Breastfeeding
Options

Could LO be overeating?

For the past week or so LO has been spitting up a lot. It doesn't seem to bother her at all and it just kind of falls out of her  mouth. This week we have started on demand feedings as opposed to feeding her on a schedule of 2 hrs, so I was thinking maybe she is just overeating at her feedings and spitting up the excess. Its concerning because I'm worried shes not actually ingesting much of the milk from the feeding.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Could LO be overeating?

• Options

Is she feeding from the breast?  If so, it's unlikely that she's overeating.  Babies just spit up sometimes.  It may be that she needs to burp more often so she doesn't get a bubble that causes her to spit, especially if she's a fast eater.

Is it spit up or just milk that she didn't swallow?  Sometimes babies will stop swallowing and just collect a mouthful of milk they spit back out if they are comfort sucking at the end.

And don't forget that spit up always looks like WAY more than it really is!  If she doesn't seem bothered by it and is otherwise doing what she's been doing, I woudlnt' worry about it.

• Options
    imagencbelle:

Is she feeding from the breast?  If so, it's unlikely that she's overeating.  Babies just spit up sometimes.  It may be that she needs to burp more often so she doesn't get a bubble that causes her to spit, especially if she's a fast eater.

Is it spit up or just milk that she didn't swallow?  Sometimes babies will stop swallowing and just collect a mouthful of milk they spit back out if they are comfort sucking at the end.

And don't forget that spit up always looks like WAY more than it really is!  If she doesn't seem bothered by it and is otherwise doing what she's been doing, I woudlnt' worry about it.

Yes when she spits up its after feeding from the breast. This morning I fed her on both sides for a total of maybe 20 min then burped her. She didn't spit up when I burped her. When I got up from the chair and started taking LO into her nursery, she started spitting up what seemed like a decent amount. I wiped it up and then began to change her and during the changing she was spitting up some also. Its definitely more than what would be left over in her mouth from the feeding.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd try burping her more while feeding - any time she pulls off or when you switch sides.  Newbie will sometimes spit up like that if I don't burp her well enough (even if she's burped after a feed without spitting she sometimes spits a bit later).  You could also try holding her upright for a bit longer after she nurses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"