Detroit Babies
Options

Waste of money?

DH and I are getting ready to go register for items for the LO. (It seems really early to me but due to uncontrollable circumstance, we are having our shower early.)

As first time parents, we are reading up on items that are "must haves" and strong suggestions for what to get. What items, IYO, are "don't bothers" or a waste of time/money?

imageimage

Re: Waste of money?

• Options

The infant swing was a waste for us.  DS didn't like it. 

Also, we didn't use the diaper genie until he started eating solids at 4.5 months.  His poop didn't stink until then and so we didn't want to waste the money on the filters until we really needed them.  We just had a regular garbage can with a liner in it for his diapers and emptied the basket every few days when it got full.

I didn't have too many things that didn't get used.  I had the opposite problem.  I didn't realize I would need things like gas drops, Aquaphor for his skin, vasoline for the circumsicion, certain toys, etc.

• Options

Have you read Baby Bargains 411?  That really helped me with registering.  It gives a breakdown on things that are a waste of $ vs. things you need, plus gives ratings on what is "best vs. worst" and everything in between.  I highly suggest getting a copy.

IMO waste of $ is a wipe warmer.  I also think Diaper Genie's and the like are complete wastes.  I just throw the diapers in the garbage.  Believe me, you accumulate enough in a day where you take the garbage out every single day anyways.  For us, the swing was a huge waste.  Gabriel hate the swing with a passion.  The bumbo was a waste too, his thighs were too fat to fit in the legs comfortably and he hated it.

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageballerina06:

Have you read Baby Bargains 411? 

I wasn't able to find it in the store a few months ago but plan on picking it up today.

imageimage
  • Options

Agree with the diaper genie.  We got one with Noah and have never used it.  The dollar store sells these little plastic diaper bags.  We tied up poopy diapers and toss them directly into the garage trash can.  The wet ones we throw in our normal trash and we just take that out daily.

For us, the Boppy was a complete waste.  I preferred using regular pillows to prop myself/baby up. 

wipe warmer/bottle warmer.  

Bathrobes.  All we use are hooded towels.  Seemed silly to try and put DS into a bathrobe when he was going to be changed right away.

We used the swing, bouncer and bumbo.  The bumbo we didn't get too much use out of just because they outgrow it fast.  There's another brand that works a little better (forget the name).  It's a 3-in-1, so there's a little more room for growth.   There's a round thing that can also go on that has some toys, so it's a little more practical for the same price 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The bumbo was definitely a waste for us too.  Also, don't buy more than a couple newborn outfits.  You will probably get a ton at your shower and P was only in newborn sizes for 2 weeks... same with newborn diapers. 

One thing I'm now wishing I had is a lightweight stroller.  We have a travel system and the stroller is great but sometimes it'd be nice to have a smaller one that would take up less room in the car for travelling.  I've been eyeing a Chicco one... we'll see.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

For us the swing was a life saver. He napped in it until he was almost 6 months old.  Also, we got breathable bumpers so he would stop getting his arms/legs stuck.  We also could not have enough of the burp clothes (cloth diapers).  Brendan spit up alot.  We got the Diaper Champ and we use regular garbage bags.  Has worked well, but once he started eating solids we'd throw the poopy diapers in the trash instead of the Diaper Champ.  I felt like the exersaucer was great once he was old enough for it, and he even enjoyed the jumperoo (we had the kind that hangs in the door).

For us the bouncy seat/vibrating thing wasn't that useful. I mean he sat in it, but he didn't enjoy it as much as the other stuff we had.  The activity mat was also hit or miss, but I would still recommend for you to register for it. 

Finally, as for a stroller/car seat.  I'd go to Buy Buy Baby and "test drive" strollers and find one that you think will be comfortable for you and DH.  Some are better for taller people, some are better for shorter.  Most recently all my friends are registering for the Baby Jogger City Mini.  I got the Chicco system and we liked it, but I bought a Baby Jogger City Elite less than a year later and I REALLY enjoy that on walks, much smoother than the Chicco, but it's more difficult to manuever through stores than the Chicco is. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options

I also recommend Baby Bargains...I think a new one recently came out from what I purchased in the fall.  It helped me kind of rationalize which features we really need vs. not necessary.  I gave mine to my friend to borrow otherwise I would let you use it. 

