Military Families
Options

We're going to DC!!

Not too sure why they decided to tell DH early and separately from his date, but we know that once he passes his NCLEX and BOLC we're going there!

Now I just have to figure out how to move somewhere I've never been to a house/apartment I can't tour. Hmmm. Lol

Oh, we're looking at the Silver Spring and Kensington area if anyone has suggestions. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: We're going to DC!!

• Options
    I live about 40 miles south of DC, and I love it here. The traffic is ridiculous, but there is so much to do. My advice would be to google realtors in the area toy are looking at. Give them a call and have them email you their listings. We took a weekend trip out here with our choices, and we had a townhouse before we left.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

These are two sites I have used. They are military owners.

militarybyowner.com & ahrn.com

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! I know we're only guaranteed a year and then after that it's either deployment, transfer or him requesting to stay, so we'll see what we can find. Plus we have a cat.
  • Options
    My H will be stationed at the Navy Yard this Summer.  I'm a little scared because it's our first PCS but I'm excited too. 
    m/c @ 6 weeks - March 2013 
    m/c @ 5 weeks - April 2013 
    m/c @ 7 weeks - December 2013, D & C 12/27/2013 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

image*HoneydewChestnut*:
    My H will be stationed at the Navy Yard this Summer.  I'm a little scared because it's our first PCS but I'm excited too. 

Is that the hospital in Belvoir? 

• Options
    No, it's the Navy Yards within DC.  Linky.  The new Belvoir Hospital is called Dewitt
    m/c @ 6 weeks - March 2013 
    m/c @ 5 weeks - April 2013 
    m/c @ 7 weeks - December 2013, D & C 12/27/2013 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imagenoah-bear:

image*HoneydewChestnut*:

Is Belvoir where you will be stationed? That is the hospital I'm supposed to deliver at. I'm likely switching to Standard to avoid the 30 mile drive there, but the new hospital opens in August. It looks amazing so far.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageLissa832:
    imagenoah-bear:

image*HoneydewChestnut*:

Is Belvoir where you will be stationed? That is the hospital I'm supposed to deliver at. I'm likely switching to Standard to avoid the 30 mile drive there, but the new hospital opens in August. It looks amazing so far.

I believe he'll be at WRAMC, so either the current hospital or Bethesda. According to the website, the transition is in 150 days, so that'll be right about the time we'll be moving I believe. If things go according to the estimates of his leaders.

That's the new one right? In Bethesda? 

• Options
    imagenoah-bear:
    imageLissa832:
    imagenoah-bear:

image*HoneydewChestnut*:

I believe he'll be at WRAMC, so either the current hospital or Bethesda. According to the website, the transition is in 150 days, so that'll be right about the time we'll be moving I believe. If things go according to the estimates of his leaders.

That's the new one right? In Bethesda? 

The brand new hospital that is being built is at Fort Belvoir. I imagine work has been done at Bethesda and NNMC. I have been by the new Dewitt hospital and it is impressive looking from the outside. It appears to have tons of parking. When I did my IVF cycle at WRAMC, parking was an enormous problem. They have done something in the two years we were away because I have not had any problem parking recently.

I found our townhouse on AHRN. If you can swing a house hunting trip, I would. We have moved "blindly" before and it has worked out, but the DC area is different. Unfortunately, I am only familiar with NoVA. Have you posted on the DC boards? If you do, be sure to let them know your DH's BAH/what you are willing to spend. FWIW, we spend just about all of DH's BAH on rent. We most certainly are not making any money, but our location is great and it is worth it for an easy commute for DH. Good luck with your move!
  • Options
    one of my best friends just moved there and she lives in the Alexandria area and she loves it. I went to visit her and decided that if we ever move to DC I want to live there. it is such a cute town and was a pretty quick drive to the navy yard ( which is where we were staying because my husband was there for work). Good luck!

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options
    We are moving to DC next week! DH got stationed at Ft Myer. We found a townhouse in Alexandria through this website: https://www.maryismyagent.com/ She lists rentals, not just for sale homes.
  • Options

When you say "new hospital" you may be referring to Bethesda. WRAMC is scheduled to move to what is now Bethesda Naval by August, so you should be looking at getting a house by Bethesda Naval. 

I live in North Chevy Chase, which is about the shortest commute you can get to Bethesda Naval. But, the big caveat is that my husband and I are both officers, and couldn't possibly afford to live in Chevy Chase without the double BAH. But hey, if you're in the market for a home within walking distance of base, we're renting ours for $3200 a month starting Sept. 1. :)

Silver Spring is spotty. There are some beautiful areas and some shady areas. If you're looking for nice affordable neighborhoods, Kensington is a better bet for safe and friendly. It's also an easier commute to WRNMC (the new combined hospital). Also, side note, traffic is going to be HORRIBLE around the new hospital when it opens, and parking will be even worse. You're smart not to look too far away- it's not worth the cash you'll save. If you are okay with condo living and can afford it, downtown Bethesda is beautiful and TONS of fun. There are upscale places to live and it's a great young professional crowd. Lots of unique places to eat and drink, and easy access to DC via metro.

There is a good alternative, depending on your DH's type. The metro stops right outside the gates of WRNMC (Medical Center stop), which gives you flexibility to live anywhere along the west side of the Red Line without too much of a commute time. https://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

Some people hate the metro, but will really appreciate it when there aren't enough entrances to base and places to park.

We have a great agent at Long and Foster Bethesda- she doesn't particularly do rentals but is always willing to help. PM me if you want her info or anything else- Ill try to remember to check my messages :0) 

• Options
    imagesanto614:

When you say "new hospital" you may be referring to Bethesda. WRAMC is scheduled to move to what is now Bethesda Naval by August, so you should be looking at getting a house by Bethesda Naval. 

WRAMC is moving to the new hospital, Dewitt, on Fort Belvoir. One of the main reasons they built the new hospital.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"