LGBT Parenting
Options

PCP/TTC/ATP Wednesday

How's it going ladies?  QOTDs?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PCP/TTC/ATP Wednesday

• Options

Have I mentioned my stress level lately?  Having two kids has been tough; reteaching one to live by our values and rules, and always reminding the other not to be a tattle tale.

Izzie is doing about as well as can be expected for being with us for 2 weeks.  We are working through some issues and sadness.  Potty training (only at night and naps) has gotten worse, I am switching gears to see if my new plan will work better.

A is doing a lot better with her jealousy and is starting to have more fun with Iz.  She has learned that it's ok to ask (politely) for Iz to stop doing something that is bugging her.  She brought home a basic grade for writing the other day, we talked about it and her work was much improved the next day.

We are already planning Izzie's birthday party, I found a cute (cheap!) print-your-own party package on Etsy last night, it's ocean themed to go along with the blow-up whale waterslide we are renting.  The joy of a summer birthday in California, water is a must!

QOTD: 2brides and CT got me thinking about this...  Do/will you let your child(ren) pick their birthday party themes even if it's not "gender appropriate"?

• Options
    imagebutterflygrooves:

Izzie is doing about as well as can be expected for being with us for 2 weeks.  We are working through some issues and sadness.  Potty training (only at night and naps) has gotten worse, I am switching gears to see if my new plan will work better.

am i reading this right that she's PTed for waking hours but wetting for naps and bed?  If so, she is (and you are) doing awesome!  I was shocked when i learned how rare it was for foster kids to be PTed at 3 1/2 and regression in progress after a move is so common its to be expected.  Obviously its your kid so your call on how aggressive to be, but I wouldnt worry about it at all.  In fact, I dont - at almost 5 Sprout still regularly has accidents during nap and at night and all his professionals (SW, pedi, therapist, ect) agree that its no big deal.

I know you didnt ask for any advice but keep in mind that Izzie is still so new to your house.  Its a huge adjustment for all (and being stressed is totally normal!!) - it might be a good idea to slow down and tackle one issue at a time rather than all of them at once.  She's just experienced a trauma and as well as she seems to be handling it outwardly, PT regression and other things are signs that she may still be reeling inside.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagebutterflygrooves:

QOTD: 2brides and CT got me thinking about this...  Do/will you let your child(ren) pick their birthday party themes even if it's not "gender appropriate"?

Yes.  But I think it's easier for girls to get away with picking 'boy' themes. If it's a theme we don't agree with for other reasons we would obviously veto the choice but if for example she wanted a train theme party she would get it.

As for things here, DD has gone through a major intellectual growth spurt.  She does not crawl at all anymore.  She will point out cow, dog, etc.  When asked to go get a block or ball she will.  She is even trying to stack her blocks.  I'm pretty sure she has picked up the sign for dog and will catch her using it every now and again.  I can't believe she is old enough for all these things - just amazing!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Carter picked up a new habit while at camp last week of saying, "OH MY GOD!" Not cool coming out of a 4y old mouth. So, we've spent the week trying to explain why it isn't appropriate and that he needs to go back to his previous, "OH MY WORD!" :)

Grayson is thankfully over his mysterious illness. He was lethargic with a low grade fever for 2 days but with no other symptoms. Based on his behavior last night at bedtime, I was sure I was going to be staying home with him today. But he woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed and was a ball of energy this morning so off to school he went.

Yes, we are open to whatever theme they want. Right now Gray says he wants Littlest Pet Shop, but I will not be surprised if he chooses a Lego cake if they have one since he is really into the little Lego people. Actually it would be easier for me to purchase a Littlest Pet Shop cake for my son than get Transformers for my other son (too much violence.) :P

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagectbride08:

am i reading this right that she's PTed for waking hours but wetting for naps and bed?  If so, she is (and you are) doing awesome!  I was shocked when i learned how rare it was for foster kids to be PTed at 3 1/2 and regression in progress after a move is so common its to be expected.  Obviously its your kid so your call on how aggressive to be, but I wouldnt worry about it at all.  In fact, I dont - at almost 5 Sprout still regularly has accidents during nap and at night and all his professionals (SW, pedi, therapist, ect) agree that its no big deal.

