Success after IF

Not sure why this is hitting me so hard.

My sister was in her dorm at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa when that tornado came through. My parents picked her up today because they had to close down for the year. (I know that this is a selfish thought) So many lost lives homes, and property, but I can't help but think If that Tornado was a couple of blocks one direction my sister would maybe be among them, and the death toll could have been astronomical if it hit the dorms.

My sister called my mom during the storm, and she had been told by her RA to "hold on to each other, cover and pray" I think about my mom getting that call from my sister 12 hours away, I think about her sorority sister who was killed, and the other one who has severe spinal cord injuries. We survived an F5 twister when I was going into kindergarten, and I just feel like a mess over this.  I cry when I see news coverage, ugh. Not sure where I am going with this, but I needed to get it out.

Re: Not sure why this is hitting me so hard.

• Natural disasters are just so scary. It makes sense that it's making you emotional. I am glad to hear that your sister is ok though.

Hope that it helped to get your feelings out!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't even imagine how you're feeling... I'm nowhere near the disaster and it's hitting me hard. So many people have lost their loved ones and their homes... it's truly devastating and makes you play the "what if" game. And it's definitely harder to hear all these things now that I'm a mom!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesasa625:
    I can't even imagine how you're feeling... I'm nowhere near the disaster and it's hitting me hard. So many people have lost their loved ones and their homes... it's truly devastating and makes you play the "what if" game. And it's definitely harder to hear all these things now that I'm a mom!

I think that has a lot to do with it. 

• I can't even imagine how you and your family must be feeling.  I don't have any close connections to anyone affected (thank God), but I feel like it has hit me so hard, just because I'm a mom.  I heard a just horrible, tragic news story this morning on my way to work (I'll spare everyone details), and I actually started to have a panic attack in the car, just thinking about if that was one of my children.  Even thinking about it now makes me feel panicky.  Just so devastating.  I'm so glad that your sister is ok.
    My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • (((((HUGS)))))))) My BFF in HS/college kind of went through the same thing after 9/11. Her dad took the Boston to SF flight all the time and had a trip that would have flew him home that same day had the trip not been cancled. It really rocked her.

• Of course it should hit you hard!  Don't be hard on yourself when there is no reason to.

I'm glad your sister is okay.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm glad your sister is OK!  It's totally normal to feel that way, it's a scary situation and knowing that it was so close to your sister is a terrible feeling. Seeing the images on the news is heart wrenching.

Our town was hit hard last week by a tornado and I hovered in the hallway of our house with my babies, we were lucky but some of our friends lost everything.  Natural disasters are hard because you have absolutley no control!

• It's such a huge tragedy, and to hit so close to your sister - there's no wonder why you are shook up. 

I agree with the comment about being a mom too - DH and I were just talking about this - how we would do anything to protect DS with everything we had. I can't imagine your mom getting that phone call.  ((HUGE HUGS)).  I'm glad your sister is ok, but I'm so sorry for her friends she lost and the devestation everyone down there is living through.

• I think what you're feeling is perfectly normal. And given your sister's experience it's likely that she will feel some survivor's guilt...it's almost inevitable in a situation like that. I'm glad she's ok!

• We got the same phone from my sister down in Tuscaloosa, as you know. I totally can relate to you! My sister was terrified and she said she had all sorts of crazy thoughts running through her head. She said the one was is my father going to have bury another one of his children!  I am so glad both our sisters are on their way home!!!

This is picture that was taken by my sister and her roommates!

• it's hitting you b/c you have NO control over it, and it's scary scary stuff!

Even Davez was affected - he works for a rx benefits mgr, and was getting calls left and right today from people asking for the company to overide and send them new meds. Because theirs were lost in the storms. And not only did these people loose their homes, or part of them, or whatever, but they have to call and "beg" to get more meds. And somehow pay for them.

;-(

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • imagebrowneyedgrl4282:

We got the same phone from my sister down in Tuscaloosa, as you know. I totally can relate to you! My sister was terrified and she said she had all sorts of crazy thoughts running through her head. She said the one was is my father going to have bury another one of his children!  I am so glad both our sisters are on their way home!!!

This is picture that was taken by my sister and her roommates!

OMG that pic is so scary!!!! I can not even imagine....

• I live in GA and we could hear the tornado sirens going off. DH and I were watching a movie here at home and once the tornado was coming DH was like a caged animal, he's usually very calm. For some reason I was the calm one or I just couldn't fathom the thought of us running to the powder room with two large dogs if we had to.

I keep watching the news and seeing the devastation and can't get over it. My sister has a house on Lake Martin, DH went down there tonight and called me when he was driving through the tornado path. He said it was unbelievable.

I'm glad your sister is okay and your feelings are justified.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • that pik just scared the CHIT outta me.

dayum!!!!!

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • sending (((hugs)))!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageDavezWife:

that pik just scared the CHIT outta me.

dayum!!!!!

just imagine it outside your bedroom window.

• That pic was so scary. I can't imagine seeing that in person. I'm so sorry your sis was involved and to have friends injured is so sad. ((hugs)), hon. I know exactly how you feel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"