2nd Trimester

Glucose 2 Hour Test?

I have heard of both the 1 hour glucose test and the 3 hour but not the 2 hour.

Have any of you ladies had to do this?  I am so confused.  Are the guidelines the same and the drink?

This is the only part I have been dreading because I have heard horror stories about that drink.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Glucose 2 Hour Test?

• Yes they're all the same. Have you had a 1hr? Usually they don't make you take a 2/3hr unless you fail the 1hr. The drink is NOT that bad, it taste like orange or lemon soda with too much syrup in it. Just drink it fast (usually have 5mins to finish the bottle) and read some magazines until your blood work. 

Good luck 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have not done any of the tests yet.  I guess that's why I am confused.  I don't know why they are having me go straight to the 2 hr.  My doctor's office does a few things different because they are a high risk pregnancy doctor so maybe that is why.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well that's better for you anyway, most people fail the 1hr and have to take the 3hr. So you are probably just saving yourself from having to do it twice this way!! 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I did a 2 hour.  My doctor said the rules are changing basically instead of doing a 1 hour and making your miserable if you fail then come back for a 3 hour.  They are just now doing a 2 hour and if you fail well welcome to nutritional counseling. 
    BFP #1 04/05/10 EDD 12/11/10 Missed M/C 7w found out at 12w5d You're so missed LO BFP #2 11/27/10 EDD 08/07/11.. Diagnosed with IC 03/17/11 Cerclage put in place 03/21/11 Madilynn Mae born 7/26/11
  • Gotcha!  Thanks.  Hopefully I pass...I have about another month before I go in for testing. 
  • in 2010, there were new obstetrical diabetes guidelines published showing that the 2 hour 75-gram oral glucose test is a more sensitive test for catching gestational diabetes than the long-standing 1 hr 50 gram glucose test which then some women "failed" and have to take the 3 hour 100 gram glucose test. 

Many practices are moving towards these new guidelines. 

image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageMrs Castillo:

Yes they're all the same. Have you had a 1hr? Usually they don't make you take a 2/3hr unless you fail the 1hr. The drink is NOT that bad, it taste like orange or lemon soda with too much syrup in it. Just drink it fast (usually have 5mins to finish the bottle) and read some magazines until your blood work. 

Good luck 

Uck, mine was unflavored. My office has you take the one hour twice - once when you first find out you're pregnant, then again at 28 weeks. Only if you fail either do you have to do the 3 hour.

Unless there are other issues causing them to suspect GD, I wonder why they would waste your time doing the longer test first?

• imageakalutts:

Unless there are other issues causing them to suspect GD, I wonder why they would waste your time doing the longer test first?

Because the longer test is more sensitive (ie, it's going to catch more women who actually have gestational diabetes).  The 1 hr glucose test has a higher rate of false negatives.  This is why in part the 2010 guidelines were published.

• I had the 2 hr with my daughter
  • imagerguinn75:
    I did a 2 hour.  My doctor said the rules are changing basically instead of doing a 1 hour and making your miserable if you fail then come back for a 3 hour.  They are just now doing a 2 hour and if you fail well welcome to nutritional counseling. 

So after you have the drink what do they look for number wise on your results after 2 hours?

• I just wanted to say thanks for this post!  I was informed on Thursday that I would be having a two-hour test, but hadn't heard of such a length on this board (only the 1 and 3).  The answers here have been very helpful, thanks! :)
    Laura
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagexoxpipahxox:
    I just wanted to say thanks for this post!  I was informed on Thursday that I would be having a two-hour test, but hadn't heard of such a length on this board (only the 1 and 3).  The answers here have been very helpful, thanks! :)

You're Welcome  ;)

• I did the one hour with my first pregnancy and passed, but this time around I was told that the test had changed to the two hour.  I don't know if it changed based on policies unique to their practice, my insurance, Ca state law, or what.

The test is the same, just longer.  They test your blood when you come in, then you drink the gross drink, wait one hour, they take your blood again, wait another hour, they take your blood again and then you're done.  I also had to fast prior, which I did not have to do last time either.

Luckily I passed again.  It was harder this time because of the fasting and additional time, I felt sick by the time it was over but as soon as I had water and food, it was much better.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had to do a one hour test already (I'm at a higher risk cause I have PCOS), I passed, YAY.  The drink is really not that bad.  I'm a really picky eater and have a strong gag reflex, and I didn't have any problem.  The hardest part is just getting it down in the 5 min, you think that seems like plenty of time, but it really means you have to almost chug it.  But really it doesn't taste BAD.  It doesn't taste good either, but its not near as scary as some people make it out to be. 
  • imageChelsie84:

So after you have the drink what do they look for number wise on your results after 2 hours?

I could be off a few points here, but:

Fasting glucose value <92

1hr glucose value <180

2hr glucose value <152

• imageChelsie84:

imagerguinn75:
    I did a 2 hour.  My doctor said the rules are changing basically instead of doing a 1 hour and making your miserable if you fail then come back for a 3 hour.  They are just now doing a 2 hour and if you fail well welcome to nutritional counseling. 

No Idea on the numbers since they sent all my blood work off... And I passed so they did not tell me... I had baseline blood draw then 1 hr and 2 hr. 

BFP #1 04/05/10 EDD 12/11/10 Missed M/C 7w found out at 12w5d You're so missed LO BFP #2 11/27/10 EDD 08/07/11.. Diagnosed with IC 03/17/11 Cerclage put in place 03/21/11 Madilynn Mae born 7/26/11
  • Good luck with your test!  I did mine on Friday.   If you're lucky (and you can also ask) the drink is refrigerated. It tastes like that orange drink at McD's, but sweeter. Really not bad. It's not a marg, but I've had worse. I chugged it in like 20 seconds, and I have a strong gag reflex.
  • Last PG I failed the 1 hour twice before they gave me the 3 hour. This PG I am just doing the 2 hour. The OB said that I never pass the 1 hour, but by hour 2 my numbers were fine. I'm just thankful to only have to get sick once this time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"