Alabama Babies

Everybody be safe today...

I hope everybody stays safe with the weather today. Looks like some really bad weather is hitting both North Alabama and Central Alabama.

Had a bad storm early this morning that knocked some power lines and trees down around Tuscaloosa. Now it looks like possibility of some super cell tornadoes this afternoon. Schools have already been called off in this area.

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20110427/NEWS/110429738/1007?Title=UPDATE-More-severe-weather-expected-this-afternoon

What's it like in your area?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

Re: Everybody be safe today...

• Our power has been off since 5am.  Bad storms came through from 5:15-6:15am.  Horrible wind, rain, thunder/lightning.  We were under a tornado warning, but our sirens never went off (friends said there's did in Hoover and B'ham though).  Lots of trees down across Eastern Valley Rd (McCalla/Bessemer area) and lots of people's trashcans/patio furniture/playhouses thrown into other yards/driveways/streets. 

According to the Alabama Wx blog there were 100mph winds recorded 1000ft off the ground at Tannehill State Park which is just a couple miles from our house.  When we finally woke up scared of the winds and checked our phones for info (no power for tv or internet) the tornado vortex signature was directly over our subdivision. 

Scary stuff and I know it's only supposed to get worse.  JP Dice from Fox6 was saying EF-3 and higher tornadoes that will be long-track and on the ground for awhile, not just these little touch down and then pop back up type that we've been having.  Someone at work said one of the blogs was saying it was going to be the worst day they've seen here in 30 years.  Yikes.  When can I move back to Ohio??  ;)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm actually considering getting DH to bring K to my work this afternoon since we have a basement and it's a lot safer place than our house.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• Loading the player...
  • Not a bad idea... if you can get away with it, I would.  My MIL usually holes up at the local hospital since it's huge and brick, and obviously a good place to be during an emergency. 

I hate that DH is out working on days like today.  He drives around in a van all day working so I can never keep track of him and need to know where he's at so I can warn him about potential weather issues.  I wish he had a desk job!  Much easier to pin him down. 

I'm up at UAB and fear I'll get stuck here for awhile depending on when the storms hit since I've got to drive southwest back home. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm also at UAB and have to head south to go home.  Our daycare closes at 1pm today.  DH is picking DD up.  I just hope I can get home sometime this afternoon.
    image imageimagePhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I woke up confused after seeing updates on FB. I woke up with Owen twice, and at one point, heard hail, but no sirens. It's pretty unlikely I would have slept through it given I am such a light sleeper, but I don't know. All we have is branches in the parking lot, and we never lost power. Sounds like bigger trees and power was out close by though.

DH is at UAB and is leaving as soon as he can,  I hope he gets home ahead of this mess. I am so over it happening weekly. This crap really has me ready to move. (we will be after DH graduates, likely next year.) You can bet I won't be getting in an upper floor condo again. :-/

This stuff is so much worse with Owen here now. :( 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Tornado sirens have went off 4 times here since 6am, right when Wes was leaving for work.  We are currently in a break of it, but it's supposed to get rough again around 3, and he gets off at 3:30.  We have spent part of our morning in the hall bathroom...real fun with an 18 month old who doesn't get what is going on.  Apparently Hwy 72 is closed due to downed power lines, but I have no clue which part of 72, or if it's all of it from Athens to H'ville.  Not good since Wes has to cross over 72 to get home. 

I'm so ready for this weather to be through...this every week bad weather thing is getting old, fast.  

• The sirens have been going off a good bit today. Our neighborhood has some very large trees uprooted. Luckily, my husband is working from home today. We have had several times where it got really bad here. I live in the Huntsville area. We have something possibly headed this way again. Also, they are saying this will continue for awhile still.

I hope everyone is staying safe!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just got a text from my brother in tuscaloosa-"it (the tornado) tore dch realy bad and the mall. they are moving patients to other hospitals."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Does anyone have any news from the UAB or Vestavia Hills area? I was supposed to head down there this morning with Atticus. Anyone know if the power is on? I can't reach my husband this morning since his phone died while we were talking last night. I hope you and all your loved ones are safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"