Maryland Babies

Paternity leave?

Do  you think your DH would take it if he could?  I have a male co-worker who had a baby 10 weeks ago and next week when his wife goes back to work, he is going to take off 6 weeks of FMLA to stay home with the baby.  I think it's great that he's doing it, he says he is really looking forward to it and getting to know his daughter the way his wife does.  I haven't brought it up to DH yet, but I think he would def. take the time if he could, but I also know that he would be really anxious about how taking all that time off would look to his managers and what it would do to his career.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Paternity leave?

• I don't think DH would take the time off.  He loves his kids but he's the type of person that must get out of the house and enjoys his adult interaction.  He took off the first two weeks after each child was born and he was itching to get back to work.
  • When DH worked for Verizon he had that option to take Paternity leave. Not sure how long he could take off, probably not 6 weeks. I know for DH he took off the week I was in the hospital, but went back to work before DD came home from the NICU. Then took another week off after she came home. Then well you know the rest of the story, he got laid off and spent 5 months home with her. He loved that opportunity he had to bond with her.

• Loading the player...
  • Absolutely!!  If there was a paid option, DH would totally do it.  Because a lot of leave is not paid it's not really an option for us because he's the breadwinner in our family.

DH and I have started talking about the possibility of him taking off some time when I return to work (though not 6 weeks like your c/w, more like a week) to make my transition back to work easier.

bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • imagecamdenfaithful:

Absolutely!!  If there was a paid option, DH would totally do it.  Because a lot of leave is not paid it's not really an option for us because he's the breadwinner in our family.

DH and I have started talking about the possibility of him taking off some time when I return to work (though not 6 weeks like your c/w, more like a week) to make my transition back to work easier.

I'm a Fed so none of it is paid (wasn't for me either), but you do have the option to take paid leave.  B/C I carry our insurance, and we still needed a little $ coming in for my 12 weeks off, I did a combo of taking half a pay period of paid leave and half FMLA, so I still had $ to cover insurance and had a little coming in every week.  Plus I've been told that taking all FMLA can mess with your Thrift Savings Plan (fed's 401k) and insurance in other ways.

• ras26ras26 member
    imageCooper81:
    imagecamdenfaithful:

Absolutely!!  If there was a paid option, DH would totally do it.  Because a lot of leave is not paid it's not really an option for us because he's the breadwinner in our family.

I'm a Fed so none of it is paid (wasn't for me either), but you do have the option to take paid leave.  B/C I carry our insurance, and we still needed a little $ coming in for my 12 weeks off, I did a combo of taking half a pay period of paid leave and half FMLA, so I still had $ to cover insurance and had a little coming in every week.  Plus I've been told that taking all FMLA can mess with your Thrift Savings Plan (fed's 401k) and insurance in other ways.

We're both Feds, so DH can take the same 6 weeks of sick leave that I can, so it's paid for both of us.  Then we move into vacation time.  Neither of us intends to use LWOP.  He may be moving into a management role and therefore may end up working from home some, or part time, but otherwise, I kind of thought he was going to stay home with me!  If I'm totally wrong with how the gov't works, tell me now!!

IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My H took a 3 week paternity leave.  Unfortunately, it could not be after I went back to work...he had to take it right after DS was born.  He was off the week we were in the hospital and the 2 weeks we were home, which was ideal because I had a c/s and couldn't drive or do much around the house.  I hope he will be able to do the same with future babies!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • I think if it were paid, DH would take it. But probably not the full amount of time offered, maybe only a week or two. He has a strong work ethic and couldn't be away from the jobsite for that long of a period without knowing whats going on.

I have a friend whose husband is now using his 12 weeks of FMLA to be a SAHD with their son when she went back to work.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH took a week of leave after DD was born and then worked from home PT/@ the office PT for another week or so - and then we had the holidays and he got sick so he was around/flexible for another week or two.  It was fine.

If it were paid paternity leave, he might take a week or two more, but I don't think he would have been comfortable staying home FT w/ DD when she was a newborn.

