Nurseries and Baby Gear

Which stroller/car seat combo would you choose?

I know a lot of you aren't big fans of travel systems - but I really think I will use one. I'm going to be staying at home when the baby comes and we live in a subdivision so I think I'll use it for lots of walks around the neighborhood!  I can't decide between these two options though - any opinions?  Does anyone have either of these?

This one comes as a travel system.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3776330

This one, I would have to purchase the car seat and stroller seperate

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3156650

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2633095

Re: Which stroller/car seat combo would you choose?

• lautilauti member

It's not that they aren't useful, it's that there are much better strollers out there that do the same thing.  Other strollers act as "travel systems" they just don't come all together.

You could look at the City Mini w/ carseat adapter for one.  Depending on your budget, there are tons more options.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I recommend going to try them out in the store. I loved our Graco seat but didn't get the stroller (it was too heavy). I think both brands are perfectly respectable it's just a matter of what you like better. You can get the carseat and a stroller that is great for walks that your seat snaps into (i.e. City Mini or something similar). Go try some out and then decide....I have gone through 5 strollers and just now love my Phil & Teds (which is also compatible with an infant seat.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Loading the player...
  • Agreed- you can get a better stroller and then get a car seat adapter to make it into a system.  We have the Uppababy Vista and ADORE it.  Its worth the extra money because its ONE stroller that can do anything.  Lightweight so we really don't have a need for an umbrella stroller, use the carseat adapter to make it a system, use the bassinet and its a pram, use the bassinet by the bed as a cosleeper, use it as a double stroller, ohhh he wants to walk- okay its a single again, whoops- got knocked up again- grab the wheelie board and its a triple stroller... I could go on and on about this stroller.  My husband is a firefighter and I'm a SAHM so we don't have money for extras or expensive things but this was worth it to us so we cut out elsewhere to afford it and I'm glad we did because now we have ONE stroller.  Our friends who thought we were crazy to buy such an expensive stroller now have 3 or 4 different strollers for their kids (which are younger than ours) which adds up to MUCH more than the Uppababy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will be going for the Chicco brand. We looked at the travel systems but will be piecing the stroller and car seat together thats sold separately for the added weight! It's not our budget to get the Uppa Baby Vista or any of the others. We are splurging on the chicco and I think we'd use the travel system too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• there are much better strollers out there that you can buy an adaptor to fix. but if you are set on one of those two strollers i would go with the chicco set. and you dont have to buy them separate they sell they together as a set for cheaper. juts dont know about if that color but you can always check.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • www.albeebaby.com sells the Chicco travel systems in all colors. Usually for great prices. The Midori color is my favorite.
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • imageLurkieLoo:
    Agreed- you can get a better stroller and then get a car seat adapter to make it into a system.  We have the Uppababy Vista and ADORE it.  Its worth the extra money because its ONE stroller that can do anything.  Lightweight so we really don't have a need for an umbrella stroller, use the carseat adapter to make it a system, use the bassinet and its a pram, use the bassinet by the bed as a cosleeper, use it as a double stroller, ohhh he wants to walk- okay its a single again, whoops- got knocked up again- grab the wheelie board and its a triple stroller... I could go on and on about this stroller.  My husband is a firefighter and I'm a SAHM so we don't have money for extras or expensive things but this was worth it to us so we cut out elsewhere to afford it and I'm glad we did because now we have ONE stroller.  Our friends who thought we were crazy to buy such an expensive stroller now have 3 or 4 different strollers for their kids (which are younger than ours) which adds up to MUCH more than the Uppababy. 

This exactly!  What car seat did you end up using with the Uppababy?  I think we're going with the Chicco Keyfit. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We went with the Graco BUT if I had to do it all over again I would get a Chicco.  They both seem to get similar ratings safety-wise but the Chicco just looks so much more comfy (and cute) than the Graco. 
  • I will never understand why people here recommend the City Mini or the Uppababy Vista as an alternative to the travel system strollers.

