Success after IF

How long did you wait to go back to the RE?

DH and I know we want to have more kids but we're trying to figure out how long we should wait to go to the RE again.  It took 2 years to get pregnant with our boys.  I didn't go back on the pill after I had them because we're kind of going with the "what ever happens, happens" approach right now.  I don't have high hopes for a surprise BFP, but it's worth a shot.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How long did you wait to go back to the RE?

• I'll be 33 this year and DH will be 35 so I'm thinking we don't want to wait to long?
  • We went back in March for a May cycle, so right around C's two year birthday.....he is a handful...we had planned on going a bit sooner but I got scared that I couldn't handle it.....DH and I are both 33 and planning on waiting 2 more years for the third try...
  • Loading the player...
  • Twins were born 11/1/08 and I had my consult for number 3 on 1/6/09. I cycled that March and Brady was born 37 weeks later!
  • We are only pregnant with our first one but since I will be 39 when this baby is born we are going to start trying as soon as possible so we will go back to the RE as soon as he will allow us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • We went back when DD was 6 months old.  We had to ship our embies and save up the $ for an OOP FET, or else we would have done another ET as soon as I was healed from my postpartum surgery (at about 4 months).  We also hoped for a surprise BFP, but we haven't had any luck with that.   We're in our mid-thirties too and want another baby so bad.  We have no idea how long it will take us, so we figured we'd get an early start.
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We went back when Nolan was 5 months. We had success by his first b-day.
  • We went back when DS was 6 months, just for a consult. We tried 5 timed cycles with bfn's and are about to begin IFV#2 in May.
  • Are you asking how long people TTC on their own for #2 before going back into treatment, or just how long they waited b/w kids?

We went back to the RE as soon as we were ready for #2. We didn't try the "ole' fashioned" way. Since we were MFI for the most part, and had frosties to use, there was nothing that would've improved our situation over time.

One thing to note is that if you have a c/s, OBs and midwives will recommend that you wait longer b/w pregnancies to minimize risk of uterine rupture. I think general recommendation was 2 years between births, if i remember correctly? Check with your doc regardless.

• imageAvaLikeLava:

One thing to note is that if you have a c/s, OBs and midwives will recommend that you wait longer b/w pregnancies to minimize risk of uterine rupture. I think general recommendation was 2 years between births, if i remember correctly? Check with your doc regardless.

This was not the case for me. I went back 1/09 and I had the twins 11/1/08 via c/s the RE only wanted me to wait until Feb so I had 2 periods before cycling and it was more than 8 weeks after c/s. Brady was born 11/23/09

• My diagnosis was sucky ovaries AND I wasn't a spring chicken.

The RE told me:

#1:  My IVF shouldn't have worked and he was stunned we even had DS #1.

#2:  Wean early (6 months) and hurry back for IVF again if we wanted a 2nd child but don't get our hopes up.

I planned to wean at 6 months but just couldn't do it.

I was ready by 7/8 months so I weaned but DH really wanted to "try on our own" for 6 months.  I eye rolled him but agreed.

We were beyond stunned with an unmedicated BFP my first ovulation post-weaning.

GL to you!

And if you don't have male factor or missing ovaries or tubes don't be so sure it can't happen without meds.

My RE said we'd be the last people in the world to ever conceive without help. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • imageAvaLikeLava:

I agree that you should check with your doc about this.

My OB cleared me to TTC at 6 months and told me he certainly wouldn't be upset if I was pregnant before that (knowing our IF struggles).

I was also offered VBAC with 17 months between deliveries.

The latest study data is showing that the risk of uterine rupture isn't what it was once thought to be. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • We started trying, on our own, when Caroline was three months old.  We planned to head back for treatments when I weaned her at 12 months.

I couldn't wean her at 12 months, so I started dieting and trying to lose my baby weight...and we decided that I needed to nurse her as long as I wanted to.

Shockingly, we got pregnant on our own, and I ended up weaning her at 14.5 months.

My OB really didn't want me to try until she was 12 months old, but he's not the boss of me, lol.

• I went back when DS was a year and had weaned himself. 
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• We knew we wanted our kids close together, but I also didn't want to wean super early. (RE wanted a full AF cycle between your last BFing session and treatment). We went back to the RE for a consult when DD was 7 months old, and cycled for the first time when DD was 10 months old. I got AF just 3 months PP, so we were "trying" I suppose for a couple of months there, but we never expected it to happen on it's own. So far, our first IVF seems to have worked, much to our surprise. Fingers crossed.
    Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I never saw an RE the first time; I had endo and fibroids removed. I got my first pp AF when I introduced solid foods at 6 months.  He weaned himself at 9 months. We started ttc when he was 1 yr.  I went back to my OB at 8 months ttc and didn't meet with the RE until 17 months ttc.

For #3  I'll go back to the RE when DS2 is ~18 months.  I'll be 36 then and if successful right away I'll be 37 when I deliver.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • We have a consult on monday for #3. I'm hoping to cycle in July or August, but we'll see what she says. We have some frosties that we will plan on using. If they don't work, we will most likely been done. I don't have the time for all the monitoring appts with the twins in tow.

A few twin moms I'm friends with said if they could do it over again, they would space it out so that the baby is born after when their twins were closer to three.  

IVF #3 = ID Twin Boys TTC #3, June 2011 FET #1 m/c 9 Weeks, October FET #2 BFN, December FET #3 BFN, March FET #4 c/p, June FET #5 BFN, July FET #6 embie didn't survive the thaw IVF#4 September 2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Identical twin boys born at 30 weeks 2 days due to HELLP
  • I went back when she was 13 months. We did all the testing again and I am doing my first treatment cycle now, and she is 16 months!
    My Blog
    DD #1 {04-19-2004}
    Secondary IF: Severe MFI (low testosterone, low count, low morph, & very low motility) & Annovulation
    After 22 months IUI # 3 Clomid + Follistim = BFP
    DD #2 {12-31-2009}
    2 more years of failed IF treatments and a failed adoption TTC #3
    TTC Journey Over~ Not By Choice
  • We tried on our own with my first PP AF.  We went back to the RE after no success when DD was 9 months old.  We did a fresh cycle when she was 11 months, BFP with twins by her first birthday!
    DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When DD was about a year old we went back for consultations. I had to quit nursing first and then I wanted my body to stop lactating before we did any Tx. It took us 2 cycles, then a break, then back to our original RE and we got pregnant when DD was 18m old.

They will be 27m apart and we were shooting for 2 years. We wanted them close and then DONE so we went back quickly.

• Our master plan is to cycle again when Anna is one. We're stockpiling breastmilk so I can stop pumping a few months before that. My RE wants two periods before cycling again following lactation. We're both 35 and with my DOR and the MFI, Chances on our own are slim to none.
    Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I plan on having a consult with RE this summer.  I don't think I would cycle again until the end of the year.  I turned 34 this week so I kind of want to cycle before I turn 35.  But I also want to be able to be a good mom to my twins, kwim? 
    IVF #3 10/09 BFP! 12dp3dt Beta #1 = 319 14dp3dt Beta #2 = 565 21dp3dt Beta #3 = 10,475! u/s showed twins!! IVF 12/12 BFP! image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"