Working Moms

House cleaning schedule

When do you do it?  Currently I do laundry each night (in the washer in the morning, switch to dryer when I get home, fold and put away before bed), one load a day.  I end up doing the majority of house cleaning Friday night and Saturday morning.  I want to get a schedule together for myself to do a bit each night, instead of a big block of it on the weekends.  Does anyone have a schedule to share?

Re: House cleaning schedule

• Our house cleaner comes every Thursday. DH typically does the laundry and I do DD's cloth diapers and get her food ready for school. We both pick up daily after DD goes to bed. Obviously, not having to do the deep cleaning helps.

Maybe it's just the way you phrased it, but is your DH/partner not doing his fair share?

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have been thinking of this the past few days since I will be goingback to work in two weeks. So far, this is what I have:

Sunday- vaccuum upstairs, clean upstairs bathrooms, wash bathmats, any additional laundry

Monday-

Tuesday- clean downstairs bathroom, mop kitchen

Wednesday- water plants, wash sheets

Thursday- vaccuum downstairs & stairs

Friday-

Saturday- laundry, dust

Somethings will be done daily- sweep kitchen, clean counters etc.  Other things like cleaning out fridge, organizing pantry will be added as needed. I still have some other stuff to add to the schedule. I have started a few of these, hope to try the whole thing out next week to see what I have forgotten.  Let me know your plans.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Am I the only one that does practically everything over the weekend?

I really just don't have time during the week...and if I do, I'm too tired to do it.

• imageLJR 84:

Am I the only one that does practically everything over the weekend?

I really just don't have time during the week...and if I do, I'm too tired to do it.

The only thing I do at night is laundry, and wipe down countertops, other than that it all gets done Saturday or Sunday morning.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Check out flylady.net

I like her philosophy and she puts together a great schedule for cleaning so it's not so overwhelming.  I actually downloaded her calendar to my iphone and refer to that at home. LOVE IT!

• imageLJR 84:

I avoid chores like the plauge during the week. Aside from dishes and basic pick ups I save it all for the weekend. I have Friday's off so half gets done that day and the other half on Saturday. I prefer to block out 3 hours to clean everything, I put on some music and get in the groove, rather than have something to do every single night when I am tried and just want to play with DS.

• Thank you!  I will check out that webpage!

DH does some work...when the girls are up, he is usually playing with them to distract them.  He has to bring work home a lot in the evenings too.

I am having a hard time getting anything done besides falling asleep on the couch in the evenings!  I was thinking that if I had just one task to accomplish each evening, maybe I could manage that. 

• imageLJR 84:

Nope!  We do it all on the weekends too.  We get home at 4:30, nurse, wash bottles, make new ones for the next day, re-pack diaper bag, pick out clothes for tomorrow, take the dog for a walk and then make dinner.  After dinner, its dishes then DS gets a bath and goes to bed. After all that, DH and I watch some TV and chill.  There is not enough time in the day during the week! 

We can bust out a full house cleaning in 2hrs if we just do it on Sat or Sun morning.  Much easier for us.

• Wow you guys do a lot, i must live in a dump :)

My cleaning lady comes every 2 weeks, I do laundry on the weekend and the only thing we do during the week is dishes, trash and wipe down surfaces.

• I just pick something and do it. Like others, my house is never 100% clean at one time but whatever.  Tonight, I cleaned the kitchen.  tomorrow I will sweep the living room and start laundry.  Saturday I will sweep the sun room/dining room and finish laundry.  When DD goes to bed I will finish what I didn't or pick something else to do.  On Sunday's I clean out the fridge/cupboards and go grocery shopping.  I have not deep cleaned since before DD was born.  I do chores at her nap time and just try to pick one room or one task to do a day.  I only dust once a month or so.  Hubby does the bathroom on his day off and vacuums.  I also wipe down the switch plates and door knobs as well as the phone and remote controls.  We pickup toys and I straighten up nightly.  The kitchen/dishes are usually cleaned nightly after dinner if need be as well.  
  • I try to keep up with it during the week- but honestly end up doing the lion share on the weekend...Saturday Morning usually...it helps lowering your standards a bit too ;)...

I usually wipe the toilet as I see need and try to make sure the sock piknik under the coffee table is broken up  by the end of the night...I do about 3 loads of laundry a week- to be increased when DD2 gets here and DH will help me fold clothes while we watch a show or chat.

I vacuum once a week and go on organizing benders - currently magnified by intense nesting Stick out tongue

I am however considering having a cleaning lady come in every other week now that my husband is back to work and a lot of the chores aren't getting done anymore while I'm at work. I suppose it is a matter of finances though...

• imageLJR 84:

I don't do any cleaning during the week either.  Some nights we don't even cook dinner.  DH and I both have long commutes (2hrs/day for me 4hrs/day for him) so there is just no time.  My house is pretty much always messy.  I do a little cleaning every weekend, but its hard b/c I also have to do all the laundry and food shopping and try to do some of the cooking for the week.  It makes me kind of depressed hearing about people who clean all their bathrooms and mop vacuum dust every single week.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagegiantsgirl55:
    imageLJR 84:

The only thing I do at night is laundry, and wipe down countertops, other than that it all gets done Saturday or Sunday morning.

This exactly.  And whenever I can squeeze it in I hire a housecleaner to come and scrub the place down.

Jen - Mom to Jillian (10/2008) and Hayden (4/2010)

My Blog

• imagembenit4:

Daily:

• Wipe kitchen counter 
    • Dishes 
    • Wipe bathroom counter 
    • Pick toys up from living room-Mia 
    • Laundry - at least load or 2 like you do a day. Wash in the morning, dry when I get home, fold while watching TV

In addition to these things I do a room a night:

• Mon - Living room
    • Tues - Laundry room
    • Wed - Kitchen & Dining room
    • Thurs - Bathrooms
    • Fri - Caleb?s room
    • Sat - Mia?s room
    • Sun - our room

There are things that get done in each room weekly. Others monthly like cleaning ceiling fans, steam cleaning, wipe switch plates and doorknobs, etc. SO asked for the schedule so he would know what I wanted done or what needed to be done. Schedule is on the refrigerator. You cross off what you do, the other person knows what needs to be done. Monthly things don?t all get done the same day, if you do it you put when and go from there. Some people think it is anal - it keeps me sane. I don?t have to stress out about it because I have a system.

I really like this idea!  I sort of get annoyed when DH either doesn't ask for something to do, or will ask when I am elbow deep in cleaning.  This way he could see what's on the list!  Thank you! 

• I keep up with the kitchen everyday...or at least I try, but the majority of the cleaning is done on Saturdays.  Before DS was born, DH would only clean his bathroom.  I sat him down and told him that I needed help now that DS is here.  I set up the Cozi calendar with flylady.net and it sends reminders to DH on the things he needs to do.  He usually gets home before me, so when I get home, his chores are usually down. I deep clean the kitchen and my bathroom every Saturday, and do all the laundry on Saturday too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"