My friend's husband did what OP is talking about (and he's a fed) after her ML ended and she went back to work, he took off ~ 6 weeks w/ their LO.  They were desperately anti-daycare though and trying to delay that.  My friend ended up quitting anyway and stayed home for a year.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • If my DH were at a different company AND it were paid, absolutely. He's likely take all 12 weeks, or as much of it paid as he could. DH only gets 10 vacation days per year. He was not allowed to use sick leave for DD's birth, so he took FMLa for 2 weeks - 1paid and 1 w/out pay.

Where I work, you can take all 12 weeks, but it is not paid UNLESS you have saved up enough sick/vacation days to get it paid, which I did.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My FI most likely wouldn't take 6 weeks. He is going to be taking 1-2 weeks paternity leave after the baby is born.  If he could take the time without it potentially affecting his job, he would.

• My DH doesn't get "paternity leave" but he has tons of vacation time saved up so he will be taking 4 weeks off when the baby is born. So we'll both be home that first month. I am really thankful for this because then we can jump into the whole parenting thing together and I'm not on my own from the start. I will stay home another 4-6 weeks after he goes back to work.

If he had paid paternity leave, I'm sure he'd take it all.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • imageSarahKate31:

My DH doesn't get "paternity leave" but he has tons of vacation time saved up so he will be taking 4 weeks off when the baby is born. So we'll both be home that first month. I am really thankful for this because then we can jump into the whole parenting thing together and I'm not on my own from the start. I will stay home another 4-6 weeks after he goes back to work.

If he had paid paternity leave, I'm sure he'd take it all.

I just used "paternity leave" in place of FMLA, but this is covered under FMLA if your DH's company is eligible.  He wouldn't be eligible for the disability pay that some private companies have for employee's but could take the time off covered by FMLA.

• I think DH would have taken more than the week he got--maybe a month.  I know it's only 2 extra weeks, but he wouldn't go 6.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Since I SAH and I was effectively unemployed a month before DD was born, DH could never take off more than a week of unpaid leave.  Both of our kids were born on Mondays and his company gives him the day of the birth off (which is ridiculous considering that I was in labor w/ DD for a full 23 hours) and then he takes the rest of the week off.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • DH had 8 weeks paid so he absolutely took off. It was one of the best times I have ever had with him. DS was born in the spring and it happened to be a pretty mild spring so so traveled a lot. The 3 of us went to the beach for a week then we went to Deep Creek for a week. It was nice to hang out just the three od us and get into this new routine together. Although DH could have taken an additional 4 weeks unpaid we decided it was best for him to go back to work. It gave me a few weeks to hang out with DS and get used to getting things done on my own before I had to go back to work. DH is still with the same company so as long as it is still offered, he will do this in the future with more children.
  • My husband would definitely take a couple of weeks off if he could, but he's a Federal contractor, and he just doesn't accumulate leave very quickly... We've had a pretty busy year or two, so we've used up a lot.  Hopefully, he'll be able to spend a week at home with us by the time the baby is here.

I'm Federal, but I've unfortunately used my leave a bit liberally in the past, so I've only built up enough sick and annual to take off about 9/10 weeks total. It would be nice to have the full 12 weeks! Since we'll have a new baby and bigger mortgage by then, we just can't afford to do LWOP (leave without pay).

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes, my DH is taking some time off, splitting it up so that it's not so difficult with his job. Luckily, he has a difficult career, but one thing his work is big about is family during life events- so he is able to take some FMLA time. He is completely looking forward to it.
    Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Since DD was born during the middle of tax season, DH was only able to take 3 days off which was fine because with one, aside from the sleepless nights, she napped a lot during the day and I felt like I had a good handle on things without him there.  (Don't get me wrong, it was rough but somehow I managed...)

With #2 coming in September, I definitely need DH to take the 1 week he gets paid for paternity leave and hopefully another week of vacation, especially with 2 under 2 and to help me keep my sanity!  I'm sure DH will be happy to be home, since this time around it comes without the stress and deadlines from tax season.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH was covered under FMLA so he took a month off after C was born. With B, he was born at the beginning of the fall semester so DH came to the hospital with me, we had B, the next day he went into work for a while and then came back. He was then off for a week and then went back to work just in time for a title change and a raise :) He then went in half days for a week and then was back full time 2 weeks after B was born. I'll be honest and say it was so much easier for him not to be at home. I needed his help right after C was born to help lift B but it was nice to get settled into normal routine with both kids.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"