Both of my almost 5y old non-foster care kids still have daytime waking hours accidents. They get so busy playing, etc that they forget to go. Sigh.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Two - I remember RB going through the same thing just after she turned a year. it was so amazing to me.  Such a fun time! enjoy her :)

All is normal over here.  Daisy seems to be recovering well from her cold.  She's such a chatty little love bug :) I am starting to wonder when she's going to roll over...its hard not to compare the two girls on milestones but I know its important not to since its very likely thier development will be different.  RB is loving her half days in the "big kid" room - she's so proud of all the new projects she brings home and is picking up a ton of new words.  I also love that she sees the other kids potty training and is expressing an interest.  oh how lovely only one in diapers would be! Sprout's had a great week and is starting to talk a lot about his "kindergarten school" - its good to see him be excited about it (considering after registration he threw a big fit and said he didnt want to go there Stick out tongue ).  In the next couple weeks we've got K orientation and a hearing for the kids' case.  Fingers crossed it all goes well.

QOTD: We dont have any problem with the kids picking a "opposite gender" theme party.  I totally forsee a construction trucks theme in RB's future :P  The only thing i would veto is somethign that is inappropriate or too violent...but even then I would try to be flexible.  Like with the bumblebee party Sprout was considering.  I didnt love it and it will be many years before he's allowed to actually watch the show, but would pictures of transformers on plates adn the cake kill me? no.  We would have made it work if he really stuck with it. 

• Options
    imagectbride08:
    imagebutterflygrooves:

I know you didnt ask for any advice but keep in mind that Izzie is still so new to your house.  Its a huge adjustment for all (and being stressed is totally normal!!) - it might be a good idea to slow down and tackle one issue at a time rather than all of them at once.  She's just experienced a trauma and as well as she seems to be handling it outwardly, PT regression and other things are signs that she may still be reeling inside.

Yes CT, we were amazed that she was potty trained too.  Her foster mom told us that she had accidents every night and during every nap, she never wet with us until last week.  No big deal, I completely get it, A went through nighttime PT regression when my ex and I split up so I understand it.  I haven't been pushing the issue but liquids are limited an hour before bed and she uses the restroom before bed.  My new plan of action consists of waking her up before I get in bed so she can go pee again.  I remind her that she can get up to use the restroom anytime she needs to (we keep a nightlight on in the bathroom at night) and she sometimes chooses to stay in bed and pee. 

She has only wet herself during the day two or three times, twice when she was playing and held it for too long, once when we had to hurry out of the house in the morning and she was still wearing her pull-up (had used the restroom before we left) and decided to pee rather than wait until we got home.

There really aren't a ton of issues to tackle with her, I'm thankful for that.  Her sadness over the move and potty training are the main things.  We've been loving on her as much as possible, she is becoming more physically affectionate (hugs and kisses, cuddles) and starting to speak more.  We are moving forward slowly.

QOTD: I forgot to answer it in my original post so here goes.  The girls can pick pretty much anything they want as long as it isn't too mature or violent.  A had a Cowgirl party this year and a Pirate party last year.  This year Iz wanted a Frog party and then decided she wanted a water party so we are going with an ocean theme in blues and greens for her.

• Options
    imagebutterflygrooves:

Yes, Melanie and I will let our child pick their theme when old enough to decide. If we have a son and he wants a Ballerina party then let the Tu-Tu's roar.   Melanie is an artist and I am pretty creative so I think its A-OK- we think differently than most.

I have a friend who has a son and he was 3 and traded his Paci's for a scooter and he wanted a PINK scooter his dad was besides himself - I see nothing wrong with it - and for Halloween he wanted to be purple butterfly and again his dad had a issue again i see nothing wrong with it....

My mom was really upset that I bought a onsie that was pretty feminine and said are you going to put your son if you have one in it - and I said Yes I like the onsie and I dont care-  Maybe me being gay has something to do with the gender binary I dont know... but if Lil Borris ( not using this name) wants to wear a tu tu and cowboy boots to school so be it - 

- J

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    imagebutterflygrooves:

We've been loving E&G these days, they love outside, and ARE SLEEPING!! YAY sleep!

As for the QOTD, we talk about this issue- gender crap- in our house everyday. Myself, I have a Master's in Women's Studies, and work in the LGBT movement, so you can figure how I feel about gendered choices. DW is a little more traditional (our son should play baseball/football etc).

Since they are 9mo, it hasn't been an issue yet, they both wear pretty generic clothes etc. BUT Griffin looks amazing in pink, since he's fair and has light blue eyes, so, the reality is, if he chooses to wear pink, he'll look great!

As far as their Bday theme/invites, we usually go the primary color route, so for this year, we've dodged that bullet.

Funny story- on Sunday, at E's sisters easter egg hunt, they bought the babies baskets to use, since its their first hunt. One is pink,  and one is blue. I picked them up and showed Griffin, and asked (loudly) "Which one do you want to use honey?" And you could have heard a pin drop with E's family- because obviously the world would come to an end if my son used a pink easter basket- and by used, I mean chewed on since he's 9 MONTHS OLD PEOPLE!!

image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"