Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Constipation Question

DS is BF but on Prevacid and has been getting constipated, likely due to the meds. The rectal thermometer thing didn't work. I called pedi's office this am. and they said to give one "Baby Lax" suppository, followed by 2t dark Karo syrup in 4 oz. milk once a day for two to three weeks (!). So, I see online that a whole bunch of sources seem to say NOT to do the Karo Syrup thing...but it's what my doctor's office said to do!! So now what?

What did your doctor tell you to do for constipation and did it work?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Constipation Question

• i wish i could tell ya what to do but idk Tongue Tied

i would call the doc back and explain your concerns see if they give another option or maybe will explain why they told you to do the Karo syrup thing, maybe they know somthing you dont and it is the better option

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • LO has been on apple, prune or pear juice since 3 months old, at the advice of pedi for constipation.  He's FF and it's been working ever since.  LO poops almost everyday.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We were told to give DS 3 oz (one oz for each month of age) of undiluted Baby apple or pear juice per day.  It took about 3 or 4 days of that but it got things moving. Smile And the pear juice worked better than apple.

1ht

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • DS has been consitpated lately so I've been letting him have a bottle with 1 oz. prune juice and 2-3 oz. water through the day.  It's what our Pedi recommended and it seems to be helping.  It might be worth a try.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Through lo's pedi recommendation I give him the Gerber apple prune juice. I put 1.5 oz of water and .5 oz of the juice. It works like a charm. He has a bowel movement within 5 hours after drinking. She told me to give it everyday but I give it to him every other day and its been working out great so far. He has been having a bowel movement every day now.HTH
  • 1/2 oz apple juice in 1 1/2 oz water, once in the morning, and that usually gets him to poop within 4 hours, if he still hasn't pooped by that night, I do it again before bed time but with only 1/2 oz water.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Our Pedi had us give LO a suppository.  I had my DH do it.  Oh, and he went within 15 mins.  He felt so much better.  We did not give him Karo Syrup.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"