Toddlers: 24 Months+

What kind of whole milk?

There are so many options out there.  I'd love to give DS something that is free of the hormones and whatever else...by following an "organic" designation, is that enough?  Or are some milks superior to others?

What

Re: What kind of whole milk?

• I buy organic milk for DS, but I'm not picky about what kind. I think the FDA has certain standards that have to be met for a product to carry that label. I just buy whichever brand is on special.
  • In order for an animal derived product to be labeled organic, it has to be produced without growth hormones or antibiotics, and the animals have to be fed organically grown feed (no chemical fertilizers or pesticides).

We get store brand whole milk for DD, because the store that we buy from only gets their milk from farmers who don't use growth hormones and antibiotics. The only reason it can't be called "organic" is because the cows aren't fed organic feed. It's cheaper and (virtually) exactly the same as organic whole milk, only it doesn't carry the "organic" label.

If you don't want to spend the extra money just so that your milk says "organic" on the label, ask the dairy manager whether the farmers who supply their store brands use growth hormones and antibiotics. I believe that most dairy farmers are starting to move away from those types of products, anyway, but you won't know for sure until you ask...

• Loading the player...
  • I always buy organic or at least the kind that says that none of hte hormones are added when I can't get organic.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • I always buy DS organic milk.  I typically get the Horizon brand, but I will buy whatever is on sale.
  • Organic is a legal designation with certain guidelines to be met.  So you know those basic guidelines are met at least.  We actually use a dairy service here that is not designated organic because it doesn't give the cows organic feed.  I was more concerned about the growth hormones and antibiotic use in the cows anyway.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• We just use regular whole milk.  My oldest DD got 2% but my oldest DS got whole milk (not organic) and is 6'4".  I wouldn't mind my youngest DS being 6'4".
  • I give my son Horizon 2% w/DHA. He drank Horizon whole milk from age one to two. I recently heard (but haven't done the research yet) that there is some question about how organic Horizon really is.
  • We use Organic but not Horizon if we can help it- like pp said, there are questions about their treatment of their cows and organic practices. Or a local dairy that uses organic practices but isnt certified...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image image
  • I use Nature's Promise Organic....it's the store brand organic distributed by Stop & Shop (East Coast only????).  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"