Hawaii Babies
Options

$$ I'm rich! Rich, I tell you! Mwahahaha! $$

LOL well maybe not rich, but we've officially used up the last of our formula, which was running about $450 a month - not having to pay for that any more is like getting a raise. Stick out tongue

Will and Dash made the transition to whole cows milk surprisingly smoothly - they're having it in bottles at the moment since they're weird about their sippy cups (they love them but only - ONLY - for water), and they insist on having it warmed up and not cold from the fridge, but on the whole the switch went much better than I expected.

Party!!!

Re: $$ I'm rich! Rich, I tell you! Mwahahaha! $$

• Options
    Whoohoo!! And I love the new siggy! LOVE LOVE their shirts (I was actually thinking about getting shirts that say Thing 1 for MH, Thing 2 for me, and Thing 3 for B) and hats!! Looked like a fun birthday!! How was the party? =)
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • Options

Yay!  Everytime we make bottles at night for daycare the next day, MH asks "when are we going to be done with this?"  I can't wait to get there, too!

Your new siggy pic is sooooo cute!  How did the party go?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

YAY!

And I LOVE the new pic!!!

• Options

Good for you! Yay for $$ saved!

We have started supplementing with formula. One 12 oz can (been using discount coupons we got) would last us a month but now my boobies can't keep up with Elle so we've been giving her more. Wow, didn't realize those things cost a lot! We just tried out the Kirkland brand (which i read is actually manufatucred by Similac) and I am glad E liked it coz it's 3x cheaper than the Enfamil or Good Start! My daughter has cheap taste lol.

• Options

Awesome, that's a huge savings!

We were buying hypo-allergenic formula for a few months after weaning and we were spending $50 a week on that stuff. Funny thing is, now organic whole milk seems SO cheap. $6 for a half gallon? What a steal!!!

• Options
    imagelola808:

Awesome, that's a huge savings!

We were buying hypo-allergenic formula for a few months after weaning and we were spending $50 a week on that stuff. Funny thing is, now organic whole milk seems SO cheap. $6 for a half gallon? What a steal!!!

LOL I know, it's funny isn't it?! We're buying all this extra milk now, but it seems like the bargain of the century. Stick out tongue

• Options
    imagelola808:

I've looked into dairy-free, soy-free formula, to see how much money we're saving by EBFing as long as we can - it's crazy how much that stuff costs!  I think I worked out it would be something like $75/week, guess i overestimated.

and $6 for a half gallon!  i know living in paradise is expensive, but my goodness.   i think it's like, $4 here (though honestly, it's been so long since we've bought milk, I can't remember anymore...)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageSanHawaii08:
    imagelola808:

I've looked into dairy-free, soy-free formula, to see how much money we're saving by EBFing as long as we can - it's crazy how much that stuff costs!  I think I worked out it would be something like $75/week, guess i overestimated.

and $6 for a half gallon!  i know living in paradise is expensive, but my goodness.   i think it's like, $4 here (though honestly, it's been so long since we've bought milk, I can't remember anymore...)

Can you start collecting freebies from your pedi, in case you need them later? When I was supplementing, ours gave us a ton of free Alimentum. Then when I stopped nursing at 10.5 months, I bought the stuff for $25 a can and used about 2 a week. His sensitivity was mild and we were just playing it super safe, so I went ahead and tried cow's milk at 11.5 months. Thankfully it went smoothly!

And yeah, the cost of milk is high. I wish Costco sold organic whole milk, but it's just 1%. So I get it from Whole Foods -- the DHA version is $6 and the regular is $5. Still seems cheap in comparison!

• Options

Yay for more $!!!

We recently graduated from diapers/pull-ups to panties so it's awesome not having to shell out that $ on diapers!! It's certainly not $450, but perhaps enough for a new pair of shoes for Mama every now and then :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagececig:

Yay for more $!!!

We recently graduated from diapers/pull-ups to panties so it's awesome not having to shell out that $ on diapers!! It's certainly not $450, but perhaps enough for a new pair of shoes for Mama every now and then :)

Ahhhh yes, that day will be awesome as well! And when they're in school instead of daycare (I discovered recently that even one of the most expensive private schools in the area would cost less than full time daycare!). 

• Options

yay for a smooth transition! if they are weird about sippy cups why don't you try the regular cup during meal times? we never used sippy cups and only used a straw cup for about a week before she refused it....so we just use a regular cup now even when she is out and about. she just never gets one "on the go" in the car seat etc. b/c of that but she seems fine w/it :)

imagelola808:

And yeah, the cost of milk is high. I wish Costco sold organic whole milk, but it's just 1%. So I get it from Whole Foods -- the DHA version is $6 and the regular is $5. Still seems cheap in comparison!

i don't know if the nutrient profile would be the same....maybe ask your pedi? but you could potentially buy 1% from costco and then "make" whole milk out of it by adding heavy cream.  i don't know how much you add if you are using 1% but i know how much you add if using skim (it's in my blog under the arborio rice post)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"