October 2011 Moms

Cervix issues.

Can any of you feel your cervix right now? I did today and it feels like it has started to open. I have a OB appointment Monday, so I am going to have him check. Obviously I am not a Dr. so I don't know if I am really feeling a opening or if it's still normal. Of course google is my worst enemy, so now I am terrified of early labor. I need to stay away from search engines!

Re: Cervix issues.

• Well, I haven't tried to feel it and I'll tell you why. Touching it and such can introduce infection and increase the chance of you accidentally breaking your own bag of waters. That's why they say not to try to check how far dilated you are.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • I wasn't trying to check it on purpose. I felt something weird down there, so I was trying to see what it was. My cervix has never been within my reach before. It freaked me out and I quit poking right away.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageforensicmama:

Well, I haven't tried to feel it and I'll tell you why. Touching it and such can introduce infection and increase the chance of you accidentally breaking your own bag of waters. That's why they say not to try to check how far dilated you are.

This, you *could* introduce bacteria. I highly doubt you will break your own membranes, that actually requires going THROUGH the cervix & it's mucus plug. If it is closed, you cant go through it. Either way, you really shouldnt be checking it.

If you are concerned call your dr's office.

• imageMiss Shasta:
    I wasn't trying to check it on purpose. I felt something weird down there, so I was trying to see what it was. My cervix has never been within my reach before. It freaked me out and I quit poking right away.

Your cervix moves up and down on a regular basis. It takes a while to learn how to check your cervix properly (I checked during charting) so if you haven't really learned how to check it or if you didn't have a long history of checking its position prior to pregnancy I wouldn't be concerned because it really is hard to tell.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the responses. The lowness of it freaked me out the most. I didn't expect to touch it. Also, after suffering a loss the stress and anxiety kicks in even when its not necessary. I have never made it this far in a pregnancy before. My husband has calmed me down, but I am still going to mention it to my OB Monday.
  • I have to agree..checking b4 preg helps and if your hands are very clean there is no danger. As for how it feels mine disappeared while I have been preg. b4 I could feel it but now its gone...I freaked knowing that effacement pulls the cervix up. But OB said it was normal for it to move up and down. As for an opening..b4 preg it should feel firm like the tip of your nose but when you are preg. It feels soft like puckered lips so a slight indent in the center is normal ( I guess just the puffiness maybe what you are feeling). some woman are a cm or 2 open for their whole preg. (especially with more vaginal births you have)  Mention it to the OB but try not to stress about it. I do the same thing..I call 24 nursing lines I get so neurotic!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • If you feel any pressure call your doctor. I have an incompetent cervix and lost my last pregnancy. I didn't know what to look for at the time. But now with this pregnancy I'm taking it one day at a time and paying lots of attention to my cervix. But not trying to touch it. Just hoping not to feel it like you described. Im sure that you are fine. But it is better to be safe than sorry. So call if you feel like anything I'd off.
    Beautiful Miracle Baby lost at 21 weeks due to pre-term labor and incompetent cervix. FET#1 BFN, FET#2 BFP, early loss. FET#3 BFN. IVF#2 BFFN. FET #4 BFP after removing bilateral hydrosalpinx and 3 months of lupron depot. Sticky Bun is here!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"