Health & Exercise

Exercise restrictions during pregnancy?

I have heard I can just keep it up, but I have also heard that my heart rate shouldn't go over 140 which is a lot like not really being allowed to exercise much.

I kept my heart rate under 140 and couldn't even really jog.  That is just not going to work.  

** I will ask my RE tomorrow or when I am at the office on Monday.

But what have your doctors said? 

Re: Exercise restrictions during pregnancy?

• My doctor said that I should be able to exercise throughout pregnancy, just to be careful about over-exerting myself.  I am a runner and don't want to give that up.  I ran a half at 4 weeks (before I knew I was pregnant) and another one at 10 weeks and I seem to be fine.  

I've asked the ladies on this board before and they recommended keeping it to where I can still run and talk at the same time.  I don't think my heart rate really stays under 140, but I can go at a reasonable pace and not feel like I'm pushing it.  I've been running about 4-6 miles a day about 5 times a week.  Definitely ask your doctor just to be safe.  Good luck!

• My doc didn't say anything about heartrate and if you google, ACOG has eliminated any mention of heart rate while pregnant and exercising.  I'm almost 31 weeks and have not monitored my heart rate at all and baby seems perfectly fine by US(and our genetic testing).  I use rating of perceived exertion and usually go by the "if i could still talk to someone right now, then it's ok".  Like PP, I ran a PR half marathon at 7-8 wks and am still "running" ~twice a week now for 3 miles.  I do 45-50 min of cardio the other days and lift weights twice a week although my weights have gone down A LOT from what I was doing pre-preg.  I agree with you that it wouldn't be exercise if my HR stayed <140bpm.  HTH!  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • The heart rate thing is totally out of date. If my doctor said it, I'd be doctor shopping for someone that kept current. I hope your doctor didn't say that.

My doctor has been fine with what I've kept doing - weights, swimming, yoga, walking, elliptical, anything that feels good.

• imagetokenhoser:

The heart rate thing is totally out of date. If my doctor said it, I'd be doctor shopping for someone that kept current. I hope your doctor didn't say that.

My doctor has been fine with what I've kept doing - weights, swimming, yoga, walking, elliptical, anything that feels good.

No, my RE didn't say it. My boot camp instructor did say it, and not surprisingly her kids are both over 8. She wants me to have the heart rate monitor and keep it under 140 or whatever my doc recommends.  

• imageBostonGayGal:
    imagetokenhoser:

The heart rate thing is totally out of date. If my doctor said it, I'd be doctor shopping for someone that kept current. I hope your doctor didn't say that.

No, my RE didn't say it. My boot camp instructor did say it, and not surprisingly her kids are both over 8. She wants me to have the heart rate monitor and keep it under 140 or whatever my doc recommends.  

Then I'd gently tell her to butt out and do what you feel comfortable doing. When you're pregnant, people have this annoying way of assuming your body is public property.

You'll know when it's too much. Stay well hydrated, try not to exercise where it's really hot, and keep moving. It's so good for you!

• **Solicitation removed**
  • I ran daily with DD1 until I delivered at 40 weeks, and never monitored my heart rate. I ran a full marathon at 25 weeks and everything worked out well. With this baby, I am running daily as well and just avoid speed workouts or hill training, but do normal runs including a long run of 12-16 miles every weekend. Everything is going well with her too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagetokenhoser:

You'll know when it's too much. Stay well hydrated, try not to exercise where it's really hot, and keep moving. It's so good for you!

I totally agree with this.  I tend not to worry about my heart rate too much.  I mostly run outside, so I don't keep track of it - but when I'm at the gym it takes very little to get my heart rate to the 140s and my pace is usually closer to 160s.  BUT I can do it easily.  There are some days when 120 feels like pushing it, and I slow down and back off.  I pretty much do a lot of body listening.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageblu-eyedwife:
    imagetokenhoser:

I totally agree with this.  I tend not to worry about my heart rate too much.  I mostly run outside, so I don't keep track of it - but when I'm at the gym it takes very little to get my heart rate to the 140s and my pace is usually closer to 160s.  BUT I can do it easily.  There are some days when 120 feels like pushing it, and I slow down and back off.  I pretty much do a lot of body listening.

This.  I have no restrictions for aerobics.  Although, I weight lift and now have the added restriction of not being allowed to do exercises lying on my back.  So I modify and work on an incline bench or lie perpendicular with my shoulders supported and hips in the air.  I'm not convinced that blood flow is being constricted when on my back - "body listening" tells me I'm fine, but my doc feels strongly about this one so I'm humoring her.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"