Two Under 2

Did you have or need help with second LO after childbirth?

I will apologize for the length of this in advance... 

BG: I have an 8yo DD, and my DS will be 1 and a few weeks when this LO arrives. 

My DH & I are on different pages when it comes to whether or not we will need help from family when this LO arrives. He plans to take a week off, but says we "will need help and should plan for a month of help if we can".  My mom & stepmom both live 2 hrs from us (mom's schedule is out a month in advance which will make planning difficult, and stepmom is retired), and MIL lives 12 hrs away (and works at a school so a visit, other than a weekend stay, may not be an option).  My DH does not work weekends so I would think that time should be just for our family to get used to the new routine.

I have voiced my concern that I don't want to deal with ppl in our home after childbirth.  When I had my DD I lived with my mom and, therefore, my "say" was alot less than now when I own my home.  Delivery and recovery with my DS was easy, breastfeeding was a different story. I've told my DH if I do decide to have help that there are a few rules:

1. Help means cooking, cleaning, laundry, errands, caring for DD & DS - not holding the baby while I look after the house & older children.  This is not a vacation.

2. No one is to be upset with me should I become emotional during their stay.

3. My mother would, preferrably, visit first - you all know how the postpartum days/weeks can be, I don't think I need to go into details.

4. If anyone cannot abide by those rules they need not come, and should they decide mid-visit that they cannot abide they will be asked to leave.

My DH agreed to all of the boundaries I layed out, however he knows how high maintenance his mother is which is why I really do not see this working out well. She is the reason he chose to move 4 states away for employment.  Each time she visits the two of them have at least one argument which leads to that fact being brought up (not my idea of a peaceful recovery). Since she does not get to see the GC much she will try to take over (she visited when DS was 3 wks old and took over bath time the 2nd night she was here; at the Thanksgiving visit I was hounded about sending her pictures to which I stood up for myself, needless to say she was appalled).

My mother smokes and while she does so outside it is of no help to me if she needs to get her fix in while the older ones need her, let alone the third-hand smoke issue.  My stepmom seems to be the only one I would be most comfortable with - she is not a boundary stomper, baby hog, and she goes with the flow .

The help would be staying with us also, we have recently finished our basement so we would have room to accomodate them without uprooting someone from a bed and would still have the living room on the main floor as well.  I would think with the distance that they would stay for at least 5-8 days each, perhaps the thing to do is limit to 3 days each week? 

I suppose I am looking for other's experiences as to the lesser of two evils - do my best to deal with the children on my own or deal with people in my home who will work on my nerves?  I'd rather get opinions before I bring the topic up with the "helpers", then decide I'd rather they not come after all.  This is our last baby and I do not want the experience ruined by others if I can help it.

Thanks if you're still reading and for any advice you have for me!!

N & M est. 8.8.09 DD 2.28.03, DS 9.9.10, Baby #3 due 9.27.11

Re: Did you have or need help with second LO after childbirth?

• I am of the camp that visitors are more work than help and didn't have anyone around for the first 6 weeks after DD got here and don't plan on having anyone stay with us this time either.  I think your requests are pretty reasonable except #2 which is just silly since you can't dictate how other people feel.
  • imageLambie.:
    I am of the camp that visitors are more work than help and didn't have anyone around for the first 6 weeks after DD got here and don't plan on having anyone stay with us this time either.  I think your requests are pretty reasonable except #2 which is just silly since you can't dictate how other people feel.

Exactly this.

DH was home for 3 weeks and even that felt like too much! We were both pretty bored, honestly. If I didnt have a c-section, I probably would have told him to take less time. We had no need for help at all, and it would have been much more of a hassle.

I'd personally tell everyone to stay away for the first few weeks-if company wants to come when baby is 4+ weeks, that's fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • WIth my first DH went back to work 2 days after we came home. I did not have help and was more than fine. With my second he was off for a bit at first but the baby was in the NICU for 12 days. He was home for 4 days with me once he came home. I again did not have nor want anyone here to help me. It is more work to have someone here and messing with you routine.
  • I re-read my post and I think my #2 did not come across correctly. What I meant is that I don't want to have to walk around on eggshells and watch what or how I say something "as it may offend someone".  I realize I can't control how people feel, but I would hope that my postpartum emotions would be chalked up to just that and nothing personal. 

My DH's SIL is due in July - maybe I'll wait on their decoy baby to arrive and see how MIL handles any visits or help with them before we bring up the topic.

N & M est. 8.8.09 DD 2.28.03, DS 9.9.10, Baby #3 due 9.27.11
  • My DH was home for 2 weeks and my MIL ha been here since then. I'm still unsure of how I feel about that. Huh? She isn't leaving until next week sometime...I don't even know when. =( I kind of want to just be on our own so I can see how I deal with it but at the same time having the help has been good. She cooks, cleans, laundry etc. If she didn't I would have had her out of here asap.

I say take the help you can and if you think you're ready then send them on their way. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • My mom and MIL and sisters helped out for a few hours here and there, moreso after DD1 than DD2. I've got to say, as much as I appreciated their help for a couple of hours, I also was very relieved when they went home. They all live close and no one had to stay with us. I do not think I would have liked anyone staying with us at all.

I'd prefer out-of-town company to stay in a hotel or with another relative. Guests are more trouble than they are help. Help with cooking, cleaning, and the older kids? News for your DH - he's the help!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"