Two Under 2

Terrified of Repeat C/S with a 19mth old...

I'm am starting to have a lot of anxiety thinking about this baby coming in 38 days...my 18mth old is very independent which I'm thankful for but he still likes to be carried quite a bit.  I usually only carry him up the stairs to/from bed and at this point I have to carry him to the car cause if I let him walk he takes off or gets mad when he has to get in the car....If you've had a RCS how did you handle not being able to lift LO #1?!  I have help of course my DH will be around and my mom and MIL will be here to help us too...but he likes his Mama snuggles so I'm just nervous about how it's all going to unfold...TIA for any advice you might have!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Terrified of Repeat C/S with a 19mth old...

• It really wasnt that bad. I had DH home for the first 3 weeks so I took it easy. When he went back to work, I just improvised things. I fed DS many meals out of his high chair so I didnt have to lift him up. He napped on the couch with me or in our bed. I waited until 4 weeks PP to drive with DS without DH around so I didnt have to lift him in the carseat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 17 months apart here.

Like so many other things with 2u2 you just DO IT.

You'll figure out ways to juggle the toddler.  Heck... I was avoiding lifting him by the end of my pregnancy any way!

And  - poll the c/s moms on here.  Over half of us didn't wait the full 2 weeks to pick up our toddlers.  (one woman was saying she was supposed to wait SIX weeks!)

You do what you have to do when you have to do it.

You bend at the knees, go slow and listen to your body.

You have him climb up on the sofa to snuggle up there with you, etc. 

It'll all come together! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband had to go back to work 4 days after we brought DS home, so I had to do it. I tried to do it as little as possible and I put a small stool next to my bed and the chair I usually sat in so DD could climb up to me. I still lifted her in and out of the car seat and high chair and while I think I was a bit sore for longer (in comparison to when I had DD) it wasn't bad and I won't do anything differently this time around.

• it isn't bad if you have help.  It is sort of hard to remember sometimes...but better not to pick them up then to end up back in the hospital because you opened up.  I probably did it earlier than I should have.  It works out fine though :)

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Thanks Ladies, I know this falls under the category of things that you just deal with!  So, we'll just have to go with the flow!
  • I see lots of good responses but I wanted to add something.  My RCS was so much easier than my first C.  I mean it was amazing, seriously!  I was up and showered 6-8 hours after the RCS and was walking around to work out all the air bubbles, etc.  I had my RCS on a tuesday and was at home friday taking my oldest to the park.  I didn't really pick him up until about 10 days pp but I probably could have donei it sooner.  I was so nervous about having this RCS that I was sure it would be the same type of recovery as #1.  Here's hoping yours is just as easy!
    DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have nothing to add- but thanks for asking- I had the same concern and the answers were helpful for me.
  • imagelkf041:
    I see lots of good responses but I wanted to add something.  My RCS was so much easier than my first C.  I mean it was amazing, seriously!  I was up and showered 6-8 hours after the RCS and was walking around to work out all the air bubbles, etc.  I had my RCS on a tuesday and was at home friday taking my oldest to the park.  I didn't really pick him up until about 10 days pp but I probably could have donei it sooner.  I was so nervous about having this RCS that I was sure it would be the same type of recovery as #1.  Here's hoping yours is just as easy!

Wow, thanks for sharing - that's so encouraging! I had such a rough time with #1 (labor that resulted in c/s)... I'm much looking forward to my scheduled, RCS. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

image image
  • My litte ones are 14 months apart and I was worried about my toddler needing me to pick him up all of the time. He is a very busy boy and not need me too much. I also had a very quick recovery, fortunately, and was able to pick him up about 7 days post op. My toddler was unhappy that I could not pick him up that first week,, which made me sad, but luckily I had lots of help from hubby and grandmas. Everyone I talk to says that 2nd C-sec recovery is much better than the first and I have to agree. Best wishes!
  • My babies are 18 months apart and I didn't have any issues with my csection and DS. I asked my dr what i can do he said to use your judgement and it was ok to pick him up if i have to but just to be careful. I picked him up the day i came home from the hospital b/c i missed him so much. 
    **the new version of the nest ate my pictures and I can't get them back again***
  • Our DS was 23 months old when DD was born.   I had a hard time because I had limited help after 10 days.   My husband got 1 (ONE) day off work - the day she was born.  My mom brought us home from the hospital.  She stayed until the next day.   In-laws arrived 2 days later (on a Monday).   They were here for maybe 3 days, and were somewhat helpful.  The majority of it, though, I just did.   I have no doubts that I have adhesions now from lifting up DS before I should have.  But, I did not really have a choice.

This time around should be a little bit better.  Both kids can get in/out of bed by themselves.   DS can do his own seat buckles.  DD can get into her carseat most of the time, and we're working on encouraging her to do so more frequently so I don't have to pick her up.

Honestly, you do what you can (or what you must), you don't sweat the other stuff you can't do, and you survive. 

• I didn't have a rc/s, but a first time c/s with #3 because she was breech.  I have a 2.5yo with special needs and a 1yo.  My mom was home to help out the first two weeks, but other than that I am on my own.  Let me just say that the pain meds and the belly wrap thing really helped.  You will survive & your body will let you know if you are over doing it.  Try not to stress about it.  All in all the recovery period is such a short time in your life, that it will be over before you know it.
    imageimageimageimageimage 9/07 m/c baby boy @ 18wks, 4/09 m/c @ 4.5wks
  • Thanks so much everyone - this is making me feel a lot better about things....I talked to my OB today about my anxiety and she said that my body will basically tell me if I'm over doing it...which makes sense!  Thanks for all the advice and positive experiences!
  • It wasn't that bad.  Recovery with a repeat c/s is much easier and faster.  (I couldn't even get out of bed on my own for a week and a half after my emergency c/s with DS.  After my repeat c/s with DD, I was able to get in and out of bed on my own.)  My DS was 18.5 mo. when DD was born, and he also likes to be picked up/carried.  My parents or DH were home the first 3 weeks, and DS stayed in daycare 3 days a week. DH did daycare drop off and pick up until 6 weeks post-delivery.  We put DS in a toddler bed before DD arrived so that I wouldn't have to worry about lifting him in and out of a crib if DH wasn't available.

One thing I did a lot is sit on the couch and then help pull DS onto the couch (to read or snuggle).  He did most of the work to get up, and that way I didn't have to completely pick him up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"