North Carolina Babies
Options

Another day care question - Fundraisers?

I got a note sent home today that 'Just in time for Mother's Day!  It's the [daycare] fundraiser!'  They (we?) are selling MaryKay lotions to raise funds for DC.

This IS my first rodeo, so I don't know how it works.  Do I have to participate?  (Will they spit in his nasty SC regulated food if I don't?)

Isn't daycare generally a private business?  Why the heck is there a fund raiser?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Another day care question - Fundraisers?

• Options

imageJuberP:

(Will they spit in his nasty SC regulated food if I don't?)

lol

Yes, fundraisers are common.  We do two per year.  Most of them have been ok, like the kettle corn and doughnuts at $6 per box/bag.  However, our last one was for Scentsy and absolutely nothing on the list was less than $20 so I refused to do it.  Scentsy is not that great, IMO, and there was no way I was going to ask people to spend that much. 

As far as I know, no one has spit in his food, but he has been recently attacked more often by the new class biter so maybe they are sicking him on my little boy as punishment for not raising funds?

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is one of my pet peeves with my DC.  Since our DC is part of a national company we have 4 per year (2 that are solely for our DC) and 2 that are for the national chain company.  There is no pressure to participate at all, but if we do - it's for the ones that are solely for our DC.  We've done Entertainment Books, Cookie Dough, Flavored Pasta (weird!), and Little Ceaser's Pizza Kids.  They also have Scholastic Book fairs as well (i like those though and ususally donate a book to the classroom). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

At DS' old center they did them all the time, but they were usually things kid related, not like Mary Kay or Scentsy (that seems weird to me).  It was usually us selling things, like cookie dough or discount cards.  Sometimes they'd have book fairs, or trike-a-thons, and they got money from having pictures done and things like that.  You didn't have to participate.

His new center is in a church and there are no fundraisers except pictures twice a year and the occassional book sale.  But it's completely normal for daycares to do them.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I can get behind a fundraiser if it is for a specific known cause or reason - like to help the girl scouts learn (yummy cookies), or to help someone with unexpected medical costs, or to get the glee club to nationals - but I have a hard time supporting the "just because we need more money" approach.  I don't know why I should have to hit up my friends and family to (ultimately) pay for my son to go to daycare...but I do realize this is the way of the world these days...

I guess I should ask what the fundraiser supports...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ours usually sends a letter saying what they are trying to do, update the playground, new uniforms, etc.  We just think of it this way, the other option is to raise tuition.  So we do try to participate when it is reasonable.
    My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"