TTC After a Loss 6 Months+

So Confused.....

I had another follie check today.  It looks like there might be 4 mature eggs.  I have 3 at 17 and 1 at 15.6 and then a couple smaller ones.  I am just not sure if I should continue with this IVF or look into switching to an IUI.  We are all OOP so this is costing us an arm and leg.  I am just so torn.  I know with my blood work results that we probably never will get a better response.
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers IVF #1 BFP Beta #1 528 & Beta #2 1514

Re: So Confused.....

• What was your E2 level at last check.  Hugs, I know how hard these choices. 
    Forever buddy to Angelica; Natural Miscarriage Jan. 2008 @ 11 weeks; 2 years of BFFN's; DX: Unexplained IF (RE thinks IF is due to tubal issues); IUI #1 & 2= BFFN; IUI#3 = BFP, resulted in Cornual ectopic pregnancy; IUI #4 - 6 =BFFN; Our next endeavor... IVF. 1 grade AA embryo transferred on 4-23-2011 and 5 frosties. BFP Abby born 1/5/2012

imageimageimage
  • What does the RE think? Is there MFI at all? 

I can't give you an answer, it's a difficult decision. You went through a lot to get to the point of doing IVF and then to have to switch, would be a lot to wrap your mind around. I would talk to the RE, is there another plan that could give you a better response? I there are two different protocols that are popular with IVF, my RE initially said that during the initial suppression, my ovaries may have been over suppressed.

While you've spent a lot of money already, my understanding is, the ER is the most expensive part. But after all, all it takes is one. You could have a rock star!

Many hugs, I'm so sorry you have to worry about this at this point. 

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry its not as many as you hoped.  I went through that twice and both times I did not get nearly what I expected (2 eggs for IVF #1 and 5 eggs for IVF #2).  It really did wipe us out financially too, so as much as it pains me to say this, converting to IUI and then trying again later if that doesn't work is a very good option.
    Then again...
    All four of them might be putting out stellar eggs and that is more than enough to make a beautiful baby. I am probably a lot older than you (I am 43 and did IVF last year) so my experience doesn't predict what will happen to you.  But there are also things you can do to improve your response for next time if you do decide to convert: DHEA treatments, acupuncture, chinese herbs, etc.  I did these between attempt #1 and attempt #2 and it did seem to improve.
    Sorry, not trying to confuse you.  I just feel for what you're going through and helping you weigh your options.  GL and I hope whichever way you go, it does the trick!  Keep us posted.
    4/08 BFP resulted in m/c
    8/08 BFP resulted in m/c
    3/09 Polyp removed and dx MTHFR (both copies)
    6 Clomid cycles, all BFN
    5/09 IUI#1 with Clomid=BFN
    6/09 IUI#2 with Clomid=BFN
    8/09 IUI#3 with Clomid=BFN
    IVF#1 = BFN
    IVF#2 = BFN
    IVF#3 ET 2 Grade A blasts 11/16/11
    Beta #1: 485
    Beta #2: 2,495
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
    imageimageimage
  • I am not sure what my E2 was today, but yesterday it was 430.

DH really wants to continue with the cycle, but I guess I have always been more of a realist and worried about all the money that is going out.  I know that no matter what there is no guarantee, but if there was more eggs I would feel better about it.

I did the long lupron this cycle so I guess if we did it again we could do the Antagonist or Estrogen priming.  During my consult with CNY they suggested Estrogen priming. 

• imageDoingItRight:

I am not sure what my E2 was today, but yesterday it was 430.

DH really wants to continue with the cycle, but I guess I have always been more of a realist and worried about all the money that is going out.  I know that no matter what there is no guarantee, but if there was more eggs I would feel better about it.

I did the long lupron this cycle so I guess if we did it again we could do the Antagonist or Estrogen priming.  During my consult with CNY they suggested Estrogen priming. 

Not that it matters at all at this point, but did your RE explain why he put you on a long lupron protocol with DOR/POF? That's usually basically the protocol they don't do with POF patients because it's too much suppression.

I really don't know what to suggest. If you cancel and go IUI, if it doesn't work you could always use the credit for a future antagonist or estrogen priming cycle. But then again, it hasn't been unheard of around these parts for people with only 4 or 5 eggs to wind up pregnant.

