February 2011 Moms
Options

another fun-in-the-sun question: sunscreen

I just read that we're not supposed to use sunscreen on babies until they're 6 months old without consulting a pediatrician.  Has anyone contacted their dr about it?  Just curious as we're heading into summer and plan to spend lots of time in the park and at the beach -- yay!!

ETA: I just put in a call to my pedi so will post when I hear back...

Re: another fun-in-the-sun question: sunscreen

• Options

our pediatrician brought it up at her 2 month appt, she said since it will be getting nice out soon that when we go out to put some sunscreen on her. i said oh good bc we will be doing a lot of outdoor stuff this summer and one of my concerns was going to the beach/pool/waterpark bc it says not to use until 6 months. she said the warning is more for people who put on some sunscreen and then think it is ok to leave their babies in the sun all day.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage

Natural M/C at 7 weeks 9.17.08 Natural M/C at 7 weeks 2.1.13

• Options
    Our pedi said it was fine for me to use it on her starting at 8 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    THANK YOU for posting this. I forgot to ask at our last appointmet. I was told by a fried not until 6 months but I've been seeing alot of commercials for sunscreen for babies.
  • Options

I would think sunscreen is fine, although I personally would try and see if there is a sensitive formula somewhere as my DS seems to be prone to break outs.

Obviously, you are going to still want to put a hat to shade your LO's face on and the most clothing you can without having your LO overheat plus keeping them in the shade as much as possible too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I read somewhere on here that it's okay to use certain sunscreens/sunblocks  depending on the ingredients. Some formulas are physical blockers I guess, and some block the rays with chemicals. I guess the physical blockers are okay to get and the chemical ones aren't good for little babies (although I prefer to never use them). I bought California Baby brand.. which is supposed to be okay and doesn't contain harsh chemicals.
  • Options
    I brought it up at his 1 month appt. She said that she'd rather him wear sunscreen then get a burn. I have the aveeno SPF 55 and she said it was fine.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    My pedi says no sunscreen for 6 months... and to keep her out of the sun.  Well we live in the South.  It's already hot and we're not even into summer yet.  We will be going to the beach and pool and I don't want her to get burned... so I'll probably go ahead and put sunscreen on her.  I think the 6 month thing is a little old school.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagesarag0116:
    My pedi says no sunscreen for 6 months... and to keep her out of the sun.  Well we live in the South.  It's already hot and we're not even into summer yet.  We will be going to the beach and pool and I don't want her to get burned... so I'll probably go ahead and put sunscreen on her.  I think the 6 month thing is a little old school.

LOL I think it's funny you call SC the south! I'm FL Native though, so everything is North to me. You'd be a northerner in my eyes!

But it's hot out here as well. Ladies, try to use one of those sunscreen sticks. Less mess, no dry time or baby wiping it everywhere on clothing or strollers. It's awesome, I need to get more this year.

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    I was freaking out about this- there is way to much to do in the summer to be stuck inside! For our first day long outside outing, I bought California Babies- it's a block, not a screen, so it doesn't have all the chemicals- and reapplied every hour. I think PP was right in saying the warning is not only for the chemicals, but also for people who think it's ok to apply once and done- it's very important to keep on top of reapplying! California Babies is expensive and GOOPY- like doesn't rub in all the way goopy- my son had a whitish haze. But that's just it doing it's job- he didn't get burned at all (I was obsessed with putting it on him and fried the h*ll outta myself). If you don't bath LO every day, you should probably plan on bathing him the days you use sunscreen- I imagine it may block pores.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageAllysunC:

I would think sunscreen is fine, although I personally would try and see if there is a sensitive formula somewhere as my DS seems to be prone to break outs.

Obviously, you are going to still want to put a hat to shade your LO's face on and the most clothing you can without having your LO overheat plus keeping them in the shade as much as possible too.

i was told to use one that had zinc as the first ingredient or something like that. I just remember the brands I was told to get. The california baby, Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby SPF 60, or Little Twig, make sure all of them are in the liquid form not the stick our young lo's are prone to getting rashes from the stick form. NEVER use banana boat or coppertone on our young ones. I am a Hawaii mommy we know sun screen.

• Options
    Our pedi said to wait until 6 months to fully use sunscreen.  She said we can use it sparingly now but to test a small amount of the sunscreen out on the back of DD leg before using it all over.  But DD has sensitive skin so that might be why she suggested we test first.  She also recommended the Neutrogena and Aveeno sunscreens since they are less irritating.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"