Blended Families
Options

Debating whether to start some drama...(LONG)

So, I am on my way out to lunch today when I get a call from my dad, who lives out of state.  He and his wife (the stepmonster) are driving back from Phoenix to Minnesota (where they live), and decided they would "leave a day early so they could stop here and see the grandkids for halloween".  Now - this would not be a problem if they had given us some indication last week - before we made plans for tonight.  As it is, my brother and his family, and I and my family always spend Halloween with my mom.  She likes to make everybody dinner, and because she lives in a good neighborhood with lots of kids, it's a great place for the kids to go trick or treating.  So - she's already got dinner planned and everything - not like we can just not visit her.

So basically, my dad expects us to drop everything with a few hours' notice and spend the evening with him.  Our obvious compromise is to invite Dad and the stepmonster to my mom's, which my mom ok'd, but which my mother is VERY uncomfortable with.  (My mom and dad had an extremely nasty divorce due to my dad's constant infidelity over 30 years ago. She hasn't gotten over it.   And the fact that he shafts his kids and grandkids at every opportunity hasn't helped. Oh, and also?  The infidelity hasn't changed.)

Also adding to the mix is the fact that my dad screwed over my younger brother in a business deal earlier this year, and has done nothing to help my other brother get his business going, even when Dad had the money to do so.  Dad's had the money to go on vacations every month, and has bought two separate houses aside from his main home, but hasn't ever helped his kids.

So...at first I debated telling him not to bother even stopping.  Then I decided no - my niece and nephew at least will like to see him.  My DD, who is 14, is also pretty fed up with my dad and the crap he has pulled, so she has no interest in hanging out with him.  Now - I'm debating whether to just be rather bitchy to him to night, and make a point of telling him that none of us appreciate his lack of parental support, and that what he did to my brother was rather crappy. 

I am not sure what to do. (And before any of you think I'm some sort of spoiled kid griping because my dad hasn't given us things - couldn't be further from the truth.  My parents divorced when I was 3.  My dad has had hardly anything to do with us since then.  He was incredibly bad about paying his child support, and basically lived in the lap of luxury while my mother raised 3 children making $18k a year.  (I still don't know how she managed.)  I worked my own way through college on a scholarship, and my oldest brother didn't even go.  My younger brother moved up to MN to be near my dad, since he felt Dad was just misunderstood - and look where that ended - with my dad shafting him in the business deal and leaving him destitute with 3 kids of his own.

So to say I'm feeling a tad resentful tonight of Dad's perception that we'll just all rearrange our plans to suit him would be very, very generous.  I kind of want to rip him a new sphincter. 

What do you think?  Waste of good energy?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Debating whether to start some drama...(LONG)

• Options

I'd say "Sorry dad - tonite's a carzy night with Halloween and all and we have plans tonite for dinner with mom.  I'd love to see you, but I don't know how we'll squeeze it in unless you want to meet for breakfast tomorrow morning."   

They can sleep in a hotel and hit the road again after breakfast.

If he gets crappy on ya....just say very sweetly, "Sorry Dad!  I'd love to see you but we need a little more notice. Maybe next time!" 

• Options
    Ditto J+K
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto j+k. If this man never made the effort to be a father to you or your siblings, do not put yourself out. Enjoy your evening with your family, and let him know that while you would like to see him, you already have plans that you cannot cancel, and that next time he needs to give you more notice.
  • Options
    sorry I'm late but I would have done what J+K said.  It's pretty inconsiderate of him to assume you'd drop everything.  Especially when he knows what he's done to his children. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"