Baby Showers

Baptism Gifts ?

Hi ladies.  This isn't really a baby shower question, but I figured you all know proper etiquette, so I thought I'd run this by you...

We are having my DS baptized next Sunday.  My grandmother called me just now to ask if I'd rather have a savings bond or cash for his savings account, and it dawned on me that some people probably will bring gifts to the baptism.  Am I supposed to open gifts and cards during the reception at our home?  I've only been to one other baptism (DH's niece) and they did not do this; however, they don't make their girls open presents at their birthdays and don't send out thank-you's either, so I don't want to go basing what I do off of them!  What do you think?  Since this isn't necessarily a gift-giving event, I don't want to open gifts and risk making those who didn't bring one (which is fine) uncomfortable... but I don't want to seem ungrateful to those who did bring gifts.  I was thinking of perhaps opening the gifts/cards privately afterward and sending thank-you cards to those that get him something.  Thoughts?

Re: Baptism Gifts ?

• I would open gifts in front of everyone. It's no different from a birthday party, (celebrating a special event). Are you having a get together afterwards? If so it will be easier doing it then than at the church.

I would also choose the savings bond, my great grandmother bought a savings bond in my name when I was born and gave it to me when I graduated high school. I went to deposit it, because if you cash it out for school expenses it is not taxed, and it had matured to 5,000.00!!!  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • akayfakayf member

I have been to several baptisms(including my son's).   No one at any of them opened the gifts during the party/luncheon/get together afterwards.    

Almost all the gifts we got for DS were money(checks, cash, and bonds)   Plus we got some frames and other trinkets.

I always give bonds for baptism gifts.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I have never seen anyone open gifts at a baptism.  I would send out thank you's of course though afterwards.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've been to my fair share of baptisms, and have never ever seen parents open gifts at a baptism. We just had DD's the week before Easter. The lunch reception was held at her godmother's house and we took the gifts home after the guest had all left, opened them privately and sent out thank you cards.

A lot of people give cash, checks etc, but we did get some picture frames, a prayer book, gift cards and clothing.

Photobucket Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepam1005:
    I have never seen anyone open gifts at a baptism.  I would send out thank you's of course though afterwards.

This.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • The two baptisms I was at recently (DH & I were godparents for both), they did not open presents at the reception afterwards. One of them did eventually (but we along with others had already left). The other we presented them with our gift the night before & they gave us one for being godparents the next time we saw them (but the gift wasn't ready yet- it was still being personalized). 

If it's convenient and most/all people at your reception brought gifts or cards, then I'd open them. If a significant number didn't, I'd probably wait until later so as to avoid awkwardness for those who didn't.

• imagecozylittlecave:

The two baptisms I was at recently (DH & I were godparents for both), they did not open presents at the reception afterwards. One of them did eventually (but we along with others had already left). The other we presented them with our gift the night before & they gave us one for being godparents the next time we saw them (but the gift wasn't ready yet- it was still being personalized). 

If it's convenient and most/all people at your reception brought gifts or cards, then I'd open them. If a significant number didn't, I'd probably wait until later so as to avoid awkwardness for those who didn't.

This is a good idea.

I haven't been to many baptisms but as far as I can recall, none of them opened gifts in front of everyone.

BFP #1 4/22/11 Missed m/c 6/2/11 D&C 6/3/11 @ 10w1d
    BFP #2 10/13/11 c/p 10/17/11
    BFP #3 12/13/11 EDD 8/23/12 DS Born 8/27/12
  • I apologize for the post and run... our Internet at work went down.  In any case, thank you all for the replies!  I think we will wait and open the gifts privately, then send thank-you's to everyone who brought one.  I definitely don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable!
  • Dont request bonds if given the optoin. The rate on them are so brutal. You are better off getting cash and investing where you want. (OVERSEAS!)
  • No, it is more common to open gifts in private and send thank you notes later. Most people will give money or savings bonds, so there won't be much to see anyway. If someone gave LO something extra special and  wants you to open it in their presence, they will surely let you know. 
                                                                                   4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• My son Christening was just on Easter, we always open the gifts at the party, but we wait till it is just Family, like Grandparents and siblings. 
  • I would think most gifts would be monetary and should be opened in private. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"