Working Moms
Options

Need Advice on Asking For Flex Hours

I go back to work on 11/17 after 19 weeks of maternity leave (more than most people usually take - our job doesn't have to keep us if we take more than 17 weeks in a year). While I was gone, everyone in my dept was offered a 4/10 work week except managers and me. I am the Exec. Asst. to the boss and make half as much as the managers.

I want to ask my boss to give me some flexibility in my hrs. I plan to work 7:45-5:15 every day but I want to leave at 3:15pm one day a week (to work on my Master's) and I also need to take an hour one day a week to work with Marino and his physical therapist at daycare (1/2 a mile from work). If I only take a half hour for lunch everyday (except the day I take an hour for therapy), I'd still be working more than 40 hrs a week.

My questions are 1) does this sound reasonable and 2) should I wait until I go back to ask for this? I need to know ASAP to register for classes, but this schedule wouldn't start for 2 more months. Should I email my boss and ask?

I'm nervous!!

TIA!

Re: Need Advice on Asking For Flex Hours

• Options

Check out this website for a helpful proposal.  A compressed workweek is discussed on page 18.  I can see why they would want to keep you in the office all week if the managers are all there b/c I presume that you are working directly with them as the exec. asst.  But it stinks that everyone else was offered the 4/10 and not you, too.  What was the company's reasoning for doing that?  If it would benefit you to state that in your proposal, you could.  I would also think it would be a benefit to the company for you to get your masters, unless you will leave.  Then, you might just need an understanding boss.  Have you talked to your boss at all about the physical therapy part?  To me, these are three very different issues. 

I would put it all in writing and call and schedule a time to talk to your boss about it before you go back, especially if you need to register for a class before you return on the 17th. 

Good luck!

• Options
    imagebeenbizzy:

Check out this website for a helpful proposal.  A compressed workweek is discussed on page 18.  I

Oops.  Here is the website: https://www.workoptions.com/MaxMaternityLeave.pdf

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    1) yes it sounds reasonable

2) I would wait until you go back so you can propose it face-to-face. And since the schedule wouldn't start for two more months, that still gives them plenty of heads-up

I could see them not wanting you to leave early for class, but I can't imagine them not allowing you an hour once a week for YS's PT.d

Be sure to mention your willingness to compromise (taking shorter lunches, coming in early, etc).

Good luck!
  • Options
    I think this sounds like a good plan, I would hope they would be willing to work with you.  I have a flex schedule with my work, I just went back today, I work 3 days a week in the office and 1 day from home, I am on 80% time for the next 6 months.  I would say you have nothing to lose by asking, if you need to know right away I would send an e-mail or call your boss.....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"