Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Rotavirus?

Does anyone have experience with your child having the Rotavirus? DD was throwing up on Tuesday evening. Since then she's acted a little less like herself but not sick. Since this morning she's had loosy poops, then this after noon she threw up out of the blue (and has thrown up once more since then). A friend of mine said she thought it might be the Rotavirus since it had been going around her mommy group (far from where I live). DD is 2 1/2 and DS is 8mo and both have been vaccinated for it.

If you have experienced this:

1) How did it start/progress?

2) How long did it last?

3) Did you have to take DC to their Dr. to be tested for it?

I just don't know how to tell if it's this or not :/  Please help!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Psalm 127:3 "Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward."

Re: Rotavirus?

• Options
    Ds had it when he was 11 months old. It started with a fever and runny poops. He threw up a few times over the course of it but the diarrhea was the worst. It had a HORRID smell, like nothing I've ever smelled. It burned his skin and legs when it touched it. He had the worst diaper rash, to the point where it bled. His lasted 9 days. I hope that's not what your LO has.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't know how to answer your question specific to rotavirus, but when DS had some kind of stomach bug over the winter it progressed kind of like you described.  It started with weird smelling poops, then a day or two later he threw up a couple of times and has some nasty diarheah...then he seemed mostly okay.  Then he threw up again after another 36 hrs or so.  I think these kind of bugs just take a while to fully work out of little kids systems.  I know it really freaked me out when he was sick so long though :(
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No experience with it here, but I hope your LO feels better soon!!!  I know it's gone around DD's class too (5 out of the 12 kids in her room were confirmed with it a few weeks ago, but we're on the other coast).  Curious to see the other responses so I know what to look out for too.  Hoping the rest of your family is able to avoid it!
  • Options

The vaccination doesn't mean your child can't get it. The smell is undeniable, though for some it's nothing more than vomiting. It never lasted longer than 3 days for any of mine (DS got it as an infant, DD1 and DD2 got it recently at 4 and 2).

Ethan was diagnosed, though not tested. I didn't take the girls to the doctor for it since I knew what it was and was not worried about them. 

• Options

imageMrs Manners:
    Ds had it when he was 11 months old. It started with a fever and runny poops. He threw up a few times over the course of it but the diarrhea was the worst. It had a HORRID smell, like nothing I've ever smelled. It burned his skin and legs when it touched it. He had the worst diaper rash, to the point where it bled. His lasted 9 days. I hope that's not what your LO has.

This, except they threw up constantly, and couldn't keep anything down except small sips of Pedialyte for the first 3 days or so.  Then the diarrhea followed.  For 2 weeks.  And they both had it at the same time, along with DH. 

I seriously still have nightmares about it, and this was well over a year ago. 

• Options
    I realize that just b/c they're vaccinated that they aren't completely immune to getting sick, I was just wondering if the likelyhood of them getting it or the length of having it is effected by them being vaccinated against it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Psalm 127:3 "Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward."
  • Options

imageSweetrose664:
    I realize that just b/c they're vaccinated that they aren't completely immune to getting sick, I was just wondering if the likelyhood of them getting it or the length of having it is effected by them being vaccinated against it.

My kids had received all the vax in the rotavirus series before they came down with it, and it was still over 2 weeks of puke/poop/diaper rash hell.  Their pedi said it was a fairly severe case of it, but she didn't seem surprised that they had it so badly even after having the vax for it. 

• Options
    imageleslie13510:

imageSweetrose664:

My kids had received all the vax in the rotavirus series before they came down with it, and it was still over 2 weeks of puke/poop/diaper rash hell.  Their pedi said it was a fairly severe case of it, but she didn't seem surprised that they had it so badly even after having the vax for it. 

That's sucky! I'm praying it doesn't last very long!

• Options
    DD had it a couple of months ago. It went like this. Friday morning, throw up. Didn't want to eat or drink. Was awake maybe 2-3hours all day. Woke up the next day and didn't want to eat, but had a few sips of water. Had a couple of juicy toots, a couple of loose poops. Slept off and on all day. Oh, the whole time had a low grade fever. 10 pm, had a blow out loose poop in her bed. Next day, Sunday, she was miserable. Belly hurt so bad and was swollen. Didn't want to sit because her"tooth hurt". I realized she was holding her poops because her butt hurt. Finally convinced her she needed to go poop to feel better. All day long she pooped very loose poop. Rotovirus is described and super smelly diarrhea and volumes of it. Yep? Hard to control too. DD is potty trained and we had to put heron diapers for the weekend to help her. She was better and back to school on Tuesday. So she was down for about 4 days.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

BOTH of my kids had it just back in early March. it was horrific.

DD got it first, she had primarily diahrrea and some vomiting. but the diapers were non stop, and she stopped eating and drinking and became extremely lethargic. Her fever never went beyond 101. We took her to Dr and ended up taking her to ER for IV fluids and she was admitted for two days.

Three days later, DS started having bad diapers, and his fever spiked to 104 - we took him to dr, and dr said he should be ok as long as he stays hydrated -- within 12 hours he stopped drinking, He even strated vomiting in his sleep in the middle of the night... took him to ER and he was given IV and sent home.  vomited EVERYTHING he ate/drank and BOOM became so lethargic the IV didn't work so we went back to the hospital and he was admitted for 3 days.

Then...I got it.

ETA:: you can still get it if you have been vaccinated. Its just worse if you haven't... DD was vaccinated Ds wasnt - hence the severity of his vs hers

The only way they can test is through stool samples.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"