I don't have any real life experience yet, but there are some things that can be considered a waste of money if your baby doesn't like it like other babies do (i.e. swing, bouncers, etc.) .  I registered for all those activity type things just to be prepared.  Luckily, they were all bought for us so we didn't have to spend our own money post showers.  We are planning on having more than one baby, so I would rather have "everything" and not have to worry about it with #2 in case it is a bomb with #1. 

I do think wipes warmers are a waste...what are you going to do when you are out and about and the wipe isn't warm?  :) 

• Options

Ditto on the wiper warmer as well as the bottle warmer.  Some LOs like their milk cold while for others, room temp will do.  Also, all that car stuff like car caddys to hold milk, etc was a waste.  Maybe if you go on long trips it might come in handy, but I have yet to use any of it.  Also, newborn size clothes.  Unless you have a tiny baby, these sizes quickly become too small.  My DS was 8.5 and had no time for the NB sizes.

I wish we had gotten a traditional bassinet.  We got the pack and play which is awesome, but the bassinet that is on it is not plush at all and DS did not like it.

• Options
    Agreed with most of the above. Wipe warmers, diaper genie, robes, bouncy seat are all a waste. Chloe loved her swing and still does. She is still tiny enough to nap in there. I could not have lived without her boppy pillow. It was great for breastfeeding as well. We had plenty of burp clothes bc she spit alot as well (due to AR). A light weight stroller is a great thing to have as well, that way you dont have to lug around the huge, heavy one.
  • Options

I agree with the other ladies - the wipes warmer was a complete waste. We used it for about a week, and then stopped. We didn't get much use out of the Bumbo seat either.

It seems like many LOs hate the swing, but DD enjoyed it, and I loved the Boppy pillow for feedings, tummy time, etc. We've also used the Diaper Genie since Day 1, and it's been helpful for us. It may depend on the set-up of your home, or just what's easier for you.

We were Team Green, so we didn't register for or receive many clothes beforehand. When we brought DD home, DH ran out to the store and bought a handful of NB sleepers/clothes, and it was no problem. She wore them for only a few weeks anyway, so I didn't feel as though I needed a large supply of NB items.

Like a pp said, I registered for a variety of items, knowing that we hope to have more children. If DD didn't like something, the next LO might!  :)

• Options

Don't get a bottle warmer.  If you constantly warm up bottles and then are out and about and don't have a warm bottle, the baby may be fussy.  We just use tap water, pretty much any temp but freezing or hot, and both kids took/take it either way!

Toys at first aren't a must since they won't even be able to hold/enjoy them for months.

I thought shoes were a waste until Dylan actually started trying to walk.

A mommy-bear (on that sounds like a mothers heartbeat) is a waste.  Unless you have a super fussy baby that you can't rock to sleep, don't get one.  They are expensive too. 

You can save and not get a diaper genie and just have one bag all day for pee diapers, and throw that away at the end of the day, and throw away poopy diapers right away. 

• Options
    imageMrsRenee:

For us, the Boppy was a complete waste.  I preferred using regular pillows to prop myself/baby up. 

wipe warmer/bottle warmer.  

Bathrobes.  All we use are hooded towels.  Seemed silly to try and put DS into a bathrobe when he was going to be changed right away.

All of the above.  We got so many bathrobes and returned them all.  We used hooded towels, or our own big ones, and then dressed him/her immediately.  It's not like they sit in their robe and lounge around after :)

• Options

Boppy was a waste. So was the nursing cover, because my son would not nurse under a cover.

He also hated the swing.

A must have for us was a carrier. I have an Ergo and a Moby. Used them every single day.The Aden and Anais swaddles were great. I still use them. So many uses: burp cloths, swaddles, sun cover, changing table covers...

For a summer baby, socks/shoes are a waste except for pictures. They can't keep them on their feet anyway.

Also, we got the larger infant carrier, the one that goes up to 35 pounds. Well, they outgrow it at 30 inches (and look squashed in there long before that) so that was a waste. We should have gotten the smaller, lighter one.

