High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

prescribed too many medications and worried

I was recently hospitalized for preterm labor at 25 weeks. Before they thought it was preterm labor contractions I was given a UTI medicine called macrobid because I've had recurring UTI's all my life. When the pain persisted and was unbearable I went to the hospital and they gave me several medications to stop the contractions such as terbutaline, an IV drip of magnesium, penicillan ( and antibiotic for infection), and two steroid shots to mature her lungs.  

In addition to that my doctor gave me an ambien to sleep the two nights I was there. ( i didnt request it, and nurse said the ob prescribes it to all women who go through this because of the stressful event)and because I'd also not slept in three days due to the pain of contractions. They also gave me a percocet when i was first admitted for the pain, my usual prenatals at bed time and flagyl ( a drug for BV which is common in pregnant women because ph balances change due to hormones).  I've been on the flagyl for two months.  The first doses were in gel and the last ones pill form.  The infection will not go away.  

At 27 weeks I went in for my glucose exam and I was given a Rhogam injection for a weak d antigen in my blood.  

Before the baby was concieved, I had trouble with infertility. we used provera two times so i could get my periods, metformin for seven months to regulate my symptoms, and letrozol for one month which is like clomid to make sure I produced a mature folicle.

Basically, I feel I've been on drugs through out this whole pregnancy and I'm the kind of person who doesn't even like taking tylenol, which i've been told to take aswell for migraines and horrible round ligament pain.  The doctors tell me this is all fine.  I've had ultrasounds and the baby appears perfectly healthy, her heart rate is always normal, and she kicks very often at all hours.  I just can't help thinking that these medications could have caused some unseen harm.  

Are there any Doctors or nurses out there who can shed some light on the situation for me. I've called a baby hotline and they always to say "hmm.. I don't know. I dont think so." what kind of a baby hotline has no answers? I've called many doctors in my group practice, but they treated me like a drive through. Get in and get out, I've had to stop them at the door to get information. It wasnt until I insisted they check me that they found out I had a bacterial infection.

Many doctors told me it was normal preg pain. The doctor who treated me the third day of hospitalization acted like i was over reacting telling the nurses to cut me off all meds to get up and walk around and because id been in bed to long and saying that i didn't need to be released in a wheel chair and could go back to work the next day and resume life as usual because he didn't know why i'd had the pain in the first place.   The nurses continued to follow the first doctors orders and not his, and the first doctor obviously didnt agree with him as she was the one who acted when I came in and stopped the contractions. and being dilated means I was not overreacting. My high risk insurance nurse was livid, and my primary doctor told me I was suppose to be on bedrest, no sex, plenty of water, and checked my cervix length via ultrasound.  

This may sound like a crazy rambling rant, but I feel like a crazy person with no answers. I just want to know that i'm doing the right thing or what is best for baby . It's too late to switch doctors now, and i get along fine with my primary doctor, but i don't like conflicting information from the others and I still have no clear answer about all the drugs i've been given and the effects on my baby

Re: prescribed too many medications and worried

• Options

I think most of what you've had has unfortunately been necessary, with the exception of the pain and sleep meds (which it sounds like you needed).  I am 100% anti needless medicine and fought my last pregnancy to avoid blood pressure meds after being diagnosed with pre-e (a fight which i won), so I totally understand you being upset.  BUT....there's nothing you can do at this point, and it's unlikely that any damage was caused. It sounds like you've had some serious scares, and even IF some of those things have side effects,  better to have an inside baby than a 25 week-er. 

going forward, maybe just ask more questions.  if it's something that is stopping labor or helping the baby if you go into labor then that sounds like it's 100% necessary.   if it's antibiotics, make sure it's necessary and take lots of pro-biotics to help it. if it's anything else, see if there are alternatives.

good luck, and try not to worry.  everything is probably fine.  :)

• Options

I haven't EXACTLY been in your situation - but I conceived while on metformin for PCOS, and was taking a migraine prevention med (it was an antidepressant) and an antiseizure med (for the tremors from the migraine prevention med) - stopped those last two as soon as I got my BFP.  Metformin was stopped at 13 weeks.  At 24 weeks, I was admitted to the hospital with preterm labor.  I got magnesium IV, 2 antibiotics through the IV, and endomethacin.  I was sent home on Procardia every 6 hours, and took that from 24-36 weeks.  I've taken tylenol, tums, maalox, and regular strength sudafed when I need it.  I've taken approved cold medicines, too.  I'm 36 weeks, baby is super healthy, and there are no known issues.  I also took an antibiotic for a UTI around 26 weeks or so.  Your OB wouldn't prescribe any medicine that wasn't tested and known to be safe for both you and the baby.  There are some medications where the benefits outweigh the risks, such as endomethacin, and they are given for short periods of time.  No medicine is perfect, and nothing is 100%, but know that your OB is taking the best care of you that he can (and your baby, too!).  Lots of mommas are on lots of medicines for one thing or another.  Just relax, and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!!!

Sorry you've been through so much, but it'll all be worth it in the end to hold that beautiful baby. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageliv97:

I think most of what you've had has unfortunately been necessary, with the exception of the pain and sleep meds (which it sounds like you needed).  I am 100% anti needless medicine and fought my last pregnancy to avoid blood pressure meds after being diagnosed with pre-e (a fight which i won), so I totally understand you being upset.  BUT....there's nothing you can do at this point, and it's unlikely that any damage was caused. It sounds like you've had some serious scares, and even IF some of those things have side effects,  better to have an inside baby than a 25 week-er. 

going forward, maybe just ask more questions.  if it's something that is stopping labor or helping the baby if you go into labor then that sounds like it's 100% necessary.   if it's antibiotics, make sure it's necessary and take lots of pro-biotics to help it. if it's anything else, see if there are alternatives.

good luck, and try not to worry.  everything is probably fine.  :)

I agree.  And other than your pre-pregnancy medicine and the Flagyl- I've had every other medication you've had this pregnancy.  Before taking something new, I always ask if it's safe for the baby, and if they say yes, I take it and think nothing more of it.

I'm sorry you are going through this.  I hope you have a very uneventful pregnancy from here on out!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    we could be twins! I was on every single medicine you listed but the Flagyl (I had a different med for my recurrent yeast infections...thank you cerclage). DS was born healthy and happy, no obvious signs of problems b/c of the medicines I took!! 
  • Options
    @ mrsmay thank you for your reply. reading your note and the ones above, I feel like I can exhale a little. I love this little baby so much I just want to do what is best for her. 
  • Options
    @liv97 Thank you for responding, you are right It had to be done so she isn't born early. I've asked if the medicines are safe and they keep saying they are. The bad thing about me is that I research every drug on the internet and then I get scared.  I have a new ob that im happy with so I'm praying that from now on nothing will go wrong and she will take good care of me. I feel comfortable asking questions with her.
  • Options
    @ aschleser, I am so happy to hear that everything has turned out well for you and congratulations on being 36 weeks :)   I haven't met any other moms to be who had to take this many meds while pregnant and people frown on a pregnant woman having anything more than tylenol, so all of this really scares me.  reading your story i feel a little more relieved.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"