Which way is your doc leaning? 

• I did the long lupron and only ended up with 5 eggs and only 1 fertilized properly and it didn't take.  I am almost 38 and I think I have DOR and egg quality issues.  Also, some MFI.  So next time my RE plans to do the falir protocol.  For whatever reason, she does not like doing antagonist.  I don't know a lot about estrogen priming.

I guess I would be pretty tempted to convert to IUI, especially if there is no MFI.  And then try another protocol and see if you get a better response.  If they are rockstar eggs, maybe one or two will still fertilize with IUI and you won't have to worry about future cycles. 

Good luck hun, I know this is just so, so hard.  ((hugs))

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageColindaP:
    imageDoingItRight:

I am not sure what my E2 was today, but yesterday it was 430.

Not that it matters at all at this point, but did your RE explain why he put you on a long lupron protocol with DOR/POF? That's usually basically the protocol they don't do with POF patients because it's too much suppression.

I really don't know what to suggest. If you cancel and go IUI, if it doesn't work you could always use the credit for a future antagonist or estrogen priming cycle. But then again, it hasn't been unheard of around these parts for people with only 4 or 5 eggs to wind up pregnant.

Which way is your doc leaning? 

RE was torn between which protocol to use.  He wasn't interested in starting out with the Estrogen priming, but wasn't sure between the lupron and the antagonist.  He said that I did so well on my injectable IUI cycle that he wanted to try the lupron because they had better success rates than with the antagonist.  If this does not work, then I think that we will definitely be doing a different protocol next time. 

• I don't have any advice, as my journey with my RE is just beginning, and I just don't know enough about what's good for IVF. I do want to give you lots and lots of (((hugs))) however. Good luck.
    BFP #1: 5/3/10 Natural MC: 5/11/10 BFP #2: 3/24/11 C/p: 3/29/11 BFP #3: 5/17/11 C/P: 5/20/11 BFP #4: 11/13/11 Daisypath Anniversary tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic ~*~Congrats to my TTCAL buddies toshbosh233 & clairenmonique, EDDs 4/2011; bekahjen, EDD 5/2011; MCH77, EDD 7/2011; HokieMomma, EDD 8/2011; shanna82, EDD 9/2011; Rachel4127, EDD 10/2011~*~
  • I don't know much about IVF yet, so I don't have any advice. I hope you can make the best decision. ((hugs))

BFP 12/18/2009. HB 1/4/2010. NO HB 1/18/2010. D&C 1/19/2010
    April 2011 IUI #1 BFN. High FSH and other issues.
    May 2011 Chose to build our family through adoption
    September 2011 Actively waiting for a match
    11/26/11 Surprise BFP * DD born 7/23/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sorry.  I have no idea what the right answer is here.
    imageimage
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle!
    April 2011 CP @ 5 weeks
  • Sending hugs

Jenn

image 3 IUI's all BFN

IVF#1 BFN IVF#2 BFP, loss at 19 weeks FET#1 BFN IVF#3 BFP, m/c FET#2 BFN

Missing our twins Zachary and Madison, lost at 19 weeks on 11/13/09, edd 4/9/10

BFP 7/17/10, m/c 7/25/10, edd 3/25/11

Ectopic, lost left tube 4/20/11, edd 12/6/11

my blog

• If you're reasonably sure that you won't get a better response on future cycles, I'd still go ahead with the IVF. Those 4 might house your future child, you never know!

IF is such a mind f*ck. I'm sorry. :-(

12 long, hard years of TTC-
    Miscarriages, losses, lots of treatments & drugs & IVF

Natural BFP (WTF?!) - 06/04/11 ~ lots of complication and drama, but sweet baby Adele born 02/07/12!

BFP #million -another girl for us! EDD - 05-08-15 (but will come early)

• I don't have any advice, but (((HUGS)))
    Mom to Eliott Alexander, born sleeping at 37 weeks on 8/13/10. Most of us only dream of angels - I held one in my arms.
    BFP #2 - EDD 2/26/12 M/C 6/28/11 @ 5w2d
    BFP #3 - EDD 4/7/12 M/C 8/2/11 @ 4w2d
    Too beautiful for this earth
    BFP #4 - EDD 12/09/12, Lucille arrived 11/26/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"