Pre-School and Daycare
Options

potty question

hi there! i'm from the august 2010 board. i'd like to purchase a potty for ds and was just wondering if any of you have found one that you really love. i've been reading a lot about potty training and realized we're one of the few countries that wait until 2 to start playing this whole game with our kids. i don't expect ds to be using a toilet next month but i'd like to start getting him familiar with one and just go from there. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Re: potty question

• Options

We loved the bjorn travel potty for early potty training (out of diapers at 20 months) because it was small but has a huge penis guard.

I tried to get them on a potty topper instead of a stand alone potty ASAP once they got the hang of things because it's fairly disgusting to clean out the stand alone potties.

Again - penis guard is BIG for boys even with the topper.  Saves many messes until they figure out how to get it pointed down on their own.

And there's a couple of us here who did elimination communication so we don't bink at the concept of starting (and finishing) training earlier than most.

My youngest was on the potty at 3 months old and someone else on here was doing it pretty much from birth I believe.

GL to you!

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of the baby bjorn ones.  We bought DD one that fits on the toilet (one of the few that fits elongated seats well) as well as one of the little ones that sits on the floor.  She asked to use the potty at 18 months (took a couple minutes for me to catch on!) and we bought the seats afterwards.  I think one of the reasons she wanted to start so early was that I always took her into the bathroom with me and narrated what I was doing.  I strongly recommend that.  She's a little over 3 now and has been fully daytime trained for a year and has been without naptime diapers for about 9 months. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    thank you both very much!! do you happen to have any recs for EC resources? i just joined the yahoo EC group for my area but i'd like to find a good book or two. 
  • Options

imagethemerlins:
    thank you both very much!! do you happen to have any recs for EC resources? i just joined the yahoo EC group for my area but i'd like to find a good book or two. 

I read "Early Start Potty Training" when DS #1 came to me at 15 months and told me he needed to poop.  I was due with #2 in 2 months and had zero clue what to do with a 15 month old communicating about potty stuff so I read up.

That's the book that introduced me to the concept of EC.  It made sense to me - especially understanding how very different the norms are in other cultures.  We were in the bathroom with the older one anyway so I put the baby on the potty fully expecting nothing to happen and almost fell over when he peed on the potty at 3 months old.  

I'm not a tree hugger.  My friends and family were stunned to see me go so "granola" on this (their words, not mine).

But hey - it worked!

I'm not uber green but I'm super cheap.  I loved all the diapers we didn't use.  Nothing beats putting a dry diaper back on a kiddo after they've used the potty! 

"Early Start Potty Training" has good recommendations for different approaches based on the child's age range.   It's got an overview in the beginning and then breaks down into age ranges and tools.  

HTH! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    I personally would just use a potty ring that goes on the regular toilet.  Many people I know that used a potty chair had to basically retrain their child to use the real thing and often had issues with their child going anywhere but at home.  I do keep a fold up potty ring in the car for travel and use it only when places where there is not a public bathroom.  It is the type that is a ring, has legs that fold up and you use a bag with it. It works great.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"