Infertility

For those who have frosties....

Were they frozen via the conventional method or by vitrification? I'm not sure how mine were frozen but will ask at my WTF next week. I'm hearing that traditional freezing yields less competent embryos post thaw. Have you heard this as well?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: For those who have frosties....

• Our remaining embryos were vitrified.  (Actually, our LOs were, too.)

There's definitely a better thaw rate for vitrified embryos but many clinics don't have the technology to vitrify yet.  It's definitely more common at larger clinics.  As for the overall quality, that is more dependent on the embryos themselves but they'll supposedly sustain less damage, especially during the freeze.  I can understand the idea that vitrified embryos may be considered "better" but I don't have any research to back that up.  

• imagesmeyer:

Our remaining embryos were vitrified.  (Actually, our LOs were, too.)

There's definitely a better thaw rate for vitrified embryos but many clinics don't have the technology to vitrify yet.  It's definitely more common at larger clinics.  As for the overall quality, that is more dependent on the embryos themselves but they'll supposedly sustain less damage, especially during the freeze.  I can understand the idea that vitrified embryos may be considered "better" but I don't have any research to back that up.  

Thanks for sharing. Your little ones are cuties!
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't even know there were different ways!
    Fraternal twin boys born 1/12/12 at 36 weeks
    Identical twin girls expected in March! 
  • image1krazykitty:
    I didn't even know there were different ways!

Me neither!  This is why I didn't ask! 

11/10: IUI #1 =100mg Clomid CD4-8 + pregnyl trigger + IUI = chemical pregnancy
    1/11: IUI #2 = 5mg Femara + trigger + IUI = BFN
    2/11: IUI #3 = injectibles + trigger + IUI = BFN
    IVF #1 April 2011 ER 4/23 w/16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fert., 4 blasts to freeze, 5dt of 2 blasts on 4/28, beta #1 5/7 = 243... beta #2 5/9 = 491....beta #3 5/11 = 1113!!
    my blog

2011-02-04_11-37-12_452
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageOCW2010:

image1krazykitty:
    I didn't even know there were different ways!

Me neither!  This is why I didn't ask! 

You guys aren't alone! I had no idea about this until I had a 2nd opinion consult.
  • Vitrified. It's becoming much more common. If your clinic advertises egg freezing they probably have vitrification (as conventional egg freezing yields very bad thaw rates)

Edit and the reason for the difference in success rates is that slow freezing leads to more (but not always obviously) ice crystal formation which basically rips apart the egg or embryo. Vitrification is a fast/flash freeze method that's fast enough that the water inside the egg/embryo doesn't have the time to form crystals.

That's my "I'm not a doctor" understanding of it all.

Friends for 15 years. Married 8. TTC since January 2009
    2010 Diagnosis: Anovulation and Severe MFI
    2011 Treatment:
    IVF w/ICSI #1 Antagonist: 2 blasts - c/p - BFN 04.22
    FET #1: 1 blast/1 early blast - BFP 06.22 - m/c 06.30 @6w0d
    07-11 RPL: MTHFR C677T Heterozygous & Slightly elevated ACLA IgM
    FET #2: 1 morula - BFN: 9.02

January '12: IVF #2
    Started BCP and Metformin (New!) 12-14 for stimming in January

Dum spiro, spero.
    ?SAIF/PAIF/PgAL/PAL always welcome?
  • imageecleptic:

Vitrified. It's becoming much more common. If your clinic advertises egg freezing they probably have vitrification (as conventional egg freezing yields very bad thaw rates)

Edit and the reason for the difference in success rates is that slow freezing leads to more (but not always obviously) ice crystal formation which basically rips apart the egg or embryo. Vitrification is a fast/flash freeze method that's fast enough that the water inside the egg/embryo doesn't have the time to form crystals.

That's my "I'm not a doctor" understanding of it all.

This is what I was told as well. Eek hope mine are vitrified. Does "cryopreserved" simply mean freezing or does it speak to the type of freeze process?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"