August 2011 Moms
Options

blood in stool? (tmi?)

So I just had a bowel movement and noticed blood in my stool. I googled right away and looks like i may have internal hemmorrhoids or could just be constipated... both of which I've read is fairly normal in pregnancy. I am definitely planning on calling my doctors office just to let them know, but obviously they aren't open now. Is this something I should call the on call doctor about, go to the er, or can it wait til Monday morning? LO is kicking away so as far as I know he's doing fine (not going to lie for a minute there I freaked out thinking it was vaginal bleeding!!)Thanks for any help! 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: blood in stool? (tmi?)

• Options

Of course you have to do what makes you feel most comfortable!  That said, what *I* would do...

Was it just a little blood?  And was it more like surrounding your stool (rather than actually within it)?  And was it pretty bright red?  And were you straining for the BM?  If all of these are pretty much yeses, than I would assume it is a hemorrhoid and I would use witch hazel pads (Tucks) and warm water to clean well and provide some pain relief.  I may also consider taking a stool softener and would increase my water intake - like try to double it.  Because the next BM might be even more difficult.  But, I wouldn't probably be worried about the baby, and I don't think I would probably call my doctor.

GL!! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you so much. Yes it was bright red and separate from the stool, and I did strain a bit. I remember being more constipated earlier on in the pregnancy, but never had any blood. But I am hoping thats all it is. I will try the Tucks wipes and warm water.. i don't really have any pain but like you said, next time may not go so well haha I definitely want to call my doctor just to keep him informed just in case, but I think I may wait til Monday and not bother with the on call doctor. Thanks so much!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had this last Friday, and again on Monday. Ugh...I was pretty scared at first until I figured out it was coming from my butt!  I did call my dr and she said to increase my water and fiber, use a stool softener if needed and prep H pads, too. I increased my water and fiber and haven't had anymore problems since Monday.  Hope everything is back to normal for you soon!
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"