South Florida Babies

Life can be so unfair...

I'm about to vent about something that can be a bit emotional so proceed with caution. These last 2 weeks have proven to me that our legal system is even more imperfect than our health care system. A close family member from my husband's side was convicted wrongfully and will probably never come home to his family. Evidence was misconstrued, other evidence and testimony's that were allowed to be presented in the first trial were forbidden from being presented in the 2nd trial. A humble, naive elder man was in the wrong place at the wrong time, was lied to and framed by witnesses that were looking at getting sentences reduced by the prosecutors. They claim that a man who made a slightly higher salary than the average colleague in his profession was part of a conspiracy...a man who has lived in a small home in Little Havana for over 45 years and God forbid, leased a Honda and a Lexus for 2 of his kids. A jury of 13 deliberated for a whopping 1 hour and 45 minutes and unanimously declared him guilty. Are you serious? There was 2 weeks worth of evidence and you decided in less than 2 hours? It was obvious, they wanted to go home to there normal life routine. In fact, we overheard one of them saying "hope today is the last day." I know that a lot of what was broughout out "could" look suspicious and many things he did in his profession were not the most proficient. But they equated this to conspiracy, they assumed he must have known. And to top it off, on the way out one of the family members was near a prosecutor, tapped him on the shoulder and said " you know you just put an innocent man in prison?" And he said " I am so sorry" compassionately. How can these people sleep at night knowing what they did. Man has just destroyed the life of a another man and devastated his wife of 45 years, 4 kids, and family. Please, thoughts and prayers would be so appreciated. Our faith gets tested often but this is an ultimate challenge. I thank God every day for my wonderful family and all I can keep doing is be there for my husband's family, my family. Thanks for letting me vent and sorry about the length.
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Life can be so unfair...

• That is so unfair.  Our legal system is definitely broken!  My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and this man.  I hope that this can be appealed and be reunited with his family soon.

• I will definitely pray for this man and his family. May god be with him and just have faith that all the truth will come to light some day.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so so so sorry Laura. This kind of thing happens all the time and it never gets easier to hear about. I will keep him and his family in my prayers for justice. 

I'm assuming that they're going to appeal? 

imageimage

Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • AlbahAlbah member
    Thanks so much ladies! Eli, appeal was mentioned yesterday but the wife said she needed to talk to him about it. Her opinion is that nothing can be done. She lost faith in the system and believes no matter what they won't go against the lower court. She said they will just take their money and that's it. But if he says he wants an appeal then she will do what she can to be able to do so. Money is a huge issue as this ended up in 2 trials (the 1st was a mistrial due to a hung jury) and lawyer fees were an enormous hit. We'll see what they decide. :(

• I'm sorry :( 

An appeal would be a good idea because the appeals court is not by jury, it's a panel of judges who review the case and the trial. 

Sucks that your family is going through this - it's really awful. 

image image

• Omg Laura, I'm so sorry!! My prayers are with you guys. It sounds like the family has been through hell. The system is definitely messed up.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • AlbahAlbah member
    Thanks Leanna and Clari! It's been hell, like you say! And who knows what his sentence will be...the max is 30 years...if that's the case, we will never see him again. :( I agree Leanna, an appeal would be great. They've taken this all the way and an appeal would just be the last draw. My husband told me how much an appeal can be and I amost fainted so it's not an easy decision.

• I'm so sorry sweetie!  I can't believe how unfair things can be or how people sleep at night.  Hugs for you and prayers to your family!
  • So sorry!  Thoughts are with your family....I certainly hope an appeal will be heard!

Photo courtesy of www.yaporiginals.com
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    It's Beshert
  • That is awful! Is he going to appeal?  My husbands best friend is an excellent attorney in Miami if you need a rec.
    Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • AlbahAlbah member
    Thank you so much ladies! It looks like he will be appealing! Lina,we would greatly appreciate any recs for an appellate lawyer. Thank you! :)

• Oh Laura. Wow. That sounds like a movie or book and not something that should be happening to a regular person. Even though I know that it does - every day. I am so sorry. What a nightmare.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm so sorry, how horrible!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"