Upstate NY Babies
Options

moms that sought EI

what were the signs you noticed?  what gave you pause with your LOs behavior?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: moms that sought EI

• Options
    At 18 months, he was babbling, but had no functional words. He wasn't even saying Dada. I could tell he could understand everything I was saying to him, but nothing was coming back. By the time we had the eval, he was starting to say a few words, and the therapist felt she had heard him say enough of them so that he didn't qualify.
  • Options

We started solids at 6 months old and she just couldn't get to leave her tongue down when the spoon was coming in.  Combined with the trouble we had with bottle drinking (poor suck and choking on fast flow).  And all the pain I had with bfing, partly due to tongue thrusting and also that she would have her tongue above my nipple.  The pedi said at the 6 month appt that those things ::may:: indicate that she will be behind in talking too.  But that she would make note in the chart to keep a close eye on it at the 12 month appt.  I did not want to wait if there was a problem.  I'm glad I called, they came around 7 months and gave me tips on how to keep her tongue down when eating.  They also told me that she would have qualified back at like 2 or 3 months from her torticollis and head shape, (but again that was a wait & see from the pedi, but I took her to the chiropractor instead).

She also could not drink from a sippy of water.  She would choke hard, eyes water, face turned red.  But the choking issues I just assumed would go away with practice of drinking.  I didn't realize at that time that it would continue.  At her 15 month appt, I asked the pedi when kids stop choking with a sippy.  She said that she should have already stopped a long time ago and this time referred me to the EI.  Which also ended up referring us to a swallow study.  That did show her aspirating, but they were still unsure if it was just something she needed to learn like a sensory issue.  Luckily, she has never gotten an URI or anything even though she still chokes pretty frequently. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ethan doesn't talk in 2 word sentences.  His only sentences are I want that, that's mine, what's that?  He can understand everything I say and follow commands.  When it comes to knowing animals he knows them all but only makes the sound.  He won't say the name of an animal.  He won't even try.  The other night he wanted to watch chuggington. he kept saying do do(his word for chuggington). We told him say chuggington, chuggers, ch and we'd put it on.  He wouldn't do it. At 2 they should have 50 words.  E has around 26.  It might be a little more now. I'm sure when the person comes to evaluate him she's going to tell me he's fine.
  • Options

Evan has TONS of babble but less than 20 words that he uses regularly. And we've only heard him say two-word sentences a few times. We kept feeling that he was on the verge of an explosion - but he would just pick up about a word every three months or something.

Behavior-wise...Evan has always had some sensory issues but he seemed to outgrow the bigger ones he was having. But things sometimes do bug him more than the average kid. He's always on the go and seeking thrills. He's getting help with sitting and doing a task. With us - he just wants to wrestle and run around. But when his teacher is here he sits and plays so nicely with her. Hopefully he'll do that with us soon :) But he also is pretty well behaved and redirects fine - he is very easy going for the most part. His biggest issues when we go somewhere are just being able to stay with us - all he wants to do is run around. If this is due to a sensory issue (as opposed to just being 2) then we hope OT can help him and us manage it.

At his OT evaluation - the OT took a koosh ball and this other sticky ball out of her bag and he really really wanted to play with it but once he touched it his WHOLE body got the willies - from head to toe. He kept smiling at it and wanted to play with it -- but his brain would just not let him. So he's going to get some help with this sort of thing too.

• Options

Tyler was always off, something off.  I knew it at birth, but I had no idea.  He never slept so I chalked a lot of it up to some sort of sleep disorder for a long time.  He was never behind other kids his age, advanced in some ways.  His speech met all the guidlines, but still wasn't normal, he labeled things he didn't communicate needs/wants.  I tried to find help by seeking out sleep help, but there was nothing, pedi said he was fine, fine, fine.  He did finally stop screaming all night and started sleeping a couple months before his second birthday ( confess I put a TV in his room and somehow it helped him sleep).  His behavior still remained extreme, everything was extreme.  I couldn't leave the house because I couldn't keep him under control or safe.  Still, pedi said he was fine and there were no delays.

What made me seek help was a trip to the pediatric opthamologist (Ty has stubismas).  He was concerned about Ty's head size, I knew he had a small head but pedi never cared, he also kept asking about any delays Ty has or had.  And I could tell Ty behavior over the current and past visits didn't sit right with him.  So I went to my normal pedi and grossly exaggerated his speech issues.  I don't think my story is a typical one.

I would definitely recommend ANY possible concern to call.  It really isn't a horrible experience.  I think that most kids (ty didn't) enjoy that testing.  It costs you nothing, it doesn't follow them around if they test fine.  You don't have to fill out a bunch of paperwork or anything.  You don't even have to leave your house!  They all come to you!  They couldn't make it any easier or painless!

• Options

M is behind in speech. at 18 months he had zero words and no expressive or repetitive speech. his 3 month eval showed progress but he is still behind.

since starting ST in January he has started using words. he'll say: ball, dada, more, on his own but other words that he knows and can say he has to be prompted, i.e. asking 'what's that'. M will do animal sounds and when i ask him 'what's that' and point to the cat he'll make the sound, eventhough he has said kitty on a previous occasion. recentely he has become fixated on the alphabet and will identify and say: a, e, o, c and sometimes t & i. and he will say about 2/3 of the alphabet back when you say the alphabet. he does babble and have conversations and he has developed more sounds but it seems like once he masters something he refuses to use it.

i'm hoping that the 24 month speech burst of speech hits him big time next month

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"