Baby Showers

Baby shower

My sister and I are due 4 weeks apart, because we have the same group of core friends and obviously the same family, we wanted to have a joint shower. Is this tacky?? 

Re: Baby shower

• I kinda think that's a cool idea! Yes
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think it's sweet to do together. My sister and I are close too and if we were preggo at the same time, I'd do it! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I've gone to a couple of showers that did this (sisters).  Personally I wasn't a fan.  Course their were many people there that barely knew the other sister (for instance, the sister's husband's family).  It was really kind of awkward for a lot of the guests...at least it looked like it to me.

Who would be hosting the shower?

• No, I don't think it's tacky at all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Definitely not tacky, but it could very possibly be awkward for some. Unless both guest lists overlap almost entirely, you'll have people who don't know each other. There's also the fact guests have to bring 2 gifts instead of one- a particular issue for those who only know one mom-to-be or know one much better than the other. The final issue, is that a lot of people see this as one time you might not want to 'share the spotlight.' Overall though, I think joint showers should be done on a case-by-case basis. For you guys, none of those issues might be a problem. :)
  • I would agree with others that it would be awkward for guests who aren't friends with both of you. Do they bring a gift for both of you or just the one they are friends with? Will they feel obligated to do so even if it isn't expected?

Having said that; my parents were invited to a grad party that was done jointly that had both grads names on the invitation. My brother was separately invited to the party but only by one of the grads (not friends with the other). His invitation was a different version that didn't mention the other graduate sharing the party. You could do something like that. Then in-laws and people who are friends with just one of you wouldn't feel obligated to bring a gift for both of you.

Anniversary
  • The only way it could be tacky is if the invite said that she is hosting for you and you are hosting for her.
  • Are you married to brothers?  If not, you don't have the same family and family friends.  It's not really fair to the husbands' extended families who don't know one of the sisters.  Why should they have to get two gifts?  Asking for gifts from someone you don't know is very tacky.  And having to buy 2 gifts at the same time may also be a bit of a financial imposition on some people.
  • I agree with the other posters.  Its not tacky, but could be uncomfortable for people who don't know you both or who wouldn't have been invited if it wasn't for the other one.  If the shower is just for friends and family of you both then I say go for it, if not then I would do two separate showers.  I went to a Bridal shower that had 2 showers in one.  I didn't know the other girl and most the people that were there didn't know her either.  The shower invite just stated that it was for my friend, not the other girl.  So of course I felt bad for not have a gift for the other girl. 
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If it's ONLY for the people who know both of you well, go for it. But as others have said, if people will be invited who don't really know the other, dont' do it.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I think the only way to do this would be if you limited it to just your shared family and your shared friends. Don't invited each others other family (i.e. your DH's family, her DH's family or friends that don't know both of you). I think if I was invited to a joint shower where I only new one of the honorees I would feel really weird and would think twice about going. I wouldn't want to have to buy a gift for someone I didn't know but then also wouldn't want ot come with only one gift. 
  • It might be nice for your mother or anotehr family member to throw a joint shower for you and invite your side of the family and shared friends.

The, your respective MILs can throw shows for the DH's side of the family and non-shared friends.

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • some guests might feel they have to bring gifts for both sisters...that could put people in an awkward position.
  • imagejennypants:

I would agree with others that it would be awkward for guests who aren't friends with both of you. Do they bring a gift for both of you or just the one they are friends with? Will they feel obligated to do so even if it isn't expected?

Having said that; my parents were invited to a grad party that was done jointly that had both grads names on the invitation. My brother was separately invited to the party but only by one of the grads (not friends with the other). His invitation was a different version that didn't mention the other graduate sharing the party. You could do something like that. Then in-laws and people who are friends with just one of you wouldn't feel obligated to bring a gift for both of you.

I like the idea of doing it jointly.  As for guests who dont know each other, thats common, Ive never known everyone at a shower.  I like the idea of two invites so that no one feels obligated to buy two gifts.   

• imagejennypants:

I would agree with others that it would be awkward for guests who aren't friends with both of you. Do they bring a gift for both of you or just the one they are friends with? Will they feel obligated to do so even if it isn't expected?

I like the idea of doing it jointly.  As for guests who dont know each other, thats common, Ive never known everyone at a shower.  I like the idea of two invites so that no one feels obligated to buy two gifts.   

• Our mom is planning to host the shower. We compared our guestlists and aside from my my co-workers they were identical. Some ladies I work with asked if they could throw me shower so that takes them off my guestlist. My husbands mom is planning to throw me a separate shower, he doesn't have many female family members but his mom wants to throw us a shower with all her friends. (Strange to me but she did the same thing with our wedding)  
  • As for my sister's husband's family, I've known them for ever 10 yrs so his mom and sister were on both guest lists.  My husband's mom also knows my family.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"