Upstate NY Babies

NBR: state of the world

I try to stay involved with what's going on in the world- and I just read an article about China passing the US as the #1 economy sooner than we think (somewhere like 2016...)

anyone have thoughts? concerns? This a totally flame free post- just wondering if you guys have any feelings- or care... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NBR: state of the world

• Well I don't think it's much of a surprise.  They are buying up the world debt as well as much of the natural resources.  They have a lock on many resources/products that make it near impossible for others to compete.  Unfortunately we and many other countries have sat by and let it happen.  Take Afghanistan for example.  The world's largest lithium reserves were found there.  The Chinese come in and get the contract to mine it.  Ummmm - we're f*cking propping up that country (and destorying it, but that's another story) and we can't even get the damn contract? Oh but guess what? We're spending millions of dollars protecting the mines and roads to the mines so the Chinese workers can be there safely.  Boggles my mind.  Senator Schumer has actually been discussing this lately.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think we are a gluttonous America.  I think America's problem is bigger than any democrat or republican could ever fix.  We want great pay, huge benefits and our gevernment to take care of us when we don't get it. But then we want everything under the sun but don't want to pay prices that would allow the wages and benefits to back it up.  We have masses of our society who feel that they do not have to work for a living, and others who cannot find work that will pay them more than they get through Welfare, unemployment, medicaid, food stamps, section 8, and WIC.  I think those programs are wonderful for ppl who use them as they were intended, but I think the majority who use them don't really want to get off them. 

We rely far too much on credit, amazingly we didn't learn a lesson from this 4-5 yrs ago when the stock market crashed and the loan industry nearly shut down forcing businesses to shut down.  We shouldn't spend so much money and resources that we don't even have!  This goes for the government, businesses AND individuals.

If we look back, I think the late 40s and 50s set this in motion.  This is the time when we decided that we had to have more, more, more.  This is when employers started offering benefits to employees to make jobs more attractive, now we feel entitled to them.  We went from single income households to double income households which helped inflation and sparked more spending.

Oh, I can go on and on. 

• Loading the player...
  • Well, if this is flame free... I totally avoid "state of the world" news. I think it's scary and depressing. I'll just stay in my little bubble where everything will work it's self out eventually with the economy and clip coupons in the meantime ;)
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsWhiteonWhiteSt:
    Well, if this is flame free... I totally avoid "state of the world" news. I think it's scary and depressing. I'll just stay in my little bubble where everything will work it's self out eventually with the economy and clip coupons in the meantime ;)

This is me too.  DH on the other hand is all doom and gloom.  He keeps telling me how the dollar is losing value and that other countries will prefer non-dollars which will only make the dollar more worthless.  If you remember my whine from last week he had me watch an hour long scare-tactic video on youtube.  I told him afterwards that I don't want to know this stuff and I just want to keep going thinking everything is a-ok.

• I try not to get too bogged down with it.  I have a strong spiritual faith and rely on that when I start to feel any worry.  There was a guy on Oprah (Tom Shadyack) who has a new documentary out called I Am, talking about how to make the most out of your life and not to define your self by what you have....I really want to see this.  It sounds like it gets into the biology of humans and how we are wired to be cooperative instead of competitive and that unfortunately the world has gone in the wrong direction in many cases.  
    imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"