Toddlers: 24 Months+

ipad instead of books

DH usually puts DD to bed at night, and since he got the ipad, he's been using the ebooks and a few other kid-friendly apps to wind her down at night. While I'm all for any kind of interactivity, I'm also a bit of a traditionalist. Don't kids need to use their imaginations when they're read to, and seeing still pictures in a book with actual pages? These ebooks are great, but i feel like they don't leave much to the imagination when the pictures are animated like a cartoon playing the story out for you. 

Does that make sense? Am i totally overthinking this whole ebook thing? 

Re: ipad instead of books

• I wouldn't be okay with it on a nightly basis. I'd be okay with it occasionally. There are times where I put them in front of nick jr instead of reading to them. But on a nightly basis? I think they should be read real books. We have hundreds of books and read for an hour some nights.
  • maybe it's my unpopular opinion, but that really doesn't seem any better than watching tv right before bed. I would stick to real books. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemelrrr:
    maybe it's my unpopular opinion, but that really doesn't seem any better than watching tv right before bed. I would stick to real books. 

Ditto.  I don't think it's nearly as relaxing to use something electronic before bed as it is to hold a paper book.  And I think if you want to raise a kid who likes to read, part of that is holding and feeling the book while they're learning. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We are going through the same thoughts now.  We want to get DS a Touch for his birthday mainly for music, videos, and games.  He loves my phone.  MIL wants to get him a Nook.  She says she likes the idea of getting any children's book on it.  Well, I can do that on the Touch and I actually prefer to get him books that he can flip through and hold and browse, etc..
  • My daughter loves my iPad and calls it coloring. She loves to pick the books from her bookshelf more. I like it this way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemlf625:

imagemelrrr:
    maybe it's my unpopular opinion, but that really doesn't seem any better than watching tv right before bed. I would stick to real books. 

Ditto.  I don't think it's nearly as relaxing to use something electronic before bed as it is to hold a paper book.  And I think if you want to raise a kid who likes to read, part of that is holding and feeling the book while they're learning. 

ditto ditto ditto. We have an ipad and it is for "emergencies" only. Like airplane travel... it's a very special "toy" that dd does not get to play with very often.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Interesting discussion!

We don't have an iPad, but my mom does. DS likes to "read" a certain Sesame Street book on it and I definitely feel like it's a lot different than reading a real book. It is kind of like watching TV because grover is jumping and talked all over the "page." I think it's ok to use every once and a while, but it won't become a replacement for real books.

• I much prefer books and newspapers and magazines to electronic media, in general, and this is what we have in our home. No kindles, ipads, nooks, etc. So, I'm totally with you. I don't even really like DD watching much TV.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"