3rd Trimester

Too many decisions...time to flip a coin!

So I posted a while back about a possible job offer for DH that would move us across the country. We have a further lead on that-they want to give him the job-it has all kinds of perks, but it's timing is horrible. It is the ideal job that we have been hoping for, though, and this is our only chance to take it. But it would require moving by the end of May. That would leave me a little more than a month to try to switch over my Medicaid, find a new OB, and go through all the pre-registering at a new hospital. I'm worried mainly about the Medicaid part-we can't afford to pay for a baby ourselves, and his current job screwed him out of insurance, so Medicaid is a must. Then there's option #2. There's another job offer just a couple hours a way from us, available in September. But by the time September comes, we might not have the money to move to take the new job-business is slow for him, and I lost my job a month ago. Both are career opportunities for him, and in all honesty I'm leaning toward packing up and moving right now. But everyone is saying that it would be crazy to do that and bad for the baby etc. since I'm due in July. Any thoughts or opinions? Has anyone made a move this far along in their pregnancy? I'm really not freaked out about it-I don't think it would stress me out, as long as we were able to take things in stride. The company he would be working for has said they'll have an apartment ready for us to move into, and later on a house, so we won't have to deal with finding that. This is an ideal opportunity, and we both want to take it, but we're being advised not to by all of our friends.
Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant TickerimageBabyName Ticker

Re: Too many decisions...time to flip a coin!

• I've not moved while pregnant but if you are serious about it, you can ask the company for maybe some dr.'s or recommendations to call and explain your situation to.  They may be able to help you withe the transition. Will the new job have benefits you can join?  I am in the mindset right now if this is the ideal job, then don't pass it up in this economy.  Just my 2 cents.  Good luck!
  • Is the job accross the country more $ in a lower cost of living area?  If so the send DH and stay where you are to have the baby.  Can he get back in time if you went into labor?  Would you even still qualify for Medicaid if he got the new job..so switching may be moot.

What about the Sept job?  More $?  Less $?  Can you just save up for the Sept move then?  Will anyone provide you with better insurance...b/c you will need good insurance long after the birth.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband is in the military and we were living in a crappy small apartment until recently there were options available on military housing. Which gave us much more space and would be better in the long run since we will be in the area for another year to a year and a half.

It was a hard choice to decide to move during pregnancy, but it is totally worth it because we are better off finacially. I am also due in July and we just moved. Keep in mind that you can't move furnature or boxes but we decided that I would pack everything while he was at work. So we felt like we were doing it together.

All your friends probably think you are crazy for wanting to move, but they are probably just sad they wont be able to see you guys as much, and dont want you to leave for selfish reasons.

Since you only have about a month you should switch your medicaid ASAP!! Then you can call the hospital and get your records transfered or just get them all hard copies from where you are going now. If you start packing little by little now, it wont seem so stressful on the moving day!!

• imagevigurl:

Is the job accross the country more $ in a lower cost of living area?  If so the send DH and stay where you are to have the baby.  Can he get back in time if you went into labor?  Would you even still qualify for Medicaid if he got the new job..so switching may be moot.

What about the Sept job?  More $?  Less $?  Can you just save up for the Sept move then?  Will anyone provide you with better insurance...b/c you will need good insurance long after the birth.

Definitely more money, and much cheaper place to live. And the company he would be working for would be covering our rent and utilities for as long as we stay with them-very much ideal. I had thought about sending DH on ahead, but he would never get over it if he missed the birth, and I don't know for sure if he would make it back. I looked up the Medicaid qualifications, and we should still qualify, I'm just worried about how long the process will take. Sept. job is an hourly wage as opposed to May job's monthly wage, but we would be covering our rent and utilities in Sept. We had been saving up to make the move, and then I lost my job, and his job hit a slump, so we've already had to dip into our savings to make ends meet this month. We sat down and budgeted and we won't have a savings come September, and I'm not comfortable moving without any money to fall back on.

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant TickerimageBabyName Ticker
  • imageBabyCakes87:
    imagevigurl:

Is the job accross the country more $ in a lower cost of living area?  If so the send DH and stay where you are to have the baby.  Can he get back in time if you went into labor?  Would you even still qualify for Medicaid if he got the new job..so switching may be moot.

Definitely more money, and much cheaper place to live. And the company he would be working for would be covering our rent and utilities for as long as we stay with them-very much ideal.  I had thought about sending DH on ahead, but he would never get over it if he missed the birth, and I don't know for sure if he would make it back. I looked up the Medicaid qualifications, and we should still qualify, I'm just worried about how long the process will take. Sept. job is an hourly wage as opposed to May job's monthly wage, but we would be covering our rent and utilities in Sept. We had been saving up to make the move, and then I lost my job, and his job hit a slump, so we've already had to dip into our savings to make ends meet this month. We sat down and budgeted and we won't have a savings come September, and I'm not comfortable moving without any money to fall back on.

Send DH ahead, get a doc to induce you so you have a set date and then move and join DH.  I am NOT a fan of inducing for convenience but for you this seems like the best decision by far.  Good jobs with more $ are really hard to come by in this economy.  I am sure if you explain you wont have too hard of a time finding a doc to induce you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I certainly don't think it will be "bad for the baby" for you to move at this point in the pregnancy.  The travel across the country might be a little uncomfortable, but again, it's fine for you and the baby.  I don't really know anything about Medicaid, so I'm not sure how that works, but if you can get that figured out, I would go for it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagevigurl:
    imageBabyCakes87:
    imagevigurl:

Definitely more money, and much cheaper place to live. And the company he would be working for would be covering our rent and utilities for as long as we stay with them-very much ideal.  I had thought about sending DH on ahead, but he would never get over it if he missed the birth, and I don't know for sure if he would make it back. I looked up the Medicaid qualifications, and we should still qualify, I'm just worried about how long the process will take. Sept. job is an hourly wage as opposed to May job's monthly wage, but we would be covering our rent and utilities in Sept. We had been saving up to make the move, and then I lost my job, and his job hit a slump, so we've already had to dip into our savings to make ends meet this month. We sat down and budgeted and we won't have a savings come September, and I'm not comfortable moving without any money to fall back on.

Send DH ahead, get a doc to induce you so you have a set date and then move and join DH.  I am NOT a fan of inducing for convenience but for you this seems like the best decision by far.  Good jobs with more $ are really hard to come by in this economy.  I am sure if you explain you wont have too hard of a time finding a doc to induce you.

I totally agree with this, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go with it. We had a house fire on Christmas Eve and just got back into the house, it was basically two moves in less than four months, but hey, I'm still alive! Also, my mother and father moved from Georgia to Texas when she was 9 months prego with me, found a doctor, had me, and then closed on our first home the DAY they brought me home from the hospital. You have to think about your future, about what is going to be best for your family long-term versus the here and now. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"