D.C. Area Babies
Options

Intro and Birthcare and Bradley recommendations

Hello everyone! I decided it was high time I join you ladies. I normally hang out on MM. I just have two quick questions.

1. Does anyone have any recommendations for Bradley instructors? I know I am not that far along but I started casually looking today and it looks like a lot of the classes for my due date range are starting to fill up already! (Damn this area and the amount of over planners). Obviously websites can only tell me so much so I was wondering if anyone had any recs or warnings?

2.I am planning to have the baby at Birthcare. Does anyone have any recommendations for birth assistants? Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Intro and Birthcare and Bradley recommendations

• Options

I didn't do Bradley or Birthcare so I don't have any recs, but welcome to the board and congrats on your pregnancy!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Sorry I didn't do either of those either.

I just wanted to say Welcome as well! I know we have a hypnobirthing instructor that frequents the board.

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

thanks, Mrs.Handy!

hi, and welcome!! i'm a mom to two (the first a bradley homebirth with birthcare transfer for cesarean; the second a hypnobirthing homebirth wtih a certified professional midwife) and a hypnobirthing practitioner (classes taught in old town alexandria).

there are two bradley instructors i am familiar with in the area. one is in centerville (www.namastedoulas.com, next class begins tomorrow!), the other is in the fairfax area of alexandria (breastmilkrocks AT hotmail DOT com). both are wonderful childbirth educators.

i know you asked specifically about Bradley (and the BC midwives really like bradley), but if you are interested in learning more about hypnobirthing, i'm happy to answer any questions (here or off the board at Lindsey AT sunflowershealingandwellness DOT com). i'm trained in both methods and prefer HB to bradley by far (many reasons, including life skills learned in hypnobirthing and far more extensive relaxation techniques).

BirthCare has an awesome staff of MWs, one of whom (a co-owner) was profiled in a traveling exhibit on midwifery in america.  the other co-owner helped my brother into the world some 25 years ago! there are two new MWs to the practice whom i am not as familiar with, but haven't heard anything bad about. there is one MW that i had a bad experience with (and many others I know), but i do have a few friends who had great experiences with her, so to each her own!

they have gotten quite busy in the past few years, so you need to get on their schedule right away to ensure care during your birthing time.

some things to know about BirthCare:

- they accept insurance

- they expect you to take initiative and responsibility for your personal wellness and your pregnancy, so do your research and come prepared with questions

- they work with a physician for high-risk transfers (usually Dr. Paula McKenzie, who delivers at Alexandria INOVA, but i've heard recently with Dr. Tchabo, who delivers at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington).

- if you go beyond 42 weeks or if your baby is breech, you will be transferred to a physician.

- the MWs are all CNMs, so, nurses by training. my experience there with my first child was worlds different from my experience the second time with a CPM (philosophy, approach, CPM was much more hands-off with things like internals, routine testing, etc)

- appointments are usually 45-60min, especially your first. wait times vary and can be as short as 5 minutes to as long as 45.

- you cannot request a certain MW to attend your birth (unless you beg and have a compelling reason. i'm aware of this happening in the past!), so it's best to have a comfortable relationship with all the MWs

happy to answer any specific questions about birthcare, bradley or hypnobirthing!

and, congrats on your pregnancy!

• Options

There's also a certified Bradley instructor on the board (AJM plus some numbers).  She offers classes in Old Town, I think.  She's a FB friend, I can send you the info tonight if she doesn't come in the post.

Oh, and I missed the MM announcement...  CONGRATS!

• Options
    imagech ch ch chia:

There's also a certified Bradley instructor on the board (AJM plus some numbers).  She offers classes in Old Town, I think.  She's a FB friend, I can send you the info tonight if she doesn't come in the post.

doh! forgot AJM796 also teaches bradley. and yes, she teaches in Old Town, too. 

• Options

Hey Lindsey

I sent you an e-mail. 

• Options
    Namaste Doula (a former/sometimes Nestie), taught my Bradley class. She is a friend of mine, so that made it even more fun! DH and I loved the classes.
  • Options
    imageLindseyJW:
    imagech ch ch chia:

doh! forgot AJM796 also teaches bradley. and yes, she teaches in Old Town, too. 

Thanks, guys :-) Yes, I teach Bradley Monday nights in Old Town!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"