Multiples

WWYD? a feeding/schedule question

My boys are on a formula fed schedule of 6 1/2 oz bottles every 4 hours, starting at 8am - 8pm =bedtime.  They're getting up once a night around 4-4:30 for a bottle.  I've been giving them a 61/2 oz bottle then as well.  My problem is that they're not hungry in the am, I've pushed back the 8am bottle to 8:30 or 9 and they still don't finish them.

What should I do?  Lower the amount of the night bottle or the am bottle?   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWYD? a feeding/schedule question

• My LOs did the same thing around that age. I started making their last bottle of the dat about an oz more and making their middle of the night bottles less. Every couple of days I made their night bottles a little less and after about 2 weeks they stopped waking at all and were taking more in the morning.
  • They may be trying to tell you that they don't need that night bottle anymore.  I found The Baby Sleep Solution to be the most helpful and she has a couple of recommendations about how to drop the nighttime feedings.  First of all, try to push back the feeding whenever the opportunity presents itself - for example, if they slept until 4:30 this morning, don't feed them again until after 4:30.  If they sleep until 5 a.m. tomorrow, then 5 a.m. is your new feeding time, etc.  Additionally, begin offering them less food at each feeding.  I believe she recommends offering 1/2 oz. less every 3 days until they've dropped the feeding completely.  I believe I dropped down to 1 1/2 ounces at a feeding around the same time knowing that they'd eat again at 8.  Using this advice, it only took 3 or 4 days for mine to completely sleep through the night.  Either the first or second night, DD slept all the way through.  It took DS a couple days more.  Basically, I think they'd been trying to tell us for a week or two that they no longer needed these feedings (they were around 8 weeks when we did this). 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with pp poster, we had the same problem around that age and I started decreasing the amounts of their night bottle very slowly and they started picking it up during the day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"