Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Ugh, 15 months old and still not walking!

I know she's not a super late walking, but people keep asking me if she's started yet. No! She's been standing more on her own (w/o holding anything) and going from a crouching (sp?) position to standing, so she is progressing. I just wanted her to be walking by Halloween! :-(

Re: Ugh, 15 months old and still not walking!

• Options
    My DD wasn't even standing unassisted at 15 months, and just started exclusively walking in the last few weeks (she's 18 months). We actually had her evaluated by a physical therapist at 15 months per her pedi's recommendation (due to the not standing) and she was fine - they said anywhere up to 18 months is completely normal for walking. So hang in there - she will get it eventually! I know how frustrating it is though, when everyone keeps asking about it and you see kids several months younger walking.
  • Options
    15 months is the average that most kids walk. She'll walk soon enough and then all you'll do is chase her around!
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ds is 14 months today and not walking independently.  he cruises like a pro but no walking.  we will have to use a stroller/carry him for Halloween.  your dd is still in the normal range.  as long as she is showing progression like you mentioned i would not worry about it.
  • Options
    The minute I butesd out one of those push along walking toys, Brady was walking on his own in about 2 weeks.  Have you tried one of those?
  • Options
    I understand your frustration. DD is still not independently walking yet. She will push things along all day long and she will even walk from couch to couch or to the table but it is still not her primary mode of transportation. Her pedi is not concerned about it. Hang in there!
  • Options
    Our DD is not walking yet either, so you're not alone! It seems like all these younger babies, like every one I know of, are already walking so DD should be, too. But, our pedi said there's no cause for concern until they go past 18 months, and someone actually told me that the average is 15-16 months. Just think of how much they can get into when they're walking, and be thankful you can wait a bit longer!
  • Options

Don't worry, she'll get there! By the way, my DD has the same shirt as yours - too cute.

• Options
    Our DD is 18 months today and not standing independently or walking either, talk about frustrating! We're in the process of having her evaluated, she didn't qualify for First Steps EI so now it's private PT. DH has actually started lying to people at work when they ask if she's walking yet bc he's tired of explaining and hearing everyone's "advice" Smile 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I know how you feel. DS is nearly 14 months and still not walking independently and I want him to so bad.  He didn't start crawling well though until he was 11 months old and now he's a pro.  He's cruising well and he'll do it when he's ready.  Try not to worry!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Anything up til 18 mos. is within the normal range. My nephew didn't start until he was 17 1/2 mos. Don't stress about it. I know it's hard that people keep asking, but no baby is going to be early at everything. Some are early walkers but late talkers. Some can talk early but aren't very physically active. And others have different things they are developmentally ahead/behind on.
  • Options

Kate will be 18 months on Weds and just started walking TODAY.  At 15 months no one was concerned.  Not me, not her doctor, not her physical therapist, not EI (she qualifed for other reasons), not her neurologist.  Everyone told me up to 18 months was normal. 

I know it is frustrating to deal with people's comments and "advice" but I am sure your DC will walk soon enough.  Hang in there...it really is sweet when the late ones do it!  I totally cried when Kate started. :)

• Options

Nothing wrong there...Ellie was into her 16th month before she started walking.  She'll walk when she is ready.

FWIW, I posted the exact same thing when Ellie turned 15 months old and everyone reassured me that she was fine and would walk when she was ready.  I didn't believe them and, still, she walked a few weeks later.  Now she runs like a maniac and my big, pregnant body can't keep up!

Enjoy your crawling toddler and scoop her up whenever you can....she will run away soon enough!     

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"