October 2011 Moms

Anybody acquire allergies while pregnant?

So, I'm nearly 16 weeks along, and last night I had an allergic reaction to something. I have been known to have food sensitivities in the past, but it's been quite some time. I've had a rash/break out with pretty bad itchiness three times since becoming pregnant. The only thing I can figure that I ate yesterday that is a bit unusual for me is strawberries. I did eat a bit of peanut butter, but I typically eat almonds a few times a week (including while pregnant) and haven't had any issues.

Is it possible to JUST be allergic to peanuts? Or is it more likely the strawberries? My OB told me that some women acquire allergies (or, their allergies go away!) while pregnant, so I wanted to see if I was the only one. 

Re: Anybody acquire allergies while pregnant?

• I am allergic to strawberries, but it is a pretty rare allergy. Everyone kind of looks at me funny when I say that I am. I get a rash when I eat them, whereas I think most people with allergies to nuts have more serious problems, like anaphylaxis, but I am not really sure.
    EDD - October 13, 2011 - Can't wait to meet our little one! BFP cycle BabyFruit Ticker pregnancy calendar
  • imageJulie822:
    I am allergic to strawberries, but it is a pretty rare allergy. Everyone kind of looks at me funny when I say that I am. I get a rash when I eat them, whereas I think most people with allergies to nuts have more serious problems, like anaphylaxis, but I am not really sure.

Good to know. Yeah, mine was just tiny, red, raised dots all on the inside of my forearms, some on my chest and tummy. I do plan on calling my doc on Monday, but for now I'm just annoyed. I love strawberries! 

• Loading the player...
  • My mom and 2 of her sisters developed shellfish allergies after their pregnancies.  They develop a rash all over their bodies and get really itchy.  Really hope this doesn't happen to me, I love shrimp! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Speculating with no evidence or medical background--

I think a lot of babies are born with allergies to citrus and strawberries but grow out of them (including both sisters and me). Maybe it's a temporary allergy that will go away after pregnancy?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got a peanut allergy when I was pregnant with DD. I had never been allergic to anything. It went away and I have had no problem with peanuts this time.
  • It is definitely possible to be allergic to peanuts but not other nuts.  DD is allergic to peanuts but not to tree nuts.

Pregnancy can also affect allergies.  I've heard of people developing allergies during their pregnancies.  I'm actually experiencing the opposite.  I have seasonal allergies and my skin produces too much histamine so I get hives for nothing more than my shirt rubbing against my arm.  I haven't taken my medicine in over a month and I'm 100% fine despite the fact that it's allergy season here.  Pregnancy can do some weird things :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagerenogaw:

It is definitely possible to be allergic to peanuts but not other nuts.  DD is allergic to peanuts but not to tree nuts.

Pregnancy can also affect allergies.  I've heard of people developing allergies during their pregnancies.  I'm actually experiencing the opposite.  I have seasonal allergies and my skin produces too much histamine so I get hives for nothing more than my shirt rubbing against my arm.  I haven't taken my medicine in over a month and I'm 100% fine despite the fact that it's allergy season here.  Pregnancy can do some weird things :)

Thank you! I'll keep an eye out for peanut butter, though I am tempted to eat some just to test the waters. Probably not the best plan. And you're so right, pregnancy can do funny things. Case in point: childhood asthma that I literally had not used an inhaler for in 10 years came back and now I'm on twice daily inhaled steroids. And now this food allergy business. Ridiculous!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"