Preemies
Options

Introduction from the mom of a 26 weeker

Hi ladies!  I'm not sure if this board usually does intros, but I feel like I should introduce myself and tell a bit of my story before posting.  I've been lurking for awhile, but I finally feel like I'm emotionally ready to become a poster.

My original due date for our little boy was April 30th.  On January 25th, while on a business trip 300 miles from home,  I went to the ER with what I thought were just Braxton Hicks contractions.  I was so sure that I was going to be sent home from the hospital that I drove myself there.  I showed up at 10p, and my son was born at 11:38p.  I was 26w3d along (confirmed with charing and a dating ultrasound).

My son was born at 2lbs and 8oz, which was huge for his gestational age (97th percentile).  He was in the NICU for 10 weeks and was released on April 6th.  He's now 7lbs 7oz, and he's doing great!  He's still on an apnea monitor, and he's on oxygen only with his feedings.  He goes into the doctor on 5/5, and we expect that the monitor and oxygen will be discontinued then.

Other than having to live in a hotel room far from home for 10 weeks (and all of the logistical nightmares associated with that), we actually had an incredibly easy NICU stay.  Our little guy was only on the vent for a day or so, and we were fortunate enough to avoid any of the complications usually associated with a micropreemie. He's done great developmentally, and we've always been incredibly grateful for how things have gone.

Emotionally, we're doing okay.  My husband wasn't there to see our son born, and he spent the entire 5 hour drive down to the hospital convinced that our son had died.  It has taken him awhile to get over that.  As for me, I've done pretty well.  Dealing with the logistics of living in a strange city kept me busy at the beginning, which helped.  The biggest emotions I feel are grieving the sudden end of my pregnancy and jealousy of women who have had healthy, full-term pregnancies.

I look forward to getting to know all of you!  And, I hope my experience proves to be helpful for others who post here. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage

Re: Introduction from the mom of a 26 weeker

• Options
    Welcome! I was in a very similiar situation in that I was 300 miles from home when I had my 25 weeker. I was lucky that the hospital had a Ronald McDonald House. So I can relate to your nightmare. So glad to hear that your LO is doing well!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have pretty similar stories in that Sam was a 26w3d baby, 2lbs 4oz (88th percentile) and I was due May 3. We're still in the hospital, but we're in the home stretch for discharge. He's 7lbs 11oz. TONS of similarities. lol So glad your LO is doing so well. Welcome to the board!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congratulations on the birth of your son. I can't imagine giving birth so far away from home. Your truly a strong Mama. *hugs*

• Options
    You've been through a lot!!  My 26 weeker was 2 lb 3 oz and now he's 25 lb and doing pretty awesome overall.  T&P to you!!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  At the time, it didn't seem like a big deal to go through it all, but, in hindsight, it kind of sucked.  :-)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Options
    Congrats, mama!  I just realized how many of us with micropreemies were due in May.  Crazy, right?  I was due May 9, and my LO arrived on January 29.  She is now 21 lbs. and healthy at just over 2  years old.  These crazy labor stories and NICU journeys make us into a new mama in the end.  We are a tough lot.  My thoughts are with you and the family.  GL!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Welcome to the board and congrats on the birth of your LO! Sounds like he is doing well!! I also had a 26 weeker 300 miles from home while visiting family out of state. DS spent 4 months in the NICU, but he is now a healthy and will be 3 in June.
  • Options

Welcome and congratulations on your baby! I'm so sorry for your stressful beginning but glad to hear that your little one is doing so well! My LO was a late-term preemie but it sounds to me that all of your feelings are very common and expected in preemie-moms. I know there are lots of people on this board who can commiserate.

WElcome again!

• Options
    Welcome!
  • Options
    Welcome! I'm glad your son is doing so well! It must have been hard giving birth without your husband and then having to stay in a strange city. I'm glad everything turned out well!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"