Yep, they're awesome strollers, definitely better than the travel system strollers. But the City Mini is $240 on Amazon + $50 for the carseat adaptor. The UBV is $680 + the $40 carseat adaptor. The Chicco carseat is $179.

So you'd be paying $469 for the City Mini "system" or $899 for the UBV "system".

I paid $294 for my Chicco Cortina system.

Yes, there are better strollers. But if a travel system stroller will meet your needs and/or your price range, I just don't see the others as comparable alternatives. If I could afford a Mercedes, I'd probably drive one. But my Honda gets me where I'm going.

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • CarlaandJames- I didn't mean to be rude in mentioned the UBV but if you read my response, it was a stretch for us as well.  In the long run, the $700 we paid for the UBV is DEFINATELY going to be cheaper than what we would have paid for a system.  Heck lets even add in the $100 its going to cost for the second seat and do this math-

UBV + bassinet stand (Jolly Jumper) + jumpseat +adapter and carseat= $500 (purchased on Ebay brand new) + $100+ $45+ $35 + $150 (this was a gift but I will add it anyway for discussion sake) = $785

Chicco Travel System + bassinet for co-sleeping + average umbrella stroller (because I guarantee that big stroller is going to get to be too much with a toddler) + average double stroller= $300 + $150+ $100 + $250 = $800

And the second numbers were going with a little below average prices for the things (The Chicco travel system, a Kolcraft bassinet on sale, cheap but everyday umbrella stroller and Chicco double stroller on sale). 

• imageLurkieLoo:

CarlaandJames- I didn't mean to be rude in mentioned the UBV but if you read my response, it was a stretch for us as well.  In the long run, the $700 we paid for the UBV is DEFINATELY going to be cheaper than what we would have paid for a system.  Heck lets even add in the $100 its going to cost for the second seat and do this math-

UBV + bassinet stand (Jolly Jumper) + jumpseat +adapter and carseat= $500 (purchased on Ebay brand new) + $100+ $45+ $35 + $150 (this was a gift but I will add it anyway for discussion sake) = $785

Chicco Travel System + bassinet for co-sleeping + average umbrella stroller (because I guarantee that big stroller is going to get to be too much with a toddler) + average double stroller= $300 + $150+ $100 + $250 = $800

And the second numbers were going with a little below average prices for the things (The Chicco travel system, a Kolcraft bassinet on sale, cheap but everyday umbrella stroller and Chicco double stroller on sale). 

I definitely didn't think you were being rude in mentioning the UBV, I just see it a LOT here and it makes me shake my head. It just depends on your needs I guess.

You're assuming everyone who needs a stroller will need a bassinet and double stroller? Neither is true for us. We were given an umbrella stroller as a gift (because you're right, no way I'm lugging that big thing to the airport!) , but it only cost $30.

So, for us we'd still be looking at $330 vs at least double that.

Again, the UBV is an AWESOME stroller. I've played with them, have friends with them, I think they're great. I'm not saying those people are wasting money or anything! Just that for us, with our needs (we live in the suburbs, so we're talking strollers on sidewalks for the most part), it didn't make sense. And I don't think it's fair that everyone who mentions the word travel system gets told that there are WAY better strollers out there. There are, but they don't cost the same amount of $!

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
  • I would recommend both the Bob Revolution with infant seat adapter or the Valco with infant seat adapter.  They act as a stroller/car seat combo but the wheels are not plastic and do SO well for walks on trails/in snow/rough terrain etc.
  • Love our Chicco Travel System and I would highly recommend it.  We still use our Chicco stroller 3 years later and it still looks brand new!  Easy to fold and unfold and I love that the infant carrier snaps in the stroller.  The infant carrier base is super easy to install and take in and out of the vehicle.  Check albeebaby.com.  They have free shipping over $100 and often have sales and coupons.

girls photo zvczv.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"