D.C. Area Babies
Options

Lap child?

So I went ahead and bought a ticket to fly to Ohio this summer.

J is going to fly on my lap.  Do I need to call the airline to add him to my ticket so he can go through security?

How does this work, do I need to bring ID for him or do I serve as his ID?

TIA

Re: Lap child?

• Options

We'll be flying with DD as a lap child in June. The airline's website said I had to call them to alert them (which I did), and says I have to bring an original birth certificate (which I will). I posted on the board a while ago about the need to bring an original birth certificate, and while most people were never asked for it, it sounds like it's better to have it just in case.

I would check the airlines website.

• Options
    When we've flown SW, they just want you to call and let them know.  However, the child will may only be linked to you on the outgoing flight so make sure she is on your return trip.  A copy of the birth certificate (which is only used to verify the child is under 2) should be all you know.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrs.Ram:

We'll be flying with DD as a lap child in June. The airline's website said I had to call them to alert them (which I did), and says I have to bring an original birth certificate (which I will). I posted on the board a while ago about the need to bring an original birth certificate, and while most people were never asked for it, it sounds like it's better to have it just in case.

I would check the airlines website.

This is all good info.  In 4 1/2 years of flying with little ones I have never had to show the birth certificate, but you never know, so I always bring them with me, mostly in the case of lap child to prove that the LO really is under 2 (if you have big kids like I do that look older than they are;)

Also be aware that most airlines will let you board early, but they won't always offer, so it's worth it to ask.  Some people would rather be the last ones to board to maximize the kids' time to run around, but I have always preferred the opportunity to get settled and not feel like I am holding anyone up.  And as soon as you get to the gate, ask for a tag for your stroller so that you can gate check it.

• Options

You do need to call the airline and alert them to the fact that you will have a lap child.  In addition to airport security reasons, the airline has to be sure to put you on the side of the airplane with the additional oxygen mask.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You can always wait until you get to the airport - they can change your ticket on the spot to show a lap child, but it will take extra time.  (The Delta guy at curbside check in last year was super helpful with that, but I'm sure your experience all depends on the mood of the person you talk to.)
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    We called to tell them we had an infant. We didn't need to show a birth certificate, but M was 3 months old at the time, so I think it was pretty obvious he was under 2. I'd take one for a toddler.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageMarieandCharlie:

In addition to airport security reasons, the airline has to be sure to put you on the side of the airplane with the additional oxygen mask.

The gate agents don't always check to make sure your seat assignments work for the oxygen masks on the plane - I learned the hard way that the flight attendants might switch your seats after you settle in once they realize you have a lap kid.

Oh, and the other thing to note is that when you have a lap child (at least with the Delta and whichever other airline we used recently) you can't check in online the day before - you can only check in at the airport.  If the flight is overbooked, you could get chucked for being the last to check in even if you get to the airport 2 hours early because everyone else checked in online ahead of time.  (We learned this the hard way as well.)

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I've flown with lap child on Jet Blue and United. I've always called to have the lap child added to my ticket as you'll need a boarding pass for LO to get through security. Also, I've always checked in online, but still had to go to the ticket agent to actually get my boarding passes (due to the lap child).
  • Options

We just flew last week with a lap child and were able to check in online and print our boarding passes at home (on United).  I think it varies airline to airline.  You need to add him but you can do it at any point-I'd do it before you get to the airport. 

• Options
    imageQueSrah:
    imageMarieandCharlie:

In addition to airport security reasons, the airline has to be sure to put you on the side of the airplane with the additional oxygen mask.

The gate agents don't always check to make sure your seat assignments work for the oxygen masks on the plane - I learned the hard way that the flight attendants might switch your seats after you settle in once they realize you have a lap kid.

Oh, and the other thing to note is that when you have a lap child (at least with the Delta and whichever other airline we used recently) you can't check in online the day before - you can only check in at the airport.  If the flight is overbooked, you could get chucked for being the last to check in even if you get to the airport 2 hours early because everyone else checked in online ahead of time.  (We learned this the hard way as well.)

This is very interesting--I never knew about the extra oxygen masks. LO has been on 20 different airplanes and not once did a flight attendant say anything about being seated where an additional mask was available--and we have sat in all areas of planes (except first class). We are flying again in June, I will have to ask.

I have always travelled with an official shot record from LO's pediatrician, instead of his birth certificate.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"