Come chat with other moms: www.metrodetroitmommy.com!
  • Options

Waste:

Bumbo, hooded bathrobes, snowsuits, wipe warmer, infant shoes, diaper bag (I carry a larger purse and just use that with an organizer), super fancy video baby monitor (audio would have been just fine-we rarely use the video part), velcro swaddling sacks (Sofi HATED them)

Very useful:

Swing (get one that plugs in rather than battery power), bottle warmer (our daycare warms bottles so we needed one after Sofi started), lightweight stroller frame for your car seat (we have the Chicco but there are many times I don't want the full stroller and hate carrying the heavy seat), white onesies in various sizes (we use these under her clothes a lot when things are too big because they take up room and help keep pants on), Mommy Hook, Rock and Play (loved that), Pack and Play, diaper genie (we have one on each floor of our house), closet organizer tabs that have sizes, soothing sounds projector (we use this instead of a crib mobile), bibs-especially when they match outfits, socks that stay on their feet (Gymboree has been the best for us), Target brand diaper rash cream (we use it with every change actually and she has never had a rash), digital thermometer, battery operated nasal aspriator, cheap baby nail clippers

• Options
    I personally love the bottle warmer - I have one that plugs into the car too for on the go.  I can make a few bottles ahead of time and put them in the fridge, then just warm them up.  The Avent bottle warmer is great!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I didnt really read through the other responses but i'll give you our lists (sorry if they are repeats :)

Useful: 

Boppy pillow

bottle drying rack

pacifier clips

Target baby socks

the gowns that have an opening at the feet.

a good baby tub Lucas used his until a year or so because I liked that he could sit in it and not slide all around the tub (we have doors on our tub so giving him a bath just in the tub is annoying because you have to keep reaching for him or moving the doors)

Burp cloths (just the white cloth diapers)

A good thermometer.  We have one that goes in the ear which is supposed ot be really good and accurate, but I should have gotten the one that you just touch to the temple.

Aveeno bath products and lotion.

Waste:

baby robes

most baby socks besides the target ones

we had a ton of bibs, but Lucas wasnt a spiter-upper so they never got used

buying anything in newborn size or 0-3 or really 3-6 (we had a ton of clothes as gifts, we were lucky to not have to buy clothes until 6-9mo size).  I did buy a few things I thought were cute but didnt stock up.

the Gerber onesies/footed pjs run small Lucas was in size 24 months at a year but the lbs/length is accurate on it so just go by that and not the month size.

Johnson and Johnson bath stuff made Lucas' dry skin worse.

Mommy's little helper :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

An updated Baby Bargains book just came out in April.

OK my biggest thing is I don't understand why people register for these expensive baby bed sets.  Bumpers are bad (which is why they are talking abut banning them in the U.S.) and you can't use the blanket since nothing can go into the crib until they are older and by that time you'll probably want something more toddler like.  Why not just buy the sheets and that's it?

Other things that were a waste for us were the sanitizer and bottle warmer.  Also I wouldn't register for clothes, people are going to give you what they like no matter what and for the first 6 months there are way too many clothes that they grow out of quickly plus if you get any hand me downs from family and friends.

I personally love the Diaper Genie (we have 3 dogs and no issues with them getting into it).  I also love our 4 Moms bathtub (may be my fave product).  Another big thing is our Dr Brown's bottles, noticed a big difference with spit-ups when we exclusively use them.  Also get a stroller that you like.  Remember, this is the stroller that you will be pushing around for a long time.

Also, if you're BF a good nursing bra is a must!

• Options

I used the Rock n Play sleeper, boppy, burp cloths, itzbeen timer, and bottle warmer most in the beginning.  I EP'd so the bottles came out of the fridge and DS doesn't like cold milk.  So we have a car adaptor too. 

Register for as much as you can, because you may not use it this time around, but you may with any future children.  My DS hated his bouncer seat, and liked the swing for a month.  There is a 3 in 1 activity center that DS loves, he used the activity mat, now moved on to the exersaucer. 

You can never have enough burp cloths, bibs and bottles.  I started giving away my bibs because I had so many, and then the teething started, and he drools so much.  He can wet 5+ bibs each day. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"