Toddlers: 24 Months+

*wifeofamarine*

How are your DS's constipation issues? Have things improved since you cut out the dairy? 

We started DD on probiotics to boost her immunity and I'm finding they are helping with constipation too. Have you tried them? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: *wifeofamarine*

• Thanks for asking. It's status quo for now. I tried increasing the lactulose, but that didn't work. We did start him on a children's probiotic a few weeks ago, but so far, that hasn't helped things. We're still having to use the suppositories regularly. We haven't tried cutting out all dairy yet. I'm just at a loss for how to do this because we don't have any type of whole foods stores where we live, and the local grocery stores don't seem to carry many dairy-free options.
  • NJLHNJLH member
    I'm sorry...I'm hijacking your post because I was thinking of u. I've followed your son's story..one of my girls is so badly constipated. We've been to 3 different GIs and all they say is increase the miralax which does nothing (also tried Lactolose). I cant even get a suppository in her and she's always so  miserable. I'm bringing this up to the dr next week during her 2.5 checkup but I'm not sure she'll have anything to add. Let me know if u ever find a magic solution...I'll do the same!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageNJLH:
    I'm sorry...I'm hijacking your post because I was thinking of u. I've followed your son's story..one of my girls is so badly constipated. We've been to 3 different GIs and all they say is increase the miralax which does nothing (also tried Lactolose). I cant even get a suppository in her and she's always so  miserable. I'm bringing this up to the dr next week during her 2.5 checkup but I'm not sure she'll have anything to add. Let me know if u ever find a magic solution...I'll do the same!

I feel so bad when I watch him trying to push and push and nothing. When bad goes to really bad, he throws up from being constipated. We've been to two GIs and same as you they just say to increase the Miralax or lactulose. We tried the Miralax for 1.5 years (up to a whole capful) and it never helped. We just started the lactulose a few weeks ago. It really hasn't helped at all, and we're up to 15 ml a day. The pedi said we really shouldn't go more than her prescribed dose of 7.5 ml, but then the pedi GI said that was way too low and he should be getting 15-30 ml twice a day. I wasn't comfortable making that big of a jump, so I slowly started increasing to 10, then 12, and now 15 ml once a day.

As far as suppositories, they are no fun, and with DS, they are hit or miss with if they actually produce a BM or not. Sometimes, even if they do, it takes several hours. If you need to give a suppository though, try the liquid glycerin pediatric suppositories (we use the ones made by Pedilax). At first, we were trying the non-liquid kind, and you're right, they are very hard to get/keep in. With the liquid, there is really no way that it doesn't go in and stay in.

I'm sorry your DD is going through this too. I hate it, and I am so frustrated that in the past 2 .5 years his pedi and two pedi GIs can't figure out how to manage this severe problem that DS is suffering with daily. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"