Attachment Parenting

F/U to Ari is Weaned

This morning Ari asked to nurse. I knew if I ate that damn pizza he would. 

I didn't want to refuse, but obviously didn't want to give him a reaction. I told him mommy's milk was all gone. He said "mommy's milk all gone, have breakfast" and got out of bed. 

He mentioned at least 769674 times today "mommy's milk all gone". He's been talking a lot about nursing the last several days actually, but not asking to nurse & as I said last night he hadn't nursed in 5 days.

Every time he said my milk was gone today I teared up. I felt really good about this whole thing yesterday, but today I was just sad. I wish I would've been able to nurse him this morning & let that be the last, or just let it continue. But at the same time, keeping up this level of diet restrictions for 2-3 nursing sessions a week tops is kind of crazy. I think the time is right. Maybe he's also processing it & that's why he's talking about it.

Who knows. Just had to let this out where ppl would understand. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: F/U to Ari is Weaned

• [[hugs]]

It's tough. My DS is weaning now at 26 months, partly on his own and partly because I'm just ready to be done. It's so hard, so much harder for me emotionally than I though it would be. He was such an addict, too - he'd nurse for hours if I let him, and he was a huge snacker. It got to the point where I could not even sit down on the couch for 30 seconds without him climbing up for "nanas".

His last nursing was last Monday night - he still asks for it a few times a day but is easily distracted by toys or a snack and it seems to have been much less traumatic than I was expecting for him. No tears at all, thus far.

I figured I'd give it a shot, and I really didn't expect it to work so I didn't take the time to get some good snuggles in during our last nursing, and I really regret that.

• Hugs to both of you! I am so *not* looking forward to that time. :(

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Ahh... hugs to you both!

Before having DS I never thought about nursing past a year. Now the verbal nursing stories make me want to go as long as possible, but freak DH out. 

I am glad you feel good about the whole thing. I think the nostalgia and reminiscing really shows what a good thing you had.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket Photobucket
  • Oh, I see that day coming and will be so sad. My best friend's son weaned in a similar manner and at a similar age and when she told him the milk was all gone he let out "an earth-shattering scream with hands on his face, a-la McCaukey Culkin in home alone!" I think that each child processes it differently, and you are probably right that him saying it over and over is his way of processing it. We have lots of food restrictions, too, and I am committed to following them for as long as she wants to nurse, but after a week I would have been all over that pizza! (as a sidenote, how did you feel? I am so worried I will never be able to eat dairy again) I have seen your posts and as an outsider I can see how committed you have been to an awesome nursing experience and I think you achieved it. I think being sad is totally natural and expected.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I thought about asking you would respond if he asked again on your OP but didn't want to jinx you or bring you down. The allergy thing makes it so final once you "contaminate" your supply. I hope the rest of the process, both emotionally a physically, goes smoothly. And if gets rocky at times you'll have a lot of choices in terms of emotional eating to help you cope.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagedrea_raye:

Ahh... hugs to you both!

Before having DS I never thought about nursing past a year. Now the verbal nursing stories make me want to go as long as possible, but freak DH out. 

I am glad you feel good about the whole thing. I think the nostalgia and reminiscing really shows what a good thing you had.

All of this exactly!  I think it will bring me to tears if he asks after we are done.  I have tried telling him mommy's milk is sleeping at night at that brings him to tears, lol! 

WM, you have done such a wonderful thing and hearing him say it over and over tells you he loved it too but clearly he is okay with it.  Best of luck as you move on from this phase of your relationship.

• imagesolidio:
    Hugs to both of you! I am so *not* looking forward to that time. :(

this totally reading these posts makes me tear up about it. I have to give up nuts for Bf for the first 4mths all i could think about was PB&J and snickers bars.I thought i would just be done at 12mths but now 8.5mths and a few struggles into it i cant imagine just cutting him off like that. I want to go until he is ready.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHarper'smom:
    I thought about asking you would respond if he asked again on your OP but didn't want to jinx you or bring you down. The allergy thing makes it so final once you "contaminate" your supply. I hope the rest of the process, both emotionally a physically, goes smoothly. And if gets rocky at times you'll have a lot of choices in terms of emotional eating to help you cope.

Just what I needed to hear to make me smile. :) He hasn't brought it up again at all today. So I think yesterday was just processing like I suspected.

• Congrats on a gentle weaning.  I'm so glad it's gone smoothly for you.  The emotions are to be expected.  (((HUGS)))  You can change your siggy now to something like "I eat what I want!!" 
  • imageQuazel:

WM, you have done such a wonderful thing and hearing him say it over and over tells you he loved it too but clearly he is okay with it.  Best of luck as you move on from this phase of your relationship. 

this!  I didn't get a chance to respond to your original post yesterday, but reading this literally made me tear up.  we've certainly had our struggles with bf'ing (initially, and then with food sensitivities), but i know i'm going to be sad when we wean.  you've done *such* a good job for Ari! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"