Houston Babies

how do you make a kid go to bed?

G has been fighting bed for an hour now. He's gone to bed for the past few nights at 8 and hasn't had a night terror. Tonight DH is gone and he refuses to go to bed. I know this is going to result in us being up at some point tonight dealing with a night terror. I could cry. I have no idea how to make him go to bed. He's in a toddler bed so he can get out and his door is out of alignment so I can't lock him in.

I'm going to cry. He's rolling around the living room floor crying and screaming "FINE" every time I ask him to go to bed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: how do you make a kid go to bed?

• Oh no.  I'm so sorry you're going through this.  Can you barter with him?  Offer him his favorite candy/toy/special treat if he goes to bed? 
    image Oh Joy to the World!!
  • We reversed the door knob and lock him in his room.  When is screams we do the Super Nanny and put him strait back in bed (after he bangs on the door for a bit)...  Yep, parents of the year here...  but 90% of the time he stays in bed because he knows we won't let him out.
  • Loading the player...
  • is there any way you can put a gate in the door frame. The way Tracey's room is we can put a gate right outside the door, and did this last night because she can now take the childproof thing off the knob by squeezing it. 

We had two hours of crying and making excuses to come downstairs, with us taking turns in there until she finally got in bed and went to sleep.  

• He's still in a crib.  We are keeping it up until he tries to get out and makes it dangerous (but he hasn't yet!).  We just do bath, books, and put him to bed and walk out.  He cries for a few minutes, but usually falls to sleep w/in 5 minutes.  I fear the day we have to convert to a toddler bed b/c I know he will just get out of bed, and it will be a nightmare.

I would go with locking the door, or putting something in front of it so he can't get out.  Eventually, he will get the picture that he can't get out and (hopefully) go back to bed.

• After almost two hours I relented and let him sleep with me. Which just makes it worse, but better than the alternative I was considering last night. I'm pretty sure the authorities would frown upon me leaving him home alone with the dogs.

I'll try the baby gate. He used to sleep with his door closed, but now prefers to have the door open. Until the last week or so it hasn't been an issue, he usually does his bath routine, we go in and I tuck him in and that's the end of it. 

After the baby gate comes plywood and 2x4's. And shots of tequila for me. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh poor momma  :(  

We kept Mason in a crib so long that when we finally converted it to the toddler bed 2 weeks ago, he won't get out of bed unless I go into his room and get him.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • imageKimmer123:

After almost two hours I relented and let him sleep with me. Which just makes it worse, but better than the alternative I was considering last night. I'm pretty sure the authorities would frown upon me leaving him home alone with the dogs.

I'll try the baby gate. He used to sleep with his door closed, but now prefers to have the door open. Until the last week or so it hasn't been an issue, he usually does his bath routine, we go in and I tuck him in and that's the end of it. 

After the baby gate comes plywood and 2x4's. And shots of tequila for me. 

The authorities would probably frown upon that too, given your current "condition" & all.

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • struggling with that one with Micah too.  About to go the baby gate route, but I'm afraid she'll try to scale it and we'll end up in the ER (again). 

Otherwise I just keep putting her back in bed.  And crying a bit.

I'm so sorry.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"