Preemies
Options

carseats for preemies?

what are the best car seats for preemies?  looks like i will probably be delivering early and i'm trying to get my baby registry updated with preemie stuff.  :/  is there anything special i should definitely be registering for?  thanks. 
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: carseats for preemies?

• Options

No, no specific car seat for a preemie...how preemie do you think you'll be? The babies have to pass a car seat test before leaving NICU.

I didn't need anything other than preemie clothes (that I didn't already have). Receiving blankets. Oh and I got an amazing ice pack bag for milk transport.

• Options

It really depends - - my DS didn't come home until after his due date, and he was more than able to use a regular car seat.  We registered for the Graco Safeseat (up to 35 lb) and it worked great. I actually liked having the larger weight limit because we could carry him in it a long time into doctors, etc, and he didn't get sick that way :-)

If your LO is born early and comes home when he or she is still pretty tiny, he or she could need a special/different car seat, but you just don't know.  I would just register for what you think you want, and keep any thing you might need to be able to return it.

We didn't register for anything special because of having a preemie, but again, Andrew was 8 lb 5 oz when he came home.  We did deem the burp clothes we asked for completely worthless and instead saught out a giant pile of the thick gerber ones - reflux is common in preemies. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Check the post 7 down :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We got a Chicco keyfit 30 as it's good for 4lbs and up. Ds came home at 3lb 12oz in it with some added padding via receiving blankets.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imagest.augbride:
    We got a Chicco keyfit 30 as it's good for 4lbs and up. Ds came home at 3lb 12oz in it with some added padding via receiving blankets.

yep, this is the one we used too.  We had to go out and buy one the day DS was released from the hospital because he was less than 5lbs and the hospital wouldn't release him in the carseat we already had.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    we have a gracco snugride - we rolled up some blankets and put them on either side of him to keep him snug in it.  you don't need anything special except preemie sized clothes and diapers.  we have an angel care monitor that is priceless - i wouldn't have slept at all when we brought ds home if it wasn't for that thing.  we also have a wipe warmer, because we didn't want him getting too chilly during changes by putting cold, wet wipes on him - he LOVES the wipe warmer - $20 bucks well spent! we also bought a travel crib to put next to me by the bed.  It's so great having him right next to me like that.  Another good thing we have is a bassinett on wheels - it's really lightweight and small framed so it's very portable.  It is essentially a moses basket on wheels.  You can lift the basket out and carry it around the house or take it outside.  I really liked having that because i could drive the whole thing or just carry the basket into the bathroom with me so i could take a shower and get dressed - it was a lifesaver. 
  • Options
    I used a regualer carseat, but took out the head cushion and stuck in a JJ Cole car seat snuggler cushion. Its awesome! Iris fit so nicely into her carseat right from the first day we brought her home! It has a head cushion, and cusions for beside the baby, its a really good idea. :)
  • Options
    My son was born at 26 weeks spent 3 months in NICU...The hospital supplied me with a preemie carseat because the hospital wont release them if they dont weigh enough....he weighed 4lb 6 oz when we finally got to take him home!
  • Options
    oh wow, they actually gave you one to keep?  that's nice! 
  • Options
    i registered for the angel care monitor as soon as i found out i was pregnant!  and i am also receiving an arm's reach bassinet from a friend.  i know i'm going to be paranoid, so i hope these help me too!  lol
  • Options
    thank you ladies for the advice! 
  • Options

We also had the Graco SafeSeat - she had NO issues with her carseat test and she was just over 5lb when released.  We also got the snap n go carseat frame - what a great lightweight stroller when baby uses the carseat. 

Good luck!!

Photobucket Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have an eddie bauer carseat. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me right now, but it fit my little lady at 5 lb even with a couple receiving blankets stuffed in the sides.
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimage
  • Options

Ditto this. If your little one is more than four lbs no harm here this is a very good and sturdy car seat. My LO came home 4lbs 6oz. I had to sell the Graco I got b4 I knew I was having a preemie just to get the Chicco I have no regrets and he is still using it at 19.5 lbs

imageDraba123:

imagest.augbride:

yep, this is the one we used too.  We had to go out and buy one the day DS was released from the hospital because he was less than 5lbs and the hospital wouldn't release him in the carseat we already had.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"