Multiples

So frustrated, any ideas?

So I have been feeling aweful lately. Honestly, I feel pregnant! But the tests say no. I have gained wait, been moody, exhausted, fighting depression feelings, bloated, nauseous (I've blamed it on my acid reflux meds not working)... The only thing my doctor says is, "Lose weight, lose weight, lose weight". Granted, I am overweight, but that is not the sole cause to all my issues! He tested my thyroid when I first went to him about 6 months ago, and it came back normal. After my latest appointment this week I refuse to go back to him. I told him I felt like I was battling depression and he went off for about 10 minutes about my weight because I had gained this month! He NEVER addressed the depression issue! Anyway, anyone have any ideas why I may feel so horrible? What type of questions would you ask a new doctor to get some answers? Thanks ladies, any ideas would help.

Re: So frustrated, any ideas?

• If you feel like you have depression, I would definitely seek help from both a psychiatrist and a counselor and if you aren't happy with your doctor, definitely get a second opinion. There are other hormonal/medical issues that can be causing you to feel that way. Maybe you have some sort of GI thing going on. But (and please don't hate me for saying this) weight issues and depression often do go hand-in-hand. And exercise has been shown to be one of the best things to help depression. So a doctor who is willing to tell you that and not just throw pills may be a doctor worth keeping.  

I'm sorry you're feeling like this. Hopefully you can find out what's going on and can start feeling better. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ditto jalaiaa.

I would see a family doctor to discuss your depression and to rule out medical causes for your symptoms. Some medical conditions can cause depression as well as vice versa. My sister had everything you're describing and was diagnosed with Celiac disease. She has since changed her diet and feels like a completely different person. It may be something to look into. I hope you get some answers soon. (((hugs)))

• Loading the player...
  • find a new doc to address your depression - that's the first thing. Depression alone can make you feel ill.

if you really think your reflux meds are not working - switch to a different one. What are you on? I used to sell Prevacid and then Dexilant, a new version of PPI with dual delayed relase.... many people have PPIs stop working and need to switch after a while- some patients end up taking quite a few over the years. If you have gained weight that can also make reflux worse.

beign tired and having kids to care for can also make your body just not as well as it used to be.  I never used to get sick (between being a teacher and then a drug rep, i was always around germs and built up amazing tolerance) but since having the twins i have been sick a LOT - mostly b/c i'm run down and things get to me now.

I have also had lots of GI issues since having kids - making me feel sick (very much like the morning sickness i had both times- a slight ill feeling for no reason now and then).... have diarrhea issues, etc - i'm seeing  a GI now and getting tested for a bunch of stuff - pregnancy/childbirth can really change your body.

i would start with a doc for the depression- if you feel you might be dealing with it- that's the first thing to address.... and by doing that- you will likely feel better all around.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • imagejalaiaa:

If you feel like you have depression, I would definitely seek help from both a psychiatrist and a counselor and if you aren't happy with your doctor, definitely get a second opinion. There are other hormonal/medical issues that can be causing you to feel that way. Maybe you have some sort of GI thing going on. But (and please don't hate me for saying this) weight issues and depression often do go hand-in-hand. And exercise has been shown to be one of the best things to help depression. So a doctor who is willing to tell you that and not just throw pills may be a doctor worth keeping.  

I'm sorry you're feeling like this. Hopefully you can find out what's going on and can start feeling better. 

This.

• imagejalaiaa:

If you feel like you have depression, I would definitely seek help from both a psychiatrist and a counselor and if you aren't happy with your doctor, definitely get a second opinion. There are other hormonal/medical issues that can be causing you to feel that way. Maybe you have some sort of GI thing going on. But (and please don't hate me for saying this) weight issues and depression often do go hand-in-hand. And exercise has been shown to be one of the best things to help depression. So a doctor who is willing to tell you that and not just throw pills may be a doctor worth keeping.  

This. Depression can sometimes just be a symptom of something bigger. I would be hesitant to start depression meds if you have other things going on that could be causing it. I would definitely take your bloodwork to a naturopath if you think you may have a thyroid problem. The medical community's range of normal is huge compared to a naturopath's. I have an autoimmune thyroid condition and more often than not my thyroid looks perfectly normal when I get it tested at a doctor but it'll be right at the edge of what they consider normal and I will feel like crap. They won't do anything until it's so out of whack that I'm not functioning very well.

I really hope you start feeling better and soon - it's no fun when you feel crummy and you have LOs who depend on you.

Mom to six awesome kids - Levi is 12, Landen is 8, Gabrielle is 6, Lucas is 3, and Oliver and Samuel are 2 years old. Love my crew. Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies. I definitely want to get the depression thing under control. I've dealt with it a bit in the past, and when I did mention it to the doctor, he totally ignored it. It wasn't like he was telling me to lose weight to help the depression, or to exercise to help it, he just ignored it. It was weird.

I have a medium sized (2cm) hiatal hernia and have been on medication for almost 5 years. I loved Prevacid, but my insurance has slowly stopped covering anything but omeprazole. Unfortunately, the only things that have really worked are Prevacid and protonix/pentopanzoprazole (decently anyway). I tried the Dexilant about a month ago and my body did not do well with it (side effects were not worth the amazing job it did controlling the reflux). I change insurance soon, so hopefully I can get that better controlled. Right now I'm taking the protonix since he had samples.

I will call a different family practice doctor monday and  get a more attentive opinion.

I appreciate your input! I will let you know if I find out what is going on. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"