Stay at Home Moms

Toddler with stomach flu - what do you do?

Our almost 3 yr old just threw up. Seemingly out of nowhere. A couple minutes earlier he told me he was sick and felt hot and then he vomited. I took his temp (ear) and it's 101.8 which seems high for so early in the morning. What do I do? Pedialyte? Does he need to go to the dr? Related. My parents are coming up this weekend. Do I call and tell them? They would possibly not come for fear of getting it. But we haven't seen them in 4 mos. Obviously I will tell them when they call to check in. 6 hr drive.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Toddler with stomach flu - what do you do?

• Just push fluids - pedialyte is ok but also other fluids are fine. My son always likes popsicles. Flat clear liquids like flat 7up or ginger ale is usually easy to keep down.

I wouldn't necessarily call pedi unless something alarming happens. Keep an eye on his urine output. You may need to go with tylenol suppositories to treat the fever if he starts vomiting a lot.

Definitely let your parents know. I think my parents and ILs would still come, but if they have something big coming up, or are in marginal health themselves, they may want to rethink it. Plus if it really is a GI virus those are often highly contagious - you may be sick within a day or two.

Remember though, a lot of times vomiting is just another symptom in kids - it could be a URI starting, an ear infection, etc - not just a 'stomach flu' from one episode of vomiting.

Hope he feels better soon and that nobody else catches it! Wash wash wash those hands!!!!

• imageEmcat:

Just push fluids - pedialyte is ok but also other fluids are fine. My son always likes popsicles. Flat clear liquids like flat 7up or ginger ale is usually easy to keep down.

I wouldn't necessarily call pedi unless something alarming happens. Keep an eye on his urine output. You may need to go with tylenol suppositories to treat the fever if he starts vomiting a lot.

Definitely let your parents know. I think my parents and ILs would still come, but if they have something big coming up, or are in marginal health themselves, they may want to rethink it. Plus if it really is a GI virus those are often highly contagious - you may be sick within a day or two.

Remember though, a lot of times vomiting is just another symptom in kids - it could be a URI starting, an ear infection, etc - not just a 'stomach flu' from one episode of vomiting.

Hope he feels better soon and that nobody else catches it! Wash wash wash those hands!!!!

You make a good point.  He had a cold + croup a couple weeks ago.  It seems like the congestion is pretty much gone but maybe there is something lingering.  We will see... I pray this isn't the highly contagious flu... I'm hosting a baby shower tomorrow too.  Good times! 

So far he has kept down 4 small sips of water/juice this morning so fingers crossed... 

• Loading the player...
  • Oh Ims... I'm so sorry!  The stomach flu stinks!  I've been through it with my girls a few times this year alone and it is never fun. 

When my 3 year old got it recently I just gave her liquids and a mild diet of food if she was hungry.  I don't think you need to bother with Pedialyte at this age unless it is excessive and they are not keeping anything down for awhile.  Vomiting a few times through the day shouldn't require it.  At least we didn't give it. 

If you can get him to lay down I'd make him a little sick bed, put an empty trash can or bucket near him, cover him with a towel in case he can't make it, and if you can try to teach him to throw up in a toilet.  My 3 year old picked it up pretty fast and it really made things easier.  Then we just used the towel for when she was sleeping in case she got sick overnight and couldn't get up in time.  It saved some sheets at least. 

I'd definitely let your parents know.  It would stink not to see them but you want them to at least know that there is a stomach bug in the house and come at their own risk.

If it makes you feel any better I am dealign with illness too!  We are having our middle child's third birthday party Sunday and of course today she comes down with a bad cough and a 101.2  degree fever.  And tomorrow is opening day for Dutch Wonderlan ( a local kids amusement park we have season passes to) and they kids were SO looking forward to going.  I'm hoping this passes quickly and our weekend plans are ok. 

• I'd do pedialyte or Gatorade to replenish the electrolytes lost.  Maybe not if he just threw up the one time though, depends on how he's doing now....

I honestly don't think the doctor can do anything if it's just a stomach bug.  I wouldn't call unless there's other symptoms or the fever got really high. (that always freaks me out.)

Just do Tylenol to keep the fever down and try to keep the fluids in him.  If he will eat, I'd do jello, soup, dry toast or a popsicle.  Maybe a banana if he has diarrhea too.

Good luck!!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • sounds like what DH and I just had.

It's NOT pretty. and it is down right EVIL!

I felt like serious DEATH. It (for me) lasted about 10hrs. And I wanted to die each second of it.

try to keep him hydrated and cool. I would put a call into the dr- (i threw up so much that the tylenol would have done nothing for me - i didn't take it until later that night when i felt i was done puking)

I am praaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaying that Gisele and Chase don't get it. Because I simply cannot imagine them going through what we just went through.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I have to tell you - Do NOT let your parents come!  My Mom came down from the bay area to visit, got the stomach flu two days later (though we thought Jackson was over it) and she is now stuck here until she is well.

Do not do it! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ahhh, ok now I am kind of freaking out.  My parents are on their way. 

But the good news is Tyler hasn't thrown up since this morning.  He was achy, and feverish all morning.  Once he was holding down some liquids, I gave him some ibuprofen.  About 1/2 hour after that he seemed to have more energy and ate a piece of bread.  So things are looking up.  Hopefully his nap will re-energize him.  And his fever has gone down slightly.  (Peak was 101.8).

If this isn't something like the stomach flu, what is it?  I never understand the random stuff.  

• How is he doing now?
  • imageStacyc625:
    How is he doing now?
    He is doing better but I am still nervous. He only puked the one time but after he got up from his nap his fever was at 102. I gave more ibuprofen and he seems to feel better again. He has also been saying his head hurts and points to the back. I'm not sure I'd that is related to the fever or what. How are YOU doing?
  • imagelms_bride:
    imageStacyc625:
    How is he doing now?
    He is doing better but I am still nervous. He only puked the one time but after he got up from his nap his fever was at 102. I gave more ibuprofen and he seems to feel better again. He has also been saying his head hurts and points to the back. I'm not sure I'd that is related to the fever or what. How are YOU doing?

back of his head huh? mmmm. that is strange. hope he feels better. did your parents come in? maybe it was just a fluke. I would just keep him cool, hydrated and keep a check on his temp.

I am feeling much better. DH is still a whiney baby. But such is life. lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"