October 2011 Moms
Options

tiny baby!

At work tonight a table came in with a little baby.  I didn't ask how old or anything because I just guessed he was a couple weeks old.  He was so tiny!  Eventually someone ask and the baby boy was 4 months old! They explained that he was born very early and at 1 pound.  Keep calling him their miracle baby.  I couldnt believe that he was still so small.  I don't know much about preemies but i assumed they caught up to size fairly quickly after they were eating and everything on their own.  Having my baby to early is a worry of mine.  Anyone go early and have a story to tell.

Re: tiny baby!

• Options

I think it depends on the baby and how early they were.

I haven't had a preemie, but I was one, 30+ years ago.  I was 8 weeks early and 3 pounds 8 ounces and lost weight after birth.  I know it took me longer to sit up, crawl, talk, walk, etc. but once I started I caught up fast.  By the time I was in school, I was always one of the tallest kids in my class.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My son who is 3 years old now was 6 weeks early. I thought I has gas pains all night so kinds was up and down all night. The around 8 am I called my Dr and they had me time them to find out my "gas" pains were 5 mins apart! They said get you butt in here so I called my mom who is an hr from me to come get me then about 2 hrs later we arrived at the hospital (in the car my "gas" turned into hard core labor! I practically ran myself into the hospital I just thought I had to poo they dumb nurse said its probably just BH we'll give you a shot to stop labor and send you home. They had me pee in a cup and there I found out I was bleeding so they checked me and were surprised that I was 10 CM!! They couldn't find a Dr anywhere when they finally found one she came in said okay were going to break you water she turned around to break my water I pushed and EXPLODED! Then in about 3 maybe 4 pushes (the vacuum with the last push) my son was born. He was 5 lbs! I got to the hospital at 12 and he was born at 1229! Craziness! But is was a total fighter and so strong and still is :) I'm a little freaked out about how fas this one is going to go ha ha!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It all just depends on how delayed they are. Being born at 1 lb, I'm sure that baby has some feeding issues, and unfortunately, probably some developmental delays, too.

• Options
    imageStephRuns:

It all just depends on how delayed they are. Being born at 1 lb, I'm sure that baby has some feeding issues, and unfortunately, probably some developmental delays, too.

this.  my "miracle" nephew was born at 24 weeks, he was 1lb 1oz and he spent his first 6 months in the NICU. (my SIL has high BP and it went crazy high and had to deliver him to save herself and my nephew.)  he just turned 2 and is still catching up, he is walking (running) and climbing but not talking.  he still has sensory issues and won't eat real food, he gets formula through a button in his stomach.  he has a lot of therapists to help with his different issues but they say by the time he is ready for school he should be caught up.  it has been a long, challenging road for my bro and SIL but it is a miracle he is with us and doing so well. 

and i am kind of surprised that baby was out in public...they are much more susceptible to germs and have weakened immune systems.  my nephew wasn't allowed out in public except to go to his Dr visits until after he was 1 year old.

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • Options
    I think that it depends on the baby, but I know very early ones often have an "adjusted" age.  For example, if they were 16 weeks early, when they are 17 weeks, their "adjusted age" is 1 week, meaning that they would be at the same stage as a baby who was 1 week old.  From my understanding doctors try to progress a premie's development at the same level/rate as things would have progressed if baby was still in the womb (in terms of lung development, etc).  This is just my understanding of it, and it may be completely off.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

"God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it" 1 Corinthians 10:13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"