VBAC
Options

Update: ?'s to ask my Dr ..what she said

CCC ACCC A member

So i went for my appt and it was great! She set all my worries at ease...but i think she scared my hubby.

We all decided to make an induction a last resort..as far as what we are going to do with the kids, we dont know yet.

She is ALL about VBAC and is glad i had considered the option. I guess the only reason she had said we should talk about it at 37 wks was because she wanted to see how "favorable" I was. I guess when she told me we would discuss it at 37 wks i assumed she didnt want to dicuss it anytime b4 then. I was wrong, she assumed I asked her all the ?'s I had and had already done research on it.. so my fault for not being clear with her I guess.

She did mention that I am a great candidate and if for any reason the VBAC didnt go as planned I could go to OR and have a csection. This is where my DH got concerned..she did mention that from the time a VBAC goes bad to the time i go to deliver via csection it could be 10 min and then possible baby loss. She said this is the less than 1% chance..but she wanted me to know all the risks.

She said that if she didnt feel i would have good chances she would have told me no from the get go.

Im so excited! T&P for a great VBAC!!

Re: Update: ?'s to ask my Dr ..what she said

• Options

Yeah!  Great update. 

I think DHs are more scared the 2nd time no matter what.  The first time, they don't recognize or pay attention to the risks because it's abstract for them.  Once they've lived through it, they understand how much is at risk.  My DH is terrified of even having another baby.  Hopefully, he'll get more comfortable as time passes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    CCC ACCC A member

This is DHs 6th baby.. he had 2 with xwife (she had csections both times) and then my first 2 were vaginal and my 3rd was csection. He is so scared that i will be the 1 % and then we wont have atake home baby and i may rupture.

I dont really know what to tell him to ease his mind.

He just keeps telling me to think about it and if thats what i want then he is okay with it.

**Also, I want to thank all you ladies who gave me all the good ?'s to ask and made me feel more comfortable with the thought of VBAC!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

A couple things to ease your H's mind (and yours!)

The VBAC success rate for women with a previous vaginal delivery is 83%

A prior vaginal birth (before or after the previous cesarean delivery) decreases the risk of uterine rupture to approximately 600 per 100,000 (vs 778 with no previous vaginal deliveries).

Uterine rupture does NOT always end up hurting the baby! Although the uterine rupture rate is around 1%, that doesn't distinguish between small separations that cause no real issues vs. catastrophic rupture (which is what most people picture when you hear "uterine rupture"). The risk of catastrophic rupture that results in fetal death in a term pregnancy is less than 3%- in other words, <3% of a < 1% risk of fetal death.

source: (I would definitely recommend reading this!) https://consensus.nih.gov/2010/vbac.htm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    CCC ACCC A member
    imagehonkytonk_kid:

A couple things to ease your H's mind (and yours!)

The VBAC success rate for women with a previous vaginal delivery is 83%

A prior vaginal birth (before or after the previous cesarean delivery) decreases the risk of uterine rupture to approximately 600 per 100,000 (vs 778 with no previous vaginal deliveries).

Uterine rupture does NOT always end up hurting the baby! Although the uterine rupture rate is around 1%, that doesn't distinguish between small separations that cause no real issues vs. catastrophic rupture (which is what most people picture when you hear "uterine rupture"). The risk of catastrophic rupture that results in fetal death in a term pregnancy is less than 3%- in other words, <3% of a < 1% risk of fetal death.

source: (I would definitely recommend reading this!) https://consensus.nih.gov/2010/vbac.htm

Thanks! Im going to send this to my email so he can read..i dont want to mess up the facts and i really want him to be "100% on board"

• Options

I'm glad you feel good about your OB.  I know you feel like she's 100% supportive, but I kind of wonder why she brought up the possibility of losing the baby?  The odds of uterine rupture are about the same as the odds of another birth emergency, which is why organizations like ICAN protest VBAC bans --- if a hospital isn't equipped to do an emergency c-section on a VBAC mom, how could they perform an emergency c-section on a non-VBAC mom (since the odds of other emergencies are so similar, around 1%)?  Also, as PP have said, not all ruptures are catastrophic.  The odds of catastrophy (the <3% of 1%) when you do the math are .03%.  I just wonder why she felt compelled to bring up baby loss, particularly when she didn't mention the risks of the alternative, rcs.  Not discussing risks of both choices can be problematic IMO.

Having seen other moms post about bait and switches right around 37 weeks, there would still be a little doubt in the back of my mind about this OB.  Do you have a local ICAN chapter that has anyone who's delivered with her?  That could be a really good sign.

I hope your pregnancy and delivery go well!  Good for you for asking your questions and advocating for yourself.  Keep us posted.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"