Working Moms
Options

Another RN question-do you get to pump at work?

I am going back to work in the ICU next week. I will work 2 12 hour days a week. My plan was to pump every 4 hours (10 am, 2pm and 6 pm roughly). We have a lactation room that is about a 5 minute walk from my unit. I plan on eating while I pump. Do you think that is reasonable. Do you have a chance to pump as much as you need during the day, or do your peers/nurse manager give you a hard time?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Another RN question-do you get to pump at work?

• Options
    I'm an MD, but I shared the pump room with another few docs and some RNs.  If places like the ICU, all heck can break loose (as you obviously know).  The month I was there, when the nurse(s) that needed to pump went, she gave her kids to another nurse to watch and ran to pump.  If disaster was going on, she sometimes had to delay a bit.  Same with me.  What I did was pump RIGHT BEFORE starting, then twice during the shift, the RIGHT AFTER.  None of us gave each other a hard time...why should we?
  • Options

Another MD chiming in.  I pumped during residency.  I had to be flexible on my ICU rotations, sometimes had to delay for an hour, or if I knew I was getting a patient soon but had a little down-time, I'd pump early. 

Just wanted to mention that it might be worth checking if your nurse manager would let you use the office on the unit, to save time walking back and forth.  Plus, maybe then you could chart while you pump? 

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Another MD here.....working on labor and delivery....which is just as crazy as an ICU.  I try to work while I pump (some places have a computer, some do not).  I pump every single chance I get - even if it means pumping one hour later.  I never wanted to give up the opportunity.  It's not as critical now since my babies are a bit older.

I'd talk with your manager and if not helpful HR may be the next stop.  It's the law to give you time and a place to pump. 

Good luck!  I'm still pumping at 9 months out.  You can do it. 

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Options
    My co-workers were always super supportive and I can think of one time that I got so caught up with a pt that I leaked.  That was the only time I COULDN'T get away.  Some one was always willing to cover.  I usually did q4 until DD was sleeping all night and then i switched to around bedtime  and early am.  I worked nights.
  • Options
    I pumped until DS was a year and everyone was always supportive. I work nights, and would nurse right before leaving for work, then would pump pretty early the first time, basically get report, take care of everyone's immediate needs, and then pump while people were still visiting, around 2030. Then every 3-4 hours after that, but never past about 0400, because DS would want to nurse as soon as I got home. It did get a lot easier when I could drop down to two sessions. I have a coworker whose daughter STTN, and she responds very well to the pump, so she only needs to pump once a shift. Good luck!
  • Options
    I hate to be the only negative one but pumping was a nightmare for me at work. I work in an outpatient infusion clinic (8-5). I worked with another RN who was not very supportive. I would try to pump on my lunch break, but Sometimes that wasn't till 2 pm and my supply dropped terribly. I spoke with my boss but that was a joke. But I think it can vary greatly depending on the people